Author Topic: Nationals Park  (Read 635 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Nationals Park
« Topic Start: January 22, 2024, 02:03:49 PM »
I just saw this article written in TalkNats last month. For one it mentions how Camden Yards always ranks near the top of stadium rankings and the Nats park near the bottom. I've said this before but I go to both stadiums because I live just south of Baltimore and to me Nats Park is a much better experience. It also talks about how Camden Yards was given a facelift at the 20 year mark and will Nats Park. The DC Events group is providing funds for yearly repairs to Nats Park so that shouldn't be an issue.

The main point is the article is saying when the lease for Nats Park is up in 2037 a new domed stadium should be built on the site. Nooooooo. It does say about 40 percent of the home games last year were threatened with inclement weather. I would of never guessed that but still no domed stadium.

To me, Nats Park is as nice as most stadiums because it's so open on the concourse around the stadium as opposed to so many stadiums like Camden Yards and the new Yankee Stadium that are closed in.

https://www.talknats.com/2023/12/19/2037-is-right-around-the-corner-and-it-is-not-too-early-to-speculate-on-the-future-of-nationals-park/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nationals Park
« Reply #1: January 22, 2024, 02:25:26 PM »
retractable roof is the right way to go.

Offline machpost

« Reply #2: January 22, 2024, 02:29:15 PM »
I think Nats Park has a lot of life left in it. My biggest complaint would be that the part of the lower concourse covered by the upper levels has a few choke points and gets a little too congested at times, but I don't think there's any realistic way to fix that. Now that they've finally figured out how to sell you a beer and a hot dog without wasting an inning and a half, the overall ballpark experience is excellent, in my opinion.

Offline machpost

« Reply #3: January 22, 2024, 02:32:10 PM »

I hold out hope that one day a brilliant engineer will figure out how to place some sort of cover on a ballpark that doesn't cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4: January 22, 2024, 02:51:58 PM »

The article mentions the frequency of the inclement weather affects attendance but when I go to a game I like the open atmosphere. I wouldn't prefer a retractable roof.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
« Reply #5: January 22, 2024, 03:36:41 PM »
The article mentions the frequency of the inclement weather affects attendance but when I go to a game I like the open atmosphere. I wouldn't prefer a retractable roof.

Most retractable roof stadiums feel like shoeboxes because they require support on four sides for the roof, and in many cases they're in markets that underperform their population.   The top draws almost always play in traditional, open air stadiums.  If the Braves and Twins can play outside, the Nats can too. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: January 22, 2024, 04:35:45 PM »
Most retractable roof stadiums feel like shoeboxes because they require support on four sides for the roof, and in many cases they're in markets that underperform their population.   The top draws almost always play in traditional, open air stadiums.  If the Braves and Twins can play outside, the Nats can too. 

I've not been to Seattle but that one looks terrific. The claustrophobia-inducing part of Houston I think is the left field more than the retractability. Climate wise, the Barves and the Os are probably most similar to DC.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: January 22, 2024, 06:25:45 PM »
Milwaukee seemed fine to me. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #8: January 23, 2024, 09:18:16 AM »
I've not been to Seattle but that one looks terrific. The claustrophobia-inducing part of Houston I think is the left field more than the retractability. Climate wise, the Barves and the Os are probably most similar to DC.
I want to go to T-Mobile Park for sure. I've always thought that should be THE standard in stadiums with a roof.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: January 23, 2024, 09:50:45 AM »
the thing at Nat's Park is that it would be a retrofit, so the lighting will have to be adjusted as well as other parts of the facility. The stadium is very tall as it is, so that roof is going to be way, way up.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: January 23, 2024, 09:55:09 AM »
the thing at Nat's Park is that it would be a retrofit, so the lighting will have to be adjusted as well as other parts of the facility. The stadium is very tall as it is, so that roof is going to be way, way up.

How much higher can they go without violating height restrictions?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #11: January 23, 2024, 10:11:07 AM »

The author suggested tearing Nats Park down, having the Nats play at a temporary location such as wherever the Commanders new stadium will be, and building a whole new stadium. There's no way anybody is going to pay that bill.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #12: January 23, 2024, 10:19:58 AM »
The one other argument the author makes for building a stadium with a retractable roof is possibly helping to lure the Olympics. I would think there's have to be some guarantee before that happened though. 

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #13: January 23, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »
When they first talked about building Nats Stadium I wanted them to have a retractable roof. Because of the frequency of washed out games. Between domes and retractable roofs I prefer the retractable roofs, becuase you still have a little bit of an open feel. Domes also just make me think Football and super fake astroturf. Hmm that is another factor. At least with a fully open stadium you can have real turf, even if it is specially cut and pasted to the facilitity. So I'm with the keep it open crowd on this one.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: January 23, 2024, 10:43:05 AM »
The author suggested tearing Nats Park down, having the Nats play at a temporary location such as wherever the Commanders new stadium will be, and building a whole new stadium. There's no way anybody is going to pay that bill.

The author assumes the nationals are far more popular than they really are

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: January 23, 2024, 12:56:12 PM »
:hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #16: January 23, 2024, 04:29:09 PM »
We should leave the Olympics to cities/states that don't mind losing a regulation crap-ton of money.

Also, baseball isn't an Olympic sport, is it? We have a just-fine baseball park. A retractable roof would be nice. A Metro system that stayed open until the game ended would be money better spent. :(

Between Baltimore and Washington there are three football stadiums (UMD included), at least two indoor basketball arenas (downtown, UMD, one of the larger northern VA schools could kick in space). Oh, and a purpose built soccer stadium.

The one other argument the author makes for building a stadium with a retractable roof is possibly helping to lure the Olympics. I would think there's have to be some guarantee before that happened though.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #17: January 23, 2024, 10:01:58 PM »
I want to go to T-Mobile Park for sure. I've always thought that should be THE standard in stadiums with a roof.

It's ok, nothing special.  It's not far from downtown but there's not much immediately surrounding the stadium.  It's also one of the only retractable roof stadiums without climate control, the roof just blocks the rain.  Seattle is a great place to see a game overall in July and August, weather's usually perfect.

I go to Chase Field a lot, and have gotten used to it and there's no alternative in Phoenix.  Also can't beat the LF pool and hot tub when it's filled with bikinis.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #18: January 23, 2024, 10:03:57 PM »
We should leave the Olympics to cities/states that don't mind losing a regulation crap-ton of money.

Also, baseball isn't an Olympic sport, is it? We have a just-fine baseball park. A retractable roof would be nice. A Metro system that stayed open until the game ended would be money better spent. :(

Between Baltimore and Washington there are three football stadiums (UMD included), at least two indoor basketball arenas (downtown, UMD, one of the larger northern VA schools could kick in space). Oh, and a purpose built soccer stadium.

They wouldn't use the stadium for baseball if it was used for the Olympics. I agree they should somehow make sure the metro stays open late enough for night baseball games. Maybe the earlier start will help some. This is supposed to be a major city, shouldn't have to worry about the Metro closing.

It does seem a far stretch to consider building the stadium for Olympics and no way they'd do it without the guarantee the Olympics were coming. I doubt they'd do it even then.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: January 24, 2024, 07:24:21 AM »
I go to Chase Field a lot, and have gotten used to it and there's no alternative in Phoenix.  Also can't beat the LF pool and hot tub when it's filled with bikinis.
well, as far as a pool of bikinis, I suppose having someone in them beats just bikinis as long as it isn't Borat.

If there were a roof, I would not want an AC or climate control. Just something for the rain. Maybe that cannot work in dc because it would be a sauna when closed

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #20: January 24, 2024, 07:53:51 AM »
well, as far as a pool of bikinis, I suppose having someone in them beats just bikinis as long as it isn't Borat.

If there were a roof, I would not want an AC or climate control. Just something for the rain. Maybe that cannot work in dc because it would be a sauna when closed

Uh .... what? You definitely want AC in that thing

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: January 24, 2024, 07:58:20 AM »
Uh .... what? You definitely want AC in that thing
for this climate, yes. I don't think you can just have a wing-like cover with open sides due to the gusts with thundershowers, so it'd be a sauna if it were buttoned up with no AC for an hour or two. I just hate AC and can tolerate 95 degree summer days at the park but for the sun.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #22: January 24, 2024, 11:26:02 AM »
well, as far as a pool of bikinis

Might be a good idea this year for the Nats.  Give fans a reason to come to the stadium who otherwise don't want to watch 100+ loss baseball.   

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: January 24, 2024, 03:02:59 PM »
Might as well have a pool, you know they’ll soak you either way.