Author Topic: Potential Pitchers Duels? Nats host Mariners - Preview / Review  (Read 328 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I stopped doing these before the Boston series, and things fell apart. So doing one again with some time on my hands.

First thing that sticks out about this series is the pitching match ups. It's the Mariners young studs vs. 3 of the Nats better performing starters.

Game 1
- George Kirby: RHP, 4-4, 56.1 IP, 10 GS, 3.99 ERA/ 3.26 FIP, 23.5 K%, 2.2 BB%, LA 17.3%
- MacKenzie Gore: LHP, 2-4, 46.1 IP, 9 GS, 3.30 ER/ 3.15 FIP, 27.1 K%, 8.0 BB%, LA 13.8%
Game 2
- Logan Gilbert: RHP, 3-2, 64.2 IP, 10 GS 3.20 ERA / 3.55 FIP, .242 BABIP, 44 GB%
- Trevor Williams: RHP, 4-0, 46.0 IP, 9 GS, 2.35 / 2.81 FIP, .267 BABIP, 46.2 GB%
Game 3
- Brian Woo: RHP, 2-0, 15.2 IP, 3 GS, 0.57 ERA / 1.60 FIP, 27.3 K%, 3.6 BB%, .157 BABIP, 87.5 LOB%
- Mitchell Parker: RHP, 3-2, 44 IP, 7 GS, 3.32 ERA / 3.45 FIP, 47.3 GB%, .294 BABIP, 78.1 LOB%

With Gilbert and Kirby, the Mariners have been / look to get more innings than the Nats do with their starters. Kirby's control is a legend while Woo has gotten off to a similar start on BBs and Ks.  Gilbert throws mostly hard stuff, around 60% fastballs (96.8 mph) and cutters (92 MPH), with a slider in the upper 80, and a split and a curve around 83-84. Parker's results don't seem as luck-dependent as other starters in this series. Williams and Gore seem mostly 5 IP guys while Parker is 6+.

Seattle's offense (190 / 49) has scored less than the Nats (190/48) on a runs per game basis. Mariners are at 100 on wRC+ but have not run bases well, while the Nats are at 89 on wRC with strong base running.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
Similar teams with weak offenses but reasonable pitching.  Mariners team OPS is 23 points better than the Nats due to a little more power, but they don't have anywhere near the steals.  Key thing is for our pitchers to avoid the Hickey Shuffle and come after their hitters.   If I were them, I'd challenge our catchers, neither of whom can throw out opposing baserunners.  Either way, could be some quick 2-1, 3-2 games.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Excited to see Woo. Thats a guy I want to trade for.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
shouldn't woo be pitching first?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
well, let's scratch that potential pitchers duel on Sunday. The Nats have flipped Corbin and Parker in the rotation, with Corbin going Sunday against the Mariners and Parker going Monday vs. the Barves at the Battery Vomitorium. Better pitcher against the better hitting team that's also a pseudo-rival in the division, in the same way the mansion on the hill is in the same town as the shotgun shack.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Kirby aint crap

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He doesn't do it for Seattle because they have awesome starters, but Ryan Stanek holds an MLB record due to his time with Tampa Bay:

Listening to a recent game on Royals radio, I learned that Ryne Stanek holds the record for most “starts” of two innings or less. Now with the Seattle Mariners, the 32-year-old right-hander made 56 such appearances while serving as an opener for the Tampa Bay Rays in 2018-2019.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-matthew-lugo-has-been-bostons-top-performing-prospect/

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Good Corbin today?

Offline Five Banners