Author Topic: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat  (Read 1244 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat
« Reply #75: January 29, 2024, 08:41:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/29/nationals-joey-gallo-home-runs/

Joey Gallo is aware of how he is perceived across the major leagues: light-tower power, massive strikeout totals, willing to take the occasional walk. He has earned that billing over a nine-year career. But as he gets ready for his first season as a Washington National, the slugger is preparing to rewrite his own narrative.

“I want to be more than that,” said Gallo, who will be playing for his fifth team in the past four seasons. “I don’t really like being known as some strikeout-home run hitter guy, obviously. It’s not really my plan when I was growing up to be considered this three-true-outcome guy. ... But for me, I want to get back to putting the ball in play more.”
Gallo traveled to Oklahoma this offseason to train with former big leaguer Matt Holliday. Gallo felt that he was working the whole field during his best seasons earlier in his career with the Texas Rangers, with whom he made two all-star appearances. But he pulled the ball 57.9 percent of the time a year ago, the most of any season since his first full season. Breaking his habits midseason was difficult, but Gallo hopes an offseason of adjustments will allow him to make more contact without sacrificing his strengths.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: January 29, 2024, 11:55:47 PM »
This was my favorite part of the article:
“I don’t look at average, because I’d want to throw up if I do,” joked Gallo, who batted .177 with the Minnesota Twins a year ago, hitting 21 homers in 332 plate appearances to go with 142 strikeouts.

Gallo said he looks at his OPS and his isolated power (ISO), which measures a hitter’s power based on extra-base hits, when judging his success. So despite whiffing at an all-time high, Gallo finished with a .741 OPS and 101 OPS+, just above the major league average because of his high walk rate.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: February 08, 2024, 09:08:09 AM »
Not just our lefty power bat, but our new glove to love:
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/what-joey-gallo-brings-to-nationals-on-defense

“I love playing outfield,” Gallo said. “It’s obviously the position I won a couple Gold Gloves at. I like being able to bring value with my range and my arm out there. I like to just be athletic.”
“I never was an outfielder my whole life; I played infield,” Gallo said. “So I’m very comfortable at first base, and I thought I was able to do pretty well over there this year with Minnesota. I think having a big first baseman that can pick, make plays for you where you don’t have to worry about, ‘Maybe I throw a ball bad, I want to have a first baseman there that I can trust.’ So that’s what I try to bring at first base for our guys, and I’m excited about that.”
On playing with younger players:
“I had Adrián Beltré, Prince Fielder, Josh Hamilton. I had some very, very good leaders, and I learned a lot from those guys. I feel like I can translate that into helping these young guys that I’m going to have now. I love playing with young guys. They’re always energetic and they just want to play and have fun."

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #78: February 16, 2024, 04:32:55 AM »
So we've signed the kind of guy whose car gets totaled, by the dealership, while in for service...we hope he isn't 'Joey The Jinx'...  :lol:  ;)