Author Topic: Roster moves: 2023  (Read 9952 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Roster moves: 2023
« Reply #50: June 05, 2023, 09:47:14 AM »
Finally.

What about picking up Zach Plesac and running a 6 starter rotation? Or moving Irvin to the pen?
Plesac would be a low risk move, but at some point, I think Ferrer deserves a shot. Doo I'm confident can help if the goal is to keep this team near a 70 win pace.

I suspect Plesac clears waivers and is outrighted. Even for the Nats, I'm not sure having him regularly get shelled every 5th day makes sense while we hope to turn him around.  If he could be sent down first, then it would make sense for us, but also for Cleveland.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: June 05, 2023, 10:29:14 AM »
Plesac would be a low risk move, but at some point, I think Ferrer deserves a shot. Doo I'm confident can help if the goal is to keep this team near a 70 win pace.

I suspect Plesac clears waivers and is outrighted. Even for the Nats, I'm not sure having him regularly get shelled every 5th day makes sense while we hope to turn him around.  If he could be sent down first, then it would make sense for us, but also for Cleveland.
I do too, but Im expecting there to be plenty of roster slots available this season. Doolittle is made of glass. Im also hoping we trade Edwards and Finnegan at the deadline.

Plus, Ferrer seems to need some more work. A lot of walks and strikeouts are way down.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: June 05, 2023, 10:56:01 AM »
I do too, but Im expecting there to be plenty of roster slots available this season. Doolittle is made of glass. Im also hoping we trade Edwards and Finnegan at the deadline.

Plus, Ferrer seems to need some more work. A lot of walks and strikeouts are way down.
if Doo is healthy for a few weeks before the glass breaks, fine.  My only thing is he's pitched back to back days once, Thursday and Friday.  Maybe it is too soon. 

Oh, the other name I thought of was Cronin, but he's been a disaster in terms of walks, too.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #53: June 05, 2023, 01:18:32 PM »
Finally.

What about picking up Zach Plesac and running a 6 starter rotation? Or moving Irvin to the pen?

The problem with Plesac is that he's an idiot of the Hunter Strickland variety.  There's not a lot of fixing to do with those guys, just hope the same crap starts working again.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #54: June 05, 2023, 04:09:03 PM »
Machado DFA'd per Dougherty.  Unclear who will be called up to replace him.  Dougherty speculates they want a lefty after all the situations this weekend where righties were brought in or left in to face Schwarber and Harper.  Candidates would include Ferrer, who is on the 40 man roster, or Baldonado or Doolittle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/05/nats-could-really-use-lefty-reliever-one-could-be-coming-soon/

Dougherty leaned on Machado's lefty/righty matchup, ignoring that Machado has been just plain bad. Machado seems to have a 97mph fastball but no ability to throw it to a spot the batter cannot hit.

Did not mention Erasmo...last I saw of Erasmo's face, he had an expression that said "puzzlement! Did I do all that?" Is Erasmo a better middle-inning reliever that Espino, assuming the team will not drag Espino out to start games?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #55: June 05, 2023, 04:22:19 PM »
Machado is like H-Rod 2.0 minus the 104 mph heat and with even less control
Dougherty leaned on Machado's lefty/righty matchup, ignoring that Machado has been just plain bad. Machado seems to have a 97mph fastball but no ability to throw it to a spot the batter cannot hit.

Did not mention Erasmo...last I saw of Erasmo's face, he had an expression that said "puzzlement! Did I do all that?" Is Erasmo a better middle-inning reliever that Espino, assuming the team will not drag Espino out to start games?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #56: June 05, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »

Who starts games when one/two of Corbin/Gray/Gore/Williams/Irvin get hurt

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57: June 05, 2023, 05:08:26 PM »
by the way, no machado transaction is listed as of yet on the nats website. probably will wait until just before gametime tomorrow before making an announcement

Offline welch

« Reply #58: June 05, 2023, 06:01:23 PM »
Who starts games when one/two of Corbin/Gray/Gore/Williams/Irvin get hurt

They have no one. Abbott and Adon have been as bad as Cronin, who is cruising with a 5-something ERA, and a 1.88 WHIP. That's probably why they stick with Irvin. It's also why Espino would be useful after someone like Irvin pitches four innings or Williams makes it through five.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59: June 06, 2023, 04:46:36 PM »
Machado officially DFA'd. Weems recalled as his replacement.

Probably too soon for Doolittle, and Ferrer and Baldonado are not impressing. 

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/transactions

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #60: June 07, 2023, 09:07:20 AM »
Zucks article today touched on Robles return after the rehab assignment is completed. He speculates that  either Garrett or Call goes down citing Garretts better offense versus Calls considerably better defense and the ability to play CF. I would think it is better to keep them both and move Chavis down even though he can play multiple positions in the infield and possibly fill in as an OF. He is rarely used and if the Nats sustain an injury to an infielder its not like Rochester is as far away as Fresno.

I'm also not sure that Dom Smith will be with the team after the trade deadline and perhaps not that long as I would rather see Matt Adams on the team as he has some "pop" and he certainly would not have a BA of less than .200 with RISP.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: June 07, 2023, 09:25:20 AM »
With Thomas getting some play in CF, I'm not sure Call is needed for that. His defense is an upgrade on every outfielder not named Robles, and he can provide a bit of pinch running, which is one of Chavis's uses. Neither is showing much pop vs. in the past. Vargas is an adequate backup at 2d/SS/3d. Only thing in Chavis's favor is, in a pinch, when a 2d backup is needed, the infield is more exposed than the outfield (that is, I'm more comfortable with Chavis or Meneses in the outfield than I am with Call or Meneses trying to play 2d/SS/3d).

I think the Dickerson/ Garrett platoon in left is working, and frankly think that there should be times when Smith sits, Meneses or Adams is at 1st, and Garrett DHs. Dickerson is just a better hitter than

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #62: June 07, 2023, 01:56:43 PM »
Carter Kieboom, who is a total negative anywhere on the field, is hitting for a .756 OPS in AAA. He stinks.

Well, 2-5, 2B last night.

Offline imref

« Reply #63: June 07, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »
Erasmo DFA'd, Abbott recalled.

TalkNats says there was a disagreement between Martinez and Rizzo over the move and that Davey thought there's a mechanical issue that the team can fix. If he clears waivers and accepts a return to Rochester than he'll get the opportunity to fix it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64: June 07, 2023, 02:21:12 PM »
Erasmo DFA'd, Abbott recalled.

TalkNats says there was a disagreement between Martinez and Rizzo over the move and that Davey thought there's a mechanical issue that the team can fix. If he clears waivers and accepts a return to Rochester than he'll get the opportunity to fix it.
jaw drops

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #65: June 07, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
Looks like Kuhl could be next. Nats have DFA’d 4 RP this season Banda Harris Machado and Ramirez

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: June 07, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »
took the trade for the future or hold on to some vets discussion to the approach to the trade deadline thread.  This thread is more about roster moves made  or about to be made and not so much building /rebuilding.

Offline imref

« Reply #67: June 07, 2023, 09:11:30 PM »
Machado accepted going to Rochester

Offline welch

« Reply #68: June 08, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
Looks like Kuhl could be next. Nats have DFA’d 4 RP this season Banda Harris Machado and Ramirez

Looks like Banda started and got bombed yesterday. Maybe this is the organization giving him a last chance before sending him off to pitch in an independent league. Currently 7.80 ERA; never shown much in the minors except for a single good year back around 2016. Not much in the majors, either.

Offline imref

« Reply #69: June 08, 2023, 03:08:53 PM »
Nationals sign FA LH pitcher Joe La Sorsa and option him to Rochester.  Rays DFA'd him on Saturday.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=lasors000joe

Offline welch

« Reply #70: June 08, 2023, 04:53:59 PM »
La Sorsa looks OK. Why did the Rays drop him? Out of options? This was his 5th year in pro baseball, unless 2020 counts.

Offline imref

« Reply #71: June 08, 2023, 10:59:16 PM »
La Sorsa looks OK. Why did the Rays drop him? Out of options? This was his 5th year in pro baseball, unless 2020 counts.

Mediocre stuff and a glut of pitchers from what I saw

Offline welch

« Reply #72: June 09, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »
Mediocre stuff and a glut of pitchers from what I saw

Oh, to be the Rays!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #73: June 09, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »
Florida is having way too much good sports fortune these days - even their last-place teams are getting showered with manna from heaven.
Oh, to be the Rays!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #74: June 09, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »
Anthony Bass got DFA'd so maybe Corbs and Trevor will hit up their compatriot and offer him a bullpen gig.