Author Topic: 2024 roster speculation  (Read 6305 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2024 roster speculation
« Reply #75: September 24, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
Aint no one on that list that will sign a short term deal here and be better than Joey Meneses and Keibert Ruiz.

Online Slateman

« Reply #76: September 25, 2023, 11:01:32 AM »
Rutledge gets one more start. He modified his delivery at some point this offseason or season to have better control. If he can show another decent outing and go into the offseason healthy, he could be in consideration for a rotation spot.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: September 27, 2023, 07:04:33 PM »
Nats announce they have reached agreement with Vargas for 2024. He of course will be starting every day.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #78: September 27, 2023, 07:13:24 PM »
Nats announce they have reached agreement with Vargas for 2024. He of course will be starting every day.
Yea they mentioned that on the broadcast. I am worried about a couple of our posters hearing that news.

Online Slateman

« Reply #79: September 27, 2023, 07:28:15 PM »
Pretty indicative of the offseason spending

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #80: September 27, 2023, 07:35:08 PM »
after the trade deadline, of course.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: September 27, 2023, 07:36:21 PM »
Pretty indicative of the offseason spending
eh, he's a back up infielder. I suppose it means one of Alu, Kieboom, and Chavis probably is in the minors or not back.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #82: September 27, 2023, 08:40:25 PM »
eh, he's a back up infielder. I suppose it means one of Alu, Kieboom, and Chavis probably is in the minors or not back.

I think KieBUST is history. Alu back I Rochester. Just hasn’t hit enough to warrant a back up slot. Candy is a FA and is coming off an injury that greatly reduced his performance in September and the end of August. Might be able to steal him for a one year bounce back as a placeholder for one of the prospects.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: September 27, 2023, 09:09:24 PM »
They are not going into next year with Vargas starting. They likely will try to find a cheap vet, probably not Candelario, for a year and then dump him when House takes over.

Only way they sign Candelario is with the idea that he's playing 1st once House is ready, and even then, it's a holding pattern for Lipscomb or Morales.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: September 27, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »
They are not going into next year with Vargas starting. They likely will try to find a cheap vet, probably not Candelario, for a year and then dump him when House takes over.

Only way they sign Candelario is with the idea that he's playing 1st once House is ready, and even then, it's a holding pattern for Lipscomb or Morales.
Candy has been playing 1B. Hmmmm. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #85: September 28, 2023, 08:00:11 AM »
I'm going to speculate on the rotation for 2024 with the hope of signing a FA who could be a #2 or 3 and act as veteran presence for our youngsters. Though Corbin takes the bump every 5th day I cannot see him as a mentor to anyone. Gore, Gray, FA, Irvin ,Rutledge and Cavalli in June. When Cavalli joins the rotation Davey has mentioned they they would look at a 6 man rotation which would certainly help as the youngsters looked gassed at the end of this season.

Williams most certainly is a lock for the BP and where Corbin belongs. You would have Rainey, Harvey, Finnegan, Weems and Garcia(or Adon) also.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: September 28, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »
Williams will be starting. That’s what they paid for.  They are not signing a major piece for the rotation this off-season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: September 28, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
Williams will be starting. That’s what they paid for.  They are not signing a major piece for the rotation this off-season.
not sure about the no sign a major pitcher because there's an unusual number available. I think it is more of a decision than decided (discussed in replies ##62-68 in this thread).

As for Williams, they went to the point of stretching out his innings load this year to give him a chance to earn starter consideration. I don't see Adon as anything special, so I could possibly see a 6 man rotation from the get go next year, with Gore / Gray / Irvin / Corbin / Williams and one slot either going to an internal (Rutledge or Adon) or that FA signing. You can hope Williams at least duplicates his 1st half and can be moved for anything once Cavalli is healthy sometime mid-year.

As for Corbin, you give him a bronze watch that failing battery as a gift for his contributions when you move him to the pen (or trade him with a massive subsidy) once you decide to insert Rutledge, Adon, or Herz in the rotation. that'll happen at some point in the second half.

More or less, I think the 2024 roster strategy is to continue to test internal pieces to see what genuine holes there are for 2025 forward, but perhaps line up a few veterans who can help for several years going forward. I'm thinking WC contention won't be ruled out, so there will be less "got to play Alu / Kieboom / Garcia / Robles / whoever regardless of performance," at least early. Ideally, it's tread water, better prospects kick the door in and force their way into the line up, and that boosts you to a surprise wild card berth. Sort of what Rutschman and Henderson did or almost did for the Os last year.

Online Slateman

« Reply #88: September 28, 2023, 10:21:53 AM »
I dont see any major signings this offseason. Maybe a Gio Urshella for third base and a Luke Weaver or Alex Wood type.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #89: September 28, 2023, 10:34:28 AM »
I dont see any major signings this offseason. Maybe a Gio Urshella for third base and a Luke Weaver or Alex Wood type.

I think we'll go for one big-ish player like we did for Werth. We're definitely going to be a mystery team that Boras tells Heyman is on all his clients.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #90: September 28, 2023, 11:01:50 AM »
I don't care as long as I don't need some idiot who uses Fangraphs as his only source of information calling me an jerk for pointing out that Alex Call isn't actually any good.

Also, as long as I don't need to watch Alex Call. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #91: September 28, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
I don't care as long as I don't need some idiot who uses Fangraphs as his only source of information calling me an jerk for pointing out that Alex Call isn't actually any good.

Also, as long as I don't need to watch Alex Call. 

A 4.33 ERA would be this team's number 2

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #92: September 28, 2023, 11:11:06 AM »
A 4.33 ERA would be this team's number 2

If Alex Call could put up a 4.33 ERA instead of a sub-.200 batting average with no power and a bunch of outs on the bases, he might be useful.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #93: September 28, 2023, 11:11:15 AM »
Here's the starting point for 2024:

Starting pitchers: Strasburg, Corbin, Williams, Gore, Irvin, Gray, Adon, Cavalli, Rutledge

Relivers: Finnegan, Rainey, Arano, Harvey, Ward, LaSorsa, Ferrer, Weems, Machado, Robert Garcia, Abbott, Willingham, Muñoz, Thompson, Harris, Cronin

C: Ruiz, Adams, Millas

IF: Chavis (Arb eligible), Vargas, Kieboom, Luis Garcia, Abrams, Meneses, Alu

OF: Robles (Team option), Thomas, Call, Garrett, Rutherford, Young, Blankenhorn

2024 FAs: Smith, Edwards Jr

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #94: September 28, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
Here's the starting point for 2024:

Starting pitchers: Strasburg, Corbin, Williams, Gore, Irvin, Gray, Adon, Cavalli, Rutledge

Relivers: Finnegan, Rainey, Arano, Harvey, Ward, LaSorsa, Ferrer, Weems, Machado, Robert Garcia, Abbott, Willingham

C: Ruiz, Adams, Millas

IF: Chavis (Arb eligible), Vargas, Kieboom, Luis Garcia, Abrams, Meneses, Alu

OF: Robles (Team option), Thomas, Call, Garrett, Rutherford, Young, Blankenhorn

2023 FAs: Smith, Edwards Jr

Yuck. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #95: September 28, 2023, 11:13:33 AM »
If Alex Call could put up a 4.33 ERA instead of a sub-.200 batting average with no power and a bunch of outs on the bases, he might be useful.
Yea, sorry, I thought the first Alex was Wood

Anyway, I fully expect to see Call on the OD roster.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #96: September 28, 2023, 11:23:04 AM »
I went over the 40 man roster and I think these guys will be dropped. Abbott, Arano, Edwards, Ferrer, Harris, Machado, Munoz, Stras, Willingham, Rutherford, Downs, Kiebust, A few will be signed to minor league contracts with a ST invite. Stras is a procedural move. Edwards is a FA.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #97: September 28, 2023, 11:25:33 AM »
Yea, sorry, I thought the first Alex was Wood

Anyway, I fully expect to see Call on the OD roster.

I do too.  I expect to see a lot of guys who suck on the OD roster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: September 28, 2023, 01:30:34 PM »
Add Pineda on the baseline.

Arano is arb eligible too. He's basically the same status as Chavis but hurt.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #99: September 28, 2023, 01:39:45 PM »
Add Pineda on the baseline.

Arano is arb eligible too. He's basically the same status as Chavis but hurt.
I wondered about Pineda and had him on the fence. If Riley Adams power has been sapped by the hamate injury and I can't remember if it was his glove hand with the constant pounding his hand will receive by catching over 200 pitches a game I thought it best to keep him.