Author Topic: 2023-24 Off-Season Discussion  (Read 23807 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: 2023-24 Off-Season Discussion
« Reply #75: November 07, 2023, 11:51:55 AM »
If money werent the issue, I would agree. But money is and thats a 22 million dollar gamble that I dont think the Lerners will accept. Youd have to be convinced that Hoskins' power is back.
Guys come back from those knee injuries all the time now.  But they will be looking for bargains. Like maybe $10 million. Which does not get you much.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: November 07, 2023, 01:51:30 PM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/nationals-to-hire-miguel-cairo-as-bench-coach.html

A versatile utility man, Cairo played 17 seasons in the major leagues, fielding six different positions for nine different teams. Immediately following his retirement after the 2012 season, Cairo took a job as a special assistant in the Reds’ front office and briefly served as the team’s interim bench coach. He then moved on to the Yankees organization, working in the player development department and as a minor league infield coordinator.

Ahead of the 2021 campaign, Cairo earned his first genuine big league coaching job, joining the White Sox as Tony La Russa’s bench coach. He was promoted to acting manager for the final month of the regular season (Larussa was on medical leave), and although he interviewed for the managerial opening that winter, he was not asked to return to new skipper Pedro Grifol’s staff in 2023. Instead, he took a job as a minor league infield coordinator with the Mets, a role he had previously held during his tenure with the Yankees.

Played with Davey for 3 years in TB.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: November 07, 2023, 02:16:02 PM »
maybe some lower money desirable options would be Gio Urshela (3B but could play other positions), Joc Pedersen (bounceback candidate who was a pretty steady 2+ WAR player before last year), and Duvall (an old obsession of mine). I wouldn't go over $10 million AAV on any of those guys, but I don't think they beat that when they sign.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #78: November 07, 2023, 02:26:30 PM »
maybe some lower money desirable options would be Gio Urshela (3B but could play other positions), Joc Pedersen (bounceback candidate who was a pretty steady 2+ WAR player before last year), and Duvall (an old obsession of mine). I wouldn't go over $10 million AAV on any of those guys, but I don't think they beat that when they sign.
Those seem fine and are more realistic.  If you get Joc you have to sign Pham. Co commissioners of the fantasy football league.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #79: November 07, 2023, 03:32:40 PM »
Nats hiring Miguel Cairo as the new bench coach.

MLBTR:

The Nationals are set to hire Miguel Cairo as their new bench coach, as first reported by Mike Mayer of Metsmerized Online. Cairo spent the 2023 season as a minor league infield coordinator in the Mets organization.

A versatile utility man, Cairo played 17 seasons in the major leagues, fielding six different positions for nine different teams. Immediately following his retirement after the 2012 season, Cairo took a job as a special assistant in the Reds’ front office and briefly served as the team’s interim bench coach. He then moved on to the Yankees organization, working in the player development department and as a minor league infield coordinator.

Ahead of the 2021 campaign, Cairo earned his first genuine big league coaching job, joining the White Sox as Tony La Russa’s bench coach. He was promoted to acting manager for the final month of the regular season (Larussa was on medical leave), and although he interviewed for the managerial opening that winter, he was not asked to return to new skipper Pedro Grifol’s staff in 2023. Instead, he took a job as a minor league infield coordinator with the Mets, a role he had previously held during his tenure with the Yankees.

Nationals manager Dave Martinez played alongside Cairo for parts of three seasons with the Devil Rays between 1998 and 2000. According to Mark Zuckerman of MASN Sports, the skipper has “always spoken highly” of his former teammate.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #80: November 07, 2023, 06:03:26 PM »
I don’t understand Stras on the 40-man. He’s never gonna pitch again. What’s the point?

Offline imref

« Reply #81: November 07, 2023, 07:58:20 PM »
I don’t understand Stras on the 40-man. He’s never gonna pitch again. What’s the point?

they can only add him to the 40-man or release him, which would mean paying him the $105 million or so he's owed.

I assume there are still discussions going on on how to pay him and have him officially retire. It doesn't make sense for either side to let this go on any longer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: November 07, 2023, 08:47:47 PM »
They have to carry him on the roster as the contract is still valid.  He’s not going to retire to give up money. MLB has already said the Nats have to fulfill the contract.  It’s just one spot on the 40 man and only during the off-season.  It’s not like the Nats have some super deep farm system.

And does not matter much salary wise as the current ownership does not wants to spend. And has room to spend even with this contract.

Just three more years.  Hang in there kids.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: November 08, 2023, 08:57:48 AM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/nationals-to-hire-miguel-cairo-as-bench-coach.html

Played with Davey for 3 years in TB.
Nats hiring Miguel Cairo as the new bench coach.

MLBTR:

Has anyone heard anything about Miguel Cairo coming to the Nats as a bench coach?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: November 08, 2023, 09:02:30 AM »
next date to watch is 11/14. That is the date minor leaguers have to be added to the 40 man roster or else be exposed to the Rule 5 draft if they are otherwise eligible. The Nats figure to have a few adds, like Herz. It'd be very nice if the Nats cut a deal for Stras's payout so they could release him, but there probably are other guys who could be dropped without much harm.

Offline imref

« Reply #85: November 08, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
next date to watch is 11/14. That is the date minor leaguers have to be added to the 40 man roster or else be exposed to the Rule 5 draft if they are otherwise eligible. The Nats figure to have a few adds, like Herz. It'd be very nice if the Nats cut a deal for Stras's payout so they could release him, but there probably are other guys who could be dropped without much harm.

Easy DFA candidates: Abbott, Machado, Willingham.  Pineda is a possibility as well.

Dominic Smith is still on the roster as well (arbitration eligible).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: November 08, 2023, 09:18:58 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about Miguel Cairo coming to the Nats as a bench coach?
Nope. Could you fill us in.

Offline imref

« Reply #87: November 08, 2023, 09:20:43 AM »
Nope. Could you fill us in.

I heard Davey is spending the winter building benches in Cairo. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: November 08, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
I heard Davey is spending the winter building benches in Cairo. :)
Looking for his camel?

Offline imref

« Reply #89: November 08, 2023, 03:44:31 PM »
what do we think about Lourdes Gurriel as a potential LF?

Add him, and Bellinger at 1B, and we might do something next year?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: November 08, 2023, 03:54:40 PM »
what do we think about Lourdes Gurriel as a potential LF?

Add him, and Bellinger at 1B, and we might do something next year?
You need to think of guys in the $8-12 million range. Bellinger is way out of that.  Not sure about Gurriel?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: November 08, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »
Gurriel and Bellinger are out of the Nats price range if MLBTR's projections are credible. They have Belli at 12/ $264 million and Gurriel at 4/ $54. Even if you think Bellinger is closer to 7 / $154, I don't see doing that deal.

Offline imref

« Reply #92: November 08, 2023, 04:32:51 PM »
Gurriel and Bellinger are out of the Nats price range if MLBTR's projections are credible. They have Belli at 12/ $264 million and Gurriel at 4/ $54. Even if you think Bellinger is closer to 7 / $154, I don't see doing that deal.

Werth 2.0?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #93: November 08, 2023, 04:35:18 PM »
Werth 2.0?
Owners got their title already.  Be happy with that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94: November 08, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »
Werth 2.0?
there's a lot of risk going long with Bellinger. I'm much more inclined for an older bat on a shorter deal, like Joc. Gurriel is young enough (30) that a 4 year deal might worth discussing.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #95: November 09, 2023, 12:42:36 AM »
I don’t know enough about the allegations, but if the PR hit isn’t too much, a 32 year old Trevor Bauer would be an excellent chance at a discounted innings eating SP with an elite ceiling.  I know he slipped from Cy Young level to just “good” after the sticky stuff crackdown.  I know he was really good in the NPB last year.  I know the charges were dismissed, and I know even the prior to the allegations he had a rep as a jerk.

As strictly a baseball decision, giving Bauer a cheap 1-year deal is a no brainer.  The Nats would take the initial PR hit, so if at the deadline he’s been a good citizen and is pitching close to his previous form, he’s an excellent trade chip.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #96: November 09, 2023, 01:56:57 AM »
I don’t know enough about the allegations, but if the PR hit isn’t too much, a 32 year old Trevor Bauer would be an excellent chance at a discounted innings eating SP with an elite ceiling.  I know he slipped from Cy Young level to just “good” after the sticky stuff crackdown.  I know he was really good in the NPB last year.  I know the charges were dismissed, and I know even the prior to the allegations he had a rep as a jerk.

As strictly a baseball decision, giving Bauer a cheap 1-year deal is a no brainer.  The Nats would take the initial PR hit, so if at the deadline he’s been a good citizen and is pitching close to his previous form, he’s an excellent trade chip.

What was conveyed after the Starlin Castro matter would seem to indicate that they may not be likely to view the above as strictly a baseball decision. There have to be better ways of getting back into contention than that

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #97: November 09, 2023, 07:33:24 AM »
From a strictly baseball standpoint, I would love to get Trevor Bauer here. Him showing the younger pitchers how to prepare, train, and, most importantly, use data to improve would be basically priceless. Especially for a team with a pitching coach that "isn't concerned with mechanics or analytics." And his reputation with teammates is that he is more than willing to share this knowledge. And, specifically, Mookie Betts said Trevor Bauer is "an awesome guy."

"My experience with Bauer is not anything remotely close to what everyone else’s experience is. I love him. I think he’s an awesome guy," Betts told the Los Angeles Times, via The Associated Press. "The personal things? I have no control. I have no say. Obviously, nothing ever came from it."

That being said, its definitely not a "strictly baseball" decision.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: November 09, 2023, 08:58:03 AM »
Bauer has played his last MLB game.

Offline imref

« Reply #99: November 09, 2023, 10:20:00 AM »
Bauer has played his last MLB game.

I don't think so. He was pretty dominant in Japan last year and added 1MPH to his FB. Someone will give him a shot (Philly?)

And think about the cross-promotion opportunities....