Author Topic: The Sunshine Squad 2023: Gotta be better, right?  (Read 12210 times)

Online Natsinpwc

late jump so disacina held him. should have scored but decent chance wouldn't with the jump. probably figured bases loaded no outs would have been good enough
On the radio they were wondering why he held up at the start.  They didn’t seem to think the ball was ever catchable. I guess he lost it.

Offline Senatorswin

On the radio they were wondering why he held up at the start.  They didn’t seem to think the ball was ever catchable. I guess he lost it.

I was watching the Giants feed and they said the same thing. They wondered why he held up when at no time it seemed the ball was catchable.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Growing pains with Abrams.

Offline catocony

He tends to make mistakes in bunches, which is indicative of inexperience.  I have no idea why last night was a nervous night for him, but when he makes one mistake it seems to mess him up for the rest of the game. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He tends to make mistakes in bunches, which is indicative of inexperience.  I have no idea why last night was a nervous night for him, but when he makes one mistake it seems to mess him up for the rest of the game. 

His throws were definitely weak,  but one was rushed after a diving stop and he didn't have time to get a grip on the ball.  IIRC, he followed it with another diving stop. He's getting to balls that most SS's wouldn't, so maybe that puts him out of position to make good throws?  I don't think Ian Desmond would have made half the grabs that Abrams has made so far.

Online imref

Zuck notes on Dominic Smith:
Through his first 22 games, Smith was batting a paltry .221 with one extra-base hit, leading to a .542 OPS. Over his last 11 games, Smith has hit a much more robust .389, with one double and one homer, equating to a healthy .976 OPS.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Despite the lack of power in the lineup I have been extremely surprised at the ability of this team to score decently given the lack of a big bat.

Also they are not going to be a historically bad team which is news to me given how terrible they started the year off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Despite the lack of power in the lineup I have been extremely surprised at the ability of this team to score decently given the lack of a big bat.

Also they are not going to be a historically bad team which is news to me given how terrible they started the year off.
I think the development of Garcia and even Robles into guys with an acceptable to good sense of the strike zone with  fewer whiffs on strikes has led to a lot of the death by 1000 cuts strings of hits leading to runs. Ruiz has always had this skill  too, and while Meneses and Smith and Thomas up to recently have not shown power, they too have  been consistently getting on .  It is a noticeable style of offense.  they don't run well, so it's not like the 50s CWS, the 80s Cards, or the good royals teams last decade, but it is surprisingly effective as sort of  the anti-TTO.

Online Mattionals

I had no idea that Jake Alu is from my hometown.

Online Natsinpwc

I had no idea that Jake Alu is from my hometown.
He is Felipe Alu’s long lost grandson.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He is Felipe Alu’s long lost grandson.
his uncle Bob was on good terms with desi.

Online imref

2.5 back of the wild card. Imagine if Cavalli didn't get hurt and we didn't have to start Kuhl.

Online imref

Dominic Smith last ten games: .387/.500/.419, .919 OPS, 165 wRC+, 15.8 BB%, 7.9 K%

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
You're migrating from dad jokes to grampa jokes, aren't you.

his uncle Bob was on good terms with desi.

Offline UMDNats

Dominic Smith last ten games: .387/.500/.419, .919 OPS, 165 wRC+, 15.8 BB%, 7.9 K%

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
wow. a .042 iso. that's what you get when a guy is a slap hitter with a great eye can't run.  So 2023 Nats.  something tells me the .429 babip might not last, but the bb% is interesting. locked in for now.

Offline UMDNats

wow. a .042 iso. that's what you get when a guy is a slap hitter with a great eye can't run.  So 2023 Nats.  something tells me the .429 babip might not last, but the bb% is interesting. locked in for now.

An overall 93 OPS+ is crap for a 1B but on a team like this that is just trying to not be historically bad, you could do a lot worse. With his defense being plus you could even say it's better than a voit type mashing to a 105 OPS+ but with terrible d

Online Mattionals

An overall 93 OPS+ is crap for a 1B but on a team like this that is just trying to not be historically bad, you could do a lot worse. With his defense being plus you could even say it's better than a voit type mashing to a 105 OPS+ but with terrible d

Who is the Voit type you are referring to? As an aside, this post made me look at Voit's 2023 numbers and, wow, yea, dodged a bullet.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Rotation and pen are wild card worthy.  Just need another bat and some luck.  Maybe that’s kieboom.  Maybe it’s Hassell.  Maybe we need to go get a rental bat at the deadline.

Online imref

Offline Senatorswin

Boswell is on board:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/12/nationals-rebuild/

It's great to see a column by Boz. He's the best. He nailed it. At least now when I go to the park I have an expectation of some sorta good Washington baseball.

Offline Senatorswin

Who would of thought the Nats this year would have a player at Rochester (Baker) hitting .355 with an OBP of .422 and we wonder if we bring him up where's he gonna play? Can Garcia play third?

Online imref

Garcia at third would be about equivalent to starting Luke Voit at 3rd.

It would make more sense to move Garcia to DH, Meneses to RF and Thomas to LF moving Call and Garrett to the bench. That frees up 2nd for Baker.

That gives you a lineup of:
1. Baker
2. Thomas
3. Meneses
4. Ruiz
5. Garcia
6. Smith
7. Candalario (until Kieboom is ready)
8. Abrams
9. Robles

That's a nice improvement IMHO.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Who would of thought the Nats this year would have a player at Rochester (Baker) hitting .355 with an OBP of .422 and we wonder if we bring him up where's he gonna play? Can Garcia play third?
Or maybe we just slow roll a guy with less than 80 games above Single A. Pretty sure that .414 BABIP isnt sustainable

Online Mattionals

Or maybe we just slow roll a guy with less than 80 games above Single A. Pretty sure that .414 BABIP isnt sustainable

Yea, this. Dude has definitely propelled himself into some conversations with his hot start to the season, but we shouldn't be knighting him the starting job yet.