Author Topic: Rays staying in St. Pete - New stadium deal!  (Read 555 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Rays close to a new St Pete stadium
« Reply #1: September 10, 2023, 10:50:41 AM »
So much for needing a new location.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: September 10, 2023, 11:19:23 AM »
I think the priority was always a stadium to stay there.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #3: September 10, 2023, 12:05:03 PM »

I thought the priority was getting into a place where the eastern part of that area as well as Central Florida could supplement things without having to deal with the logistical issues of depending on traffic flow of those narrow bridges on that side of things, especially in inclement weather.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: September 10, 2023, 12:11:49 PM »

That was the city’s priority, but the team had been pushing for a better location

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: September 10, 2023, 12:26:40 PM »
That was the city’s priority, but the team had been pushing for a better location
Yes the Ybor City area of Tampa would be much better.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: September 10, 2023, 12:30:04 PM »
I thought the priority was getting into a place where the eastern part of that area as well as Central Florida could supplement things without having to deal with the logistical issues of depending on traffic flow of those narrow bridges on that side of things, especially in inclement weather.
Yea I meant as opposed to moving to Nashville or Montreal.

Tampa would be better for fans in central florida but it’s still like a 2 hour drive each way with the way traffic is.  So don’t know how many fans they would draw in a different location. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #7: September 10, 2023, 12:41:03 PM »
Yea I meant as opposed to moving to Nashville or Montreal.

Tampa would be better for fans in central florida but it’s still like a 2 hour drive each way with the way traffic is.  So don’t know how many fans they would draw in a different location. 

It will be interesting to see how the new train system may be integrated into all of this over time:

https://www.gobrightline.com/train-stations/fl

Offline imref

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #9: September 18, 2023, 11:22:48 AM »
I don't think I could ever get excited to watch indoor baseball.   

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #10: September 18, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
Deal is done, Official announcement tomorrow:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2023/09/18/stadium-gas-plant-district-2028-tropicana-field-stuart-sternberg/

No retractable roof versus a fixed dome, seating around 30 K, and still on the St. Petersburg sides of things. One question when they do redevelopments like this downtown is how they’re going to handle the parking, as well as getting people in and out of there. One wonders if it’s going to be even more challenging on that front than the existing situation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: September 18, 2023, 11:34:42 AM »
It’s the Rays- parking won’t be an issue.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: September 18, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
I don't think I could ever get excited to watch indoor baseball.

It’s actually worse than you could ever imagine.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: September 18, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
It’s the Rays- parking won’t be an issue.

Unless the Jones in-laws come over and take up the guest spot.

Offline imref

Re: Rays staying in St. Pete - New stadium deal!
« Reply #14: September 18, 2023, 01:02:57 PM »
light rail from St. Pete and Tampa would make sense. :couch:

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #15: September 18, 2023, 01:33:31 PM »
light rail from St. Pete and Tampa would make sense.

https://www.gobrightline.com/

I’m actually intrigued about staying in central Florida but taking the train down to West Palm Beach. By the time I would do that, hopefully some reviews will be in.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: September 18, 2023, 01:44:36 PM »

I’m actually intrigued about staying in central Florida but taking the train down to West Palm Beach. By the time I would do that, hopefully some reviews will be in.
I tried to search to see what a ticket might cost next March but no prices yet for those dates. Looks like $79 each way for now. I am sure they will Jack up the prices during spring break time. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: September 18, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
I've been watching the development of Brightline for a while. We like to stay in Cocoa Beach. Eventually there is supposed to be a station in Cocoa.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: September 21, 2023, 04:29:10 PM »
Just the end of a nice critique of modern tax payer financed mega developments anchored by stadiums.

Michael Baumann:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-jewel-box-under-end-stage-capitalism/

As much as I’ve harped on Camden Yards being the foundation for the modern ballpark, that isn’t really true anymore. Now, it’s Truist Field. The Braves abandoned a functional (if uninspiring) Turner Field to move their team to a greenfield site in the suburbs and surround it with buildings of their own choosing and from which they could profit. That’s why the Rays, after decades of trying to move to Tampa proper, are staying in St. Petersburg. Their development site is 86 acres, almost 11 times the size of the lot the Twins built Target Field on, and will include 14,000 parking spaces, more than 5,000 residential units, a hotel, a conference center, 1.4 million square feet of office space, and 750,000 square feet of retail space.

It’s almost dishonest to call the stadium an anchor tenant or a tentpole. This is a misdirection act, an okey-doke. Because if a private real estate developer asked the public to foot the bill for condos and office buildings, they’d get laughed out of the room. But if it goes next to a baseball stadium? Here’s $730 million to develop a site the city already owns. If MLB owners thought like this in the 1970s, the Cubs and Red Sox would be playing in taxpayer-funded ballparks out in a mixed-use development in the suburbs somewhere, instead of venues that achieved legendary status because of their place within the community.

When a stadium is molded by its neighborhood, it can become aesthetically beautiful and culturally vital. The modern ideal is to pervert that process, do it backwards, and get taxpayers to foot the bill. Rather than the team and its home serving the needs of its community, now the community must serve the needs of the team.

Baumann is always worth a read.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #19: September 21, 2023, 04:41:14 PM »
Just the end of a nice critique of modern tax payer financed mega developments anchored by stadiums.

Michael Baumann:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-jewel-box-under-end-stage-capitalism/

“When a stadium is molded by its neighborhood, it can become aesthetically beautiful and culturally vital. The modern ideal is to pervert that process, do it backwards, and get taxpayers to foot the bill. Rather than the team and its home serving the needs of its community, now the community must serve the needs of the team.“

Baumann is always worth a read.

Perchance along those lines:

https://wtop.com/local/2023/09/bill-to-give-dc-control-of-rfk-stadium-site-gets-green-light-from-key-house-committee/