Author Topic: Approach to the trade deadline  (Read 13733 times)

Offline rileyn

Re: Approach to the trade deadline
« Reply #25: May 27, 2023, 06:40:34 AM »
The problem with trading Corbin and Williams, is that we are going to need somebody to pitch after we shut down Gray and Gore. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: May 27, 2023, 10:45:10 AM »
The problem with trading Corbin and Williams, is that we are going to need somebody to pitch after we shut down Gray and Gore. 
the simple short term answer is that kuhl and espino  are the current depth starters.

beyond the next couple weeks, the longer anser is the ability of Irvin to pitch adequately as an mlb starter, the health of Henry, and the growth of Rutledge and Bennett are some of the potential moves forward. I'm not giving up on Adon, either. beyond that, you are looking for fill in types, which include Kuhl, Espino, Abbott, and Tetreault.  there's also always other teams cuts who still have an arm attached.  i don't think "who is going to backfill for Williams?" factors in at all in the decisionmaking.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #27: May 27, 2023, 11:09:51 AM »
the simple short term answer is that kuhl and espino  are the current depth starters.

beyond the next couple weeks, the longer anser is the ability of Irvin to pitch adequately as an mlb starter, the health of Henry, and the growth of Rutledge and Bennett are some of the potential moves forward. I'm not giving up on Adon, either. beyond that, you are looking for fill in types, which include Kuhl, Espino, Abbott, and Tetreault.  there's also always other teams cuts who still have an arm attached.  i don't think "who is going to backfill for Williams?" factors in at all in the decisionmaking.

I don't know.  If we can't pick any higher than 10th, we might as well try to win games.  I think there is a bit of a carry over effect for the team and the dormant fan base, as we try to project some sort of positive momentum. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: May 27, 2023, 11:40:32 AM »
I don't know.  If we can't pick any higher than 10th, we might as well try to win games.  I think there is a bit of a carry over effect for the team and the dormant fan base, as we try to project some sort of positive momentum. 
corbin isn't being moved due to his contract, so we are  really talking about Williams being possibly dealt and gore or maybe irvin needing to be limited on innings. no way on earth that you don't try a rutledge or a henry in the rotation if they are ready, and if you can find the next thomas / adams / millas for williams  at the same time, no way you don't do it even if it means you finish with  65 wins instead of 70.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: May 27, 2023, 11:59:05 AM »
I'm going to consolidate a few other discussions in random threads here regarding what players we should look to move for longer term depth, whether we should hang on to guys  who are helping to build a more positive vibe as future pieces gain experience, and what are sensible expectations for deals (ok, we can go a little ZDK on this).

in terms of the current team, the record would say fringe wc still even if the head says that will not be the case at the trade deadline or the end of the season. development-wise, it's probably a stretch to think the minors are adding anything significant in terms of position prospects much before 2025 other than Hassell. there's few significant pitchers who could be on the mlb staff as soon as this year, but tinstaapp.

so, have at it while i pluck from other threads.  the opening post will change because those are older than this post, unless i do a moderating trick i learned.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #30: May 27, 2023, 01:38:30 PM »
Don't trade anybody if the return is a couple of A/A+ near-hopeless prospects. No need for another Donovan Casey or Jordy Barley or Richard Guasch. Even Mason Thompson seems off. Of course, if a team wants to trade the next Daniel Hudson for another Kyle Johnston, go for it.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #31: May 27, 2023, 02:51:34 PM »

This doesn't seem like a problem

Offline welch

« Reply #32: May 27, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »
None of the current team are the equal of the stars traded in 2021 and 2022. Not really the equal of Hudson, Gomes, and Harrison. Don't trade for no-hope minor-leaguers, like Jordy Barley or the equivalent of Hobie Harris. It is time to improve the team, in the same way Rizzo improved the 2010 and 2011 teams. Rutledge and Harris are not ready for prime-time, but they'll be ready to show something in Spring Training. They will be close. Bennett is moving up. Unless Pittsburgh does something strange, the Nats will draft Skenes. He should be close, as well. 

This off-season is time to sign a free-agent who can hit. The next Jayson Werth. Hassell is hitting, and Wood looks like a star. Darren Baker can back up at 2B, and maybe Alu or future-House can play 3B.

Yes...I've said it. The Nats have torn down the building as far as they can go. Time now to begin improving.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: May 27, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
Don't trade anybody if the return is a couple of A/A+ near-hopeless prospects. No need for another Donovan Casey or Jordy Barley or Richard Guasch. Even Mason Thompson seems off. Of course, if a team wants to trade the next Daniel Hudson for another Kyle Johnston, go for it.
That’s the rub though. You don’t know which ones will work out and which will not. Most won’t so you want more chances.

Offline welch

« Reply #34: May 27, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »
That’s the rub though. You don’t know which ones will work out and which will not. Most won’t so you want more chances.

Or maybe none of them unless they are better than whoever the Nats will give up. I know that it is always a gamble, but the lower-minors guys are not worth gambling for genuine major leaguers like Meneses, Smith, Thomas, Williams. If Candelario  will extend for the same $5 million, then why not keep him?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: May 27, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »
may as well say it again, but lester for thomas, hand for adams, hudson for thompson, harrison and gomes for 3 guys, one of whom is drew millas. these pay off. not all of them, but you do it s many times as rizzo, you tend to do ok. 

Williams in particular has a low cost contract, another year of control, an can swing to the pen in the playoffs. that a pretty good trade piece, and he'd be dealt right about the time rutledge should be ready to throw 30-45 more innings down the stretch. candelario of course should be dealt if you can get anything.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: May 27, 2023, 04:52:16 PM »
Or maybe none of them unless they are better than whoever the Nats will give up. I know that it is always a gamble, but the lower-minors guys are not worth gambling for genuine major leaguers like Meneses, Smith, Thomas, Williams. If Candelario  will extend for the same $5 million, then why not keep him?
Because the team is near the bottom in runs scored and cannot really compete that way?  Eventually you need some mashers at 1B, 3B and the corner OF spots to compete.

As I said before you make a trade for someone you have your eye on who you think the Nats organization can develop. But Rizzo will not trade all these guys. Will pick his spots.

Offline welch

« Reply #37: May 27, 2023, 09:25:45 PM »
Because the team is near the bottom in runs scored and cannot really compete that way?  Eventually you need some mashers at 1B, 3B and the corner OF spots to compete.

As I said before you make a trade for someone you have your eye on who you think the Nats organization can develop. But Rizzo will not trade all these guys. Will pick his spots.

The Nats will get the mashers from signing a free agent or from someone like Wood. Maybe Green, as he settles into pro-ball.

Of the 1998 Yankees, the best team I have ever followed:

- Tino Martinez (and Jeff Nelson) arrived in a trade for Sterling Hitchcock, off-season, 1995
- Scott Brosius arrived as return for Kenny Rogers, off-season, 1997. Later re-signed as a free agent
- Paul O'Neill arrived in a trade for Roberto Kelly off-season, 1992

All the Yankees traded away were respectable major leaguers. Kelly had been the regular CF,  but the Yanks had Bernie Williams ready. Rogers was a good starting pitcher who could not handle the pressure in NYC. Hitchcock was a young 4th or 5th starting pitcher.

- Chuck Knoblach arrived in a trade for four or five minor leaguers, just before Spring Training, 1998. Something like the trades Rizzo made a few years ago in search of a CF or relief pitching.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: May 28, 2023, 07:28:36 AM »
The Nats will get the mashers from signing a free agent or from someone like Wood. Maybe Green, as he settles into pro-ball.

Wood is, at best, 2 years away.

Online Slateman

« Reply #39: May 28, 2023, 07:45:42 AM »
Approach at the deadline? SELL BABY, SELL

Trevor Williams to the Rays for Kameron Misner and Nick Bisko,  Evan Reifert (if he is pitching by the deadline), or Colby White.

Candelario and Carl Edwards to the Twins for Bryan Acuna

Finnegan to the Rangers for Cole Winn or Gleider Figuereo

Dickerson to the Yankees for Justin Lange

Lane Thomas and Joey Meneses to the Guardians for Josh Bell and Daniel Espino

DFA Dominic Smith

Call up Baker, Alu, Kieboom, and Misner. Play them as much as possible. Alu and Misner to the corners against RHP. Put Baker at first or DH Garcia. Play Kieboom at third.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #40: May 28, 2023, 08:45:51 AM »
DFA a guy hitting around .280? :crazy:

Offline welch

« Reply #41: May 28, 2023, 09:02:36 AM »

That's the idea. Nats get a free agent hitter this off-season, aim for .500 in 2024. More young pitchers arrive, maybe Rutledge. You say that Cavalli will be back by Mother's Day. Wood and Hassell in 2025.

Offline imref

« Reply #42: May 28, 2023, 09:04:12 AM »
Wood is probably getting promoted to Harrisburg in the next month or so. He has a decent chance of arriving in DC next year. Hassell should be a 2024 arrival as well.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: May 28, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
That's the idea. Nats get a free agent hitter this off-season, aim for .500 in 2024. More young pitchers arrive, maybe Rutledge. You say that Cavalli will be back by Mother's Day. Wood and Hassell in 2025.

The team is terrible and for sale. They are adding the caliber or number of free agents they’d need to actually compete

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #44: May 28, 2023, 09:28:55 AM »
I was fine last couple seasons trading everything not bolted down.

This season, I’m generally for keeping around pieces that can help next season, barring a big return.

With IP counts on a couple starters and my lack of faith in Corbin for the full season, I’m not sure I see the Nats going for it. And from an assets side, we are doing better, but another asset collection and draft cycle would really put this team in good position for this time next year if the team is playing well.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #45: May 28, 2023, 09:47:48 AM »
I have to imagine at least Williams is gone. He's too cheap and flexible to not be an attractive trade target. Not as good as our stars we traded away but better than Gomes, Hudson, Hand, etc. so you can expect a solid prospect in return.

No one else is likely worth trading at this time, maybe Dickerson.

Offline imref

« Reply #46: May 28, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »

Wood is probably getting promoted to Harrisburg in the next month or so. He has a decent chance of arriving in DC next year. Hassell should be a 2024 arrival as well.

Well what do you know? Woods just got promoted to AA.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #47: May 28, 2023, 11:39:14 AM »
Approach at the deadline? SELL BABY, SELL

Trevor Williams to the Rays for Kameron Misner and Nick Bisko,  Evan Reifert (if he is pitching by the deadline), or Colby White.

Candelario and Carl Edwards to the Twins for Bryan Acuna

Finnegan to the Rangers for Cole Winn or Gleider Figuereo

Dickerson to the Yankees for Justin Lange

Lane Thomas and Joey Meneses to the Guardians for Josh Bell and Daniel Espino

DFA Dominic Smith

Call up Baker, Alu, Kieboom, and Misner. Play them as much as possible. Alu and Misner to the corners against RHP. Put Baker at first or DH Garcia. Play Kieboom at third.

I agree with your general sentiment of dealing away anything of value with the exception of Lane Thomas. I think he’s young enough and talented enough to still be a factor when the team is ready to compete.

Online Slateman

« Reply #48: May 28, 2023, 11:58:54 AM »
I agree with your general sentiment of dealing away anything of value with the exception of Lane Thomas. I think he’s young enough and talented enough to still be a factor when the team is ready to compete.
Advanced metrics indicate Thomas is getting lucky. Trade while value is highest.

And, honestly, we could platoon Misner and Garrett or Call and get the same production

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
« Reply #49: May 28, 2023, 02:54:31 PM »
Re: pitching, Cole Henry is rehabbing his way through the minors and will get a rotation spot after the deadline if he holds up.