Author Topic: Nationals Prospect Reports / Minor League Rankings: 2024  (Read 5224 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
MLB Pipeline top 100 updated:

Dylan Crews (7)
James Wood (14)
Brady House (45)
Yohandy Morales (100)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm not at all worried about Crews.

I bet Mike Rizzo is...

Offline imref

Offline imref

Updated Baseball America top 100 is out:

James Wood No. 5 (was 11)
Dylan Crews No. 7 (was 6)
Brady House No. 50 (was 57)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Updated Baseball America top 100 is out:

James Wood No. 5 (was 11)
Dylan Crews No. 7 (was 6)
Brady House No. 50 (was 57)

How many people infront of Crews were promoted? Did he just go down one spot? Or did a few people beyond James Wood hop him?

Offline imref

How many people infront of Crews were promoted? Did he just go down one spot? Or did a few people beyond James Wood hop him?
I don't have access to BBA, but digging around in what's been posted elsewhere.

Holliday is #1 still. Chourio #2, Evan Carter #3. I can't confirm #4 but Langford was in that spot for the last update. All four have been in the majors, three are there now.

Offline GataNats

House is a top 5 prospect

Offline imref

House is a top 5 prospect
Hassell will crack the top-100 at the rate he's going too.

Offline Senatorswin

Re: Follow the Prospects Master Thread
« Reply #133: May 06, 2024, 02:20:13 PM »
USA Today has an article on the top 5 farm systems and the bottom 5. The Nats are number 5 in the best category:

Five Best

5) Nationals ( Crews, Wood, House, Morales, Cavalli )
4) Pirates
3) Brewers
2) Cubs
1) Orioles

Five Worst

5) Braves
4) Royals
3) Athletics
2) Astros
1) Angels

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ranking-top-five-bottom-five-161821856.html

Online Natsinpwc

They were 12th in the MLB spring ranking.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline imref

Todd Boss shares the updated Nats top-30 according to BBA:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=18453

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Todd Boss shares the updated Nats top-30 according to BBA:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=18453
nice read. Be sure to read Tood's thoughts and the comment by an extremely handsome and intelligent man that's the first posted.

He's definitely on the Need Wood Now bandwagon, but he's also picked up on the Nunez Dilemma, which could also be called the James Stockdale "who am i? why am I  here" memorial question.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Where the heck is the Fangraphs system  evaluation for 2024? We are graduating guys who would have been on the list at the start of the year, and the facts on the ground are changing through current year performance.  Last year, I guess the update wasn't published until 6/6/23.

Offline imref

MiLB Pipeline updated its top 100:

5 - James Wood (up from 14)
7 - Dylan Crews (same as before)
38 -  Brady House (up from 48)
91 - Yohandy Morales. (new to the top-100)

https://www.mlb.com/news/updated-top-100-prospects-list-for-may-2024?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline GataNats

These guys are asinine when it comes to House.   He easily has the highest ceiling.   Elite level defense at third base as well

Offline nobleisthyname

Fangraphs finally has their 2024 evaluation of the Nats' farm system up today:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/washington-nationals-top-32-prospects-2024/

They're still very down on the overall depth of the Nats' system calling it below average. Andrew Alvarez doesn't even get a mention in the prospects of note section which is interesting. They also don't seem to believe in Parker's MLB success so far, nor Lara's or Hassell's resurgence.

Online Natsinpwc

Fangraphs finally has their 2024 evaluation of the Nats' farm system up today:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/washington-nationals-top-32-prospects-2024/

They're still very down on the overall depth of the Nats' system calling it below average. Andrew Alvarez doesn't even get a mention in the prospects of note section which is interesting. They also don't seem to believe in Parker's MLB success so far, nor Lara's or Hassell's resurgence.
Doesn’t matter much if they have depth as they don’t need to trade prospects yet.  Just need Wood, Crews and House to make it and at least one be very good.  Do they count Cavalli?

Offline nobleisthyname

Doesn’t matter much if they have depth as they don’t need to trade prospects yet.  Just need Wood, Crews and House to make it and at least one be very good.  Do they count Cavalli?

Yep. Top 4 are Wood, Crews, Cavalli, House in that order. All in their top-100 as well with Wood and Crews being top-10.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Interesting article. Good detail on those we know and have followed closely, although misses Andry Lara's  interesting season so far, and seems a year behind Mitchell Parker.  Weak article on Trey Lipscomb, as if they wrote it in June, 2023, dismissive of Pinckney and Yoyo, and, as usual, they think Baker is a nobody.

The essay seems to say that the Nats have great prospects like Wood, Crews, Cavalli (more than just a prospect, to me), and House, while Hassell and Millas don't matter, and the rest are ???

Offline nobleisthyname

I felt they were decently high on Baker and Millas actually.

Baker:
Baker does a lot of little things right on the baseball field; he is a competent and experienced bunter, and a heady base runner. We think he’d perform at an above-replacement level if given long-term big league run, but these 2B/LF profiles without power can be tough to roster.

Millas:
We think Millas has the look of a low-end regular or a premium backup, but because Ruiz is out of options and Adams has just one remaining, Millas is probably going to be stuck at Rochester unless the Nationals go out of their way to move one of the incumbents.

Both of those descriptions sound like they believe Baker and Millas would be competent major league players. For Millas especially it sounds like he would be an instant improvement over Ruiz and Adams since I'm not sure I would describe either as even a premium backup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Interesting article. Good detail on those we know and have followed closely, although misses Andry Lara's  interesting season so far, and seems a year behind Mitchell Parker.  Weak article on Trey Lipscomb, as if they wrote it in June, 2023, dismissive of Pinckney and Yoyo, and, as usual, they think Baker is a nobody.

The essay seems to say that the Nats have great prospects like Wood, Crews, Cavalli (more than just a prospect, to me), and House, while Hassell and Millas don't matter, and the rest are ???
I don't think they missed on Lara's season. They praise the slider as a source of swing and miss this season, it's just they question his other stuff.

W/r/t Pinckney, the comments have some questions about whether they somehow confused prospect profiles as it doesn't seem to match much except for maybe the hit tool.

Lip is Lip. Utility guy. We saw the problems throwing from 3rd when he was up. He's not lasting there, but doesn't have to if House can play there.

Pretty high on Baker and Millas, tbh, but, relative to most scouting reports, they've been consistently higher on both of them than others. Noble is 100% right. Saying Baker could be a competent backup if given a shot at regular playing time is pretty complementary, and saying Millas would have a shot at being a regular but for Ruiz's contract is also high praise. Noble is 100% right.