Author Topic: The Most Underated Nat of All Time?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
Re: The Most Underated Nat of All Time?
« Reply #25: January 09, 2024, 08:16:21 AM »
Yes. Nick Johnson was a fave of mine when he was playing. I was crushed when he was traded for a minor league pitcher.

Offline machpost

« Reply #26: January 09, 2024, 08:40:45 AM »
Doug Fister's brief time here seems to have been mostly forgotten, but he went 16-6 with a 2.41 ERA in 2014.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: January 09, 2024, 09:00:02 AM »
Doug Fister's brief time here seems to have been mostly forgotten, but he went 16-6 with a 2.41 ERA in 2014.
Fister was the start of the pattern of bringing in the replacement for a potential free agent a year early so it overlapped with the impending departure. Fister was to be JZ's replacement, Turner I think was to be Desi's eventual replacement, Eaton for Harper, Corbin for Stras.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #28: January 09, 2024, 10:57:04 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember him, I forgot that he was that good in '14? That's pretty cool.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: January 09, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
Anyone remember Hector Carrasco?  I'll see myself out 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #30: January 09, 2024, 01:00:18 PM »
For 1 year Chad Cordero was awesome. The first half of 2005 when he saved so many games was a lot of fun.

• babble on
« Reply #31: January 09, 2024, 01:28:57 PM »
I think the moment the wheels came off was when he gave up a 9th inning slam to Khalil Greene in San Diego; Chief was never quite the same after that. 
For 1 year Chad Cordero was awesome. The first half of 2005 when he saved so many games was a lot of fun.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: January 09, 2024, 01:50:46 PM »
John Lannan, sorta good for a mediocre pitcher, but somehow better than most of what we had at the time

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #33: January 09, 2024, 01:56:15 PM »
NOOK

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: January 10, 2024, 07:21:59 AM »
NOOK
tops the OMG list. Provided the model for Nats baserunning. Robles is more of a complete brainlock when you toss in his bunts and weird throws, but no one tops Nook for a single basepath mistake. Really set a mark others can only shoot for

Offline rileyn

« Reply #35: January 10, 2024, 07:22:20 AM »
I think the moment the wheels came off was when he gave up a 9th inning slam to Khalil Greene in San Diego; Chief was never quite the same after that. 
Did you really have to bring that night up?  I need a drink now. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #36: January 11, 2024, 08:41:58 PM »
Nick the Stick immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title.  Glad he's getting some recognition.  His 2006 season ranks up there with some of the best Nats' offensive seasons for anyone not named Soto or Harper.

Also, I noticed Adam Dunn's name came up, but I have another favorite from the latter half of the "dark years": Josh Willingham.  I was a big proponent of bringing in Dunn around '08-'09, but I ended up liking Willingham better (both acquired during the same offseason).  He was basically Dunn with less power, but better situational hitting and less disastrous fielding/baserunning.  He also had a couple of really fun moments like the two grand slam game, and a walk-off homer to clinch a home series against the Woes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: January 11, 2024, 09:53:31 PM »
Willingham was one guy I was little surprised didn't do better in his post Nats career. I don't recall if he left here injured or what, but I thought his bat could play.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #38: January 12, 2024, 09:20:58 AM »
He did have his best season with the Twins two years after leaving the Nats. Smacked 35 homers and a 141 wRC+.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: January 15, 2024, 01:34:59 PM »
Yeah, he was still good for two years after leaving Washington.  His mid-30s seemed to hit him hard, which is par for the course when it comes to guys built like Willinghammer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: January 15, 2024, 01:42:44 PM »
Yeah, he was still good for two years after leaving Washington.  His mid-30s seemed to hit him hard, which is par for the course when it comes to guys built like Willinghammer.
yes, there was a lot to talk about with Willingham. Acquired along with Scott Olsen for Emilio Bonifacio, Jake Smolinski, and PJ Dean. Want to talk about an exciting off-season move? 11/10/08. May have been one of Bowden last deals.

• babble on
« Reply #41: January 15, 2024, 02:21:55 PM »
Willingham's cannonade against the Brewskis was nice positive blip in an otherwise shiyte year, unless one counts the rainy Reds game where they handed out Geico shirts commemorating the Stras draft or signing (can't remember which)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=4360211

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: January 15, 2024, 04:08:39 PM »
Man this thread reads like a who's who of forgotten years.  Talk about a trip down memory lane.

Offline blue911

« Reply #43: January 15, 2024, 04:51:08 PM »

He had the shortest arms.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #44: January 20, 2024, 10:40:16 PM »
Michael Morse

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #45: January 20, 2024, 10:41:37 PM »
Ian Desmond 2nd. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: January 21, 2024, 11:23:40 AM »
Michael Morse
The guy  who underrated Morse was AA, I think. Isn't it AA who traded him for Ryan Langerhans?

It was deals like that, Capps for Ramos, and Peacock, Norris, and Milone for Gio, that gave Rizzo the reputation for making great trades, which only grew after Meyers for Span and Souza for Turner and Ross. Rizzo got a little lucky, too, with Desi and JZ turning down their offers. All of this was pretty much through 2015. After that, it was chase relievers, chase Eaton, strip the system of what was left, and poor draft choices.  Best deals after 2015 were probably the trade for Gomes and I'd say the Doo and Madson deal.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #47: January 21, 2024, 01:32:55 PM »
The guy  who underrated Morse was AA, I think. Isn't it AA who traded him for Ryan Langerhans?

It was deals like that, Capps for Ramos, and Peacock, Norris, and Milone for Gio, that gave Rizzo the reputation for making great trades, which only grew after Meyers for Span and Souza for Turner and Ross. Rizzo got a little lucky, too, with Desi and JZ turning down their offers. All of this was pretty much through 2015. After that, it was chase relievers, chase Eaton, strip the system of what was left, and poor draft choices.  Best deals after 2015 were probably the trade for Gomes and I'd say the Doo and Madson deal.

I'm trying to think of Rizzo's worst trades. The ones where whoever we traded did better with their new teams than they did for us and our new guy not so much. The one guy off the top of my head is maybe trading Treinen.

Of course Bob Short caused the worst trade ever in Wasington baseball when he got Denny McLain.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: January 21, 2024, 05:11:23 PM »
I'm trying to think of Rizzo's worst trades. The ones where whoever we traded did better with their new teams than they did for us and our new guy not so much. The one guy off the top of my head is maybe trading Treinen.

Of course Bob Short caused the worst trade ever in Wasington baseball when he got Denny McLain.
Treinen was in the package that brought back Doo and Madsen.
Another win was Morse for AJ Cole, Treinen, and Ian Krol (who was flipped with Robbie Ray and Lombo for Fister).

Offline GataNats

« Reply #49: January 21, 2024, 10:54:20 PM »

The hell is AA?