Author Topic: Cooperstown and the Curly W  (Read 249 times)

Offline lylelgreen

Cooperstown and the Curly W
« Topic Start: May 24, 2023, 11:52:50 PM »
The Curse of the 2019 Washington Nationals thread had me asking these questions:

Who will be the first player inducted into the Hall of Fame wearing the Curly W for this franchise (2005)?

Will there ever be a player inducted into the Hall of Fame wearing the Curly W?

Has that player even been born yet?

Given the fact that few players remain with the same team for their entire career in the free agency era, does it even matter which if any team’s uniform they wear?

If instead of trading Scherzer we had signed him through the remainder of his career, would he have worn the Curly W in Cooperstown?

Is there any tangible value for a franchise to have a player in Cooperstown, and if so at what cost to the franchise?

What does it mean to the fan base to have a player in Cooperstown?

Since 2005, we have hosted an All Star game, won division titles, and in 2019 ran the table from Wild Card to World Series champs, how sweet would it be to travel to Cooperstown some July to watch a player wearing the Curly W join that select company?

Online Five Banners

Re: Cooperstown and the Curly W
« Reply #1: May 25, 2023, 12:21:11 AM »
The Curse of the 2019 Washington Nationals thread had me asking these questions:

Who will be the first player inducted into the Hall of Fame wearing the Curly W for this franchise (2005)?

Will there ever be a player inducted into the Hall of Fame wearing the Curly W?

Has that player even been born yet?

Given the fact that few players remain with the same team for their entire career in the free agency era, does it even matter which if any team’s uniform they wear?

If instead of trading Scherzer we had signed him through the remainder of his career, would he have worn the Curly W in Cooperstown?

Is there any tangible value for a franchise to have a player in Cooperstown, and if so at what cost to the franchise?

What does it mean to the fan base to have a player in Cooperstown?

Since 2005, we have hosted an All Star game, won division titles, and in 2019 ran the table from Wild Card to World Series champs, how sweet would it be to travel to Cooperstown some July to watch a player wearing the Curly W join that select company?

Going with Max. Looking at all the personal and team accomplishments that came during his tenure, it would seem to take a lot for that not to be the logical choice.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #2: May 25, 2023, 12:40:26 AM »
I am confident Max will go in as a Nat. Other than him nobody else probably in my lifetime unless Soto signs with the Nats when he's a free agent.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: May 25, 2023, 07:54:44 AM »
Scherzer had his greatest success here and left with no hard feelings so I'd assume he'd go in at a National.

Our #2 draft pick is surely HOF bound and willing to sign a team friendly contract.

Offline catocony

« Reply #4: May 27, 2023, 02:55:14 AM »
The Hall has been pretty clear, its generally the number of years with a single franchise that decides the cap.  He has 6.67 years with the Nats, which is the longest he's been with any club (1.5 with Arizona, 5.0 with Detroit, 1.33 with LA and so far 1.33 with the Mets.  Unless he pitches into his mid-40s, he should have more time with the Nats than anyone, and also his greatest achievements.

It's still the best free agent signing the Nats have ever done.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #5: May 27, 2023, 06:58:41 AM »
Max Scherzer should be a first ballot Hall of Famer with a Nationals cap. He's the most incredible player I have ever had the pleasure of watching closely and the one I will be telling stories about as long as I live.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: May 27, 2023, 10:51:08 AM »
for max, the only question would be detroit or nats, but his accomplishments here (more cys, a ws win, 20 ks, multiple no-nos) makes it obvious. even if he wins a couple ws with the mets and retires there, it's a nats cap or a blank