Author Topic: The Sunshine Squad 2023: Gotta be better, right?  (Read 12199 times)

Offline catocony

Right now, if you take out the 2-9 record against the top 4 teams in baseball, the Nats are 8-8.

Offline catocony

10-17 for April. Some bright spots with the top three starters and the bullpen.  The offense is just lacking power. 60 win pace. Seems about right.
10-16, since the first game was March 30th

Online Natsinpwc

10-16, since the first game was March 30th
Yes. My bad.

Offline aspenbubba

Though at times it seems that we are the worst team in MLB there are actually 5 teams with worse records ( Chisox, KC, Oakland, St.Louis and Col.) and we are tied with Detroit at 10-17.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
On May 1, this team looks like it could end up around 10 wins better with a handful of players acquired last two deadlines making an impact.

If that story continues, it isn't hard to see the Sunshine Squad outlook on this season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Saturday resulted in Banda being DFA'd and Kuhl going to the IL.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Davey talking about Joey, Garcia, and Ruiz and their hitting. Our future core is showing a lot so far this season.

Offline imref

The Athletic has the Nats up to 25 in their power rankings noting:

It would be premature of Rizzo and the Nationals front office to do a victory lap at this stage of the season. But to go from being the worst team in baseball in 2022 to an “eh, not awful” 10-17 record early in 2023 is a sizable W. More important than the record is who has powered those wins. The Nationals’ best players so far this season — Keibert Ruiz (.747 OPS), Josiah Gray (2.67 ERA), MacKenzie Gore (3.00 ERA) and Mason Thompson (1.89 ERA) — and their top prospects are primarily players acquired in the series of trades that gutted the Nationals’ post-World Series roster: Juan Soto, Max Scherzer, Trea Turner, Daniel Hudson, et al. When you tear down like that, you can’t afford to mess it up. There’s no guarantee Gray and Ruiz will continue their ascent, or that prospects will pan out, but Rizzo seems to have gotten crucial returns correct. So, as unpopular as this pick may be (Gray is more than worthy, too), April goes to Rizzo. – SN

Online IanRubbish

Going to my first Nats game this season Friday in Phoenix and it’s Gray day.  Will be wearing the city connect cap he signed last year in Los Angeles of Anaheim.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Going to my first Nats game this season Friday in Phoenix and it’s Gray day.  Will be wearing the city connect cap he signed last year in Los Angeles of Anaheim.
:clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
hope you get to see Gray and bullpen A - Thompson and Harvey.

Online IanRubbish

When I attend my first Nats game of ‘23, they will be wearing curly W caps, not the spring training W

Offline nfotiu

I was prepared for this season to be unwatchable, but they've had some really fun games to watch.   It's nice to see them being competive in games more often than not, and usually it's the young guys coming through.

Offline aspenbubba

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post in this thread but extrapolating our win percentage out the Nats are on pace for 65 wins

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure I'm allowed to post in this thread but extrapolating our win percentage out the Nats are on pace for 65 wins
I think most of us would have thought that would be optimistic at the start of the year, especially with how bad they looked in the first couple of series. Got to look back at the record prediction thread.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I think that qualifies as Sunshine in the context of this year.  It's not 100 losses.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Good starting pitching, good fielding, good relief pitching: that can win some games even though the team doesn't hit much.

Online IanRubbish

Better run differential than the Phillies, much better run differential than the Marlins.

Also, I'll be listening to Charlie and Dave on Sirius XM today during my morning commute.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
8-5 over the last 13

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Vic Robles is leading the team in hitting, just like we all knew he would.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Vic Robles is leading the team in hitting, just like we all knew he would.
and they won without Vic getting an AB today!

Depth!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Replace Kuhl with Ohtani and this is a playoff team

Offline imref

Replace Kuhl with Ohtani and this is a playoff team

I don't think the angels will agree to that trade.

Online Natsinpwc

I don't think the angels will agree to that trade.
Throw in Corbin and Robles.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Throw in Corbin and Robles.
strasburg I think won a silver slugger, so throw him in so he can hit on the days he's not pitching.