Author Topic: Reality bites - Break up the 2024 Juggernaut  (Read 779 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Re: Injuries 2024
« Reply #25: May 21, 2024, 09:51:06 AM »
No one seems to be addressing Rainey. He is not being used except in mop -up situations and is failing miserably. Does he have any options left? If the Nats DFA him what team would put in a claim and could they send him down rather than keep him on the 26 man. The Nats are now rostering two useless players in Nunez and Rainey.

Three useless players: Robles, Nunez, and Rainey. Send Nunez back to Miami. DFA Rainey and Robles to Rochester or Harrisburg.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: Injuries 2024
« Reply #26: May 21, 2024, 10:26:17 AM »
No one seems to be addressing Rainey. He is not being used except in mop -up situations and is failing miserably. Does he have any options left? If the Nats DFA him what team would put in a claim and could they send him down rather than keep him on the 26 man. The Nats are now rostering two useless players in Nunez and Rainey.

What happens when Gray comes back from his re-hab? Does he go to the rotation and it becomes a 6 man or is Williams traded? If it isn't a 6 man who goes to the BP?
They gave some excuse for not pitching Rainey for 2 weeks then pitching him on Sunday. I forget what it was. On the plus side, he hit 95. But everything else is a minus. I suspect / hope he's DFA'd when Gray is activated. It's possible that Irvin or Parker gets sent down to save some innings from them (allow for a  few short starts for Rochester), but Rainey could be waived and outrighted to Rochester if he's not claimed. At this point, I don't see anyone claiming him. He lacks options, and can't pitch at the MLB level.

Another move will be needed when Thomas is activated. That's probably when they'll pull the trigger on Robles. There is just no way on Earth they could consider sending Jacob Young down, and neither Nunez nor Vargas can be sent down. There's no other optionable guy other than your backup catcher or your best player, CJ. It's got to be Robles.

Once Gray is active, they have a few possibilities:
1) 6 man rotation, 7 man bullpen (DFA Rainey to do this and outright him after he clears waivers);
2) Send out Irvin or Parker to manage their innings (not really needed, I/M/O; they both can go 140-150);
3) DFA Rainey, move a starter (Corbin? Parker? Irvin?) to the bullpen and keep a 5 man rotation; or
4) Pull the trigger on a Williams deal.

As for Nunez, that's not really going to be an issue related to injuries.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/no-you-cant-trade-your-newfound-reliever-for-a-shiny-prospect/#comments

Article here is about the general idea that you can trade a recently hot reliever  for a top 100 prospect at the trade deadline, and Ben Clemens throws cold water on it. However, he seems to have stepped in it a bit when he mentioned Hunter Harvey in particular. Several commenters, not just Nats fan boys like us, point out Harvey has had a pretty good track record for a few years now in high leverage, and that he really does not fit the model.

The suggestion is while Finnegan's recent awesomeness, as well as Floro's lower lev performance, might be viewed skeptically, Harvey will be the one who will go at a premium.

Easy way to find the Harvey discussion in the comments is to go to the article, expand the comments, and then search for "Harvey."

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/no-you-cant-trade-your-newfound-reliever-for-a-shiny-prospect/#comments

FG gonna have to eat their words when Finnegan + Floro brings back Dustin Harris and Marc Church, and Harvey gets the Yankees' Lalane and Beeter

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
the funny thing about Floro is that he's had a pretty consistent FIP for since 2018, never topping 3.56, and that outlier was back in 2019. Other than that, it's topped out at 3.13. Last year's 4.76 ERA was in large part due to a .401 BABIP. He's getting help this year a bit for his .246 BABIP, but you'd figure smart teams would discount the ERA this year and last and just view him as a decent set up guy with good ground ball rates and pretty consistently suppressing homers.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
FG gonna have to eat their words when Finnegan + Floro brings back Dustin Harris and Marc Church, and Harvey gets the Yankees' Lalane and Beeter

I’m in love with Lalane as a prospect.  If he has pictures like darvish did in Japan, I’d make them my avatar

Massive body (6’7”) at least 55 control already and going to be sitting mid 90s with that body easy.