Author Topic: Joey Meneses 2023 - Is he for real?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Joey Meneses 2023 - Is he for real?
« Topic Start: February 05, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »
It seems nobody thinks Joey was the real deal in 2022. I was just looking at a story on Yahoo Sports by Zach Crizer and he's talking about why under the radar guys could become breakout players and stars in 2023. He picked a guys like Harrison Bader of the Yankees, who's been in the big leagues since 2017 and if he was going to do something would of by now, Vinnie Pasquantino, who was good but his stats don't match Joey's, and Bryan De La Cruz who wasn't as good as Joey. There were others on there also. None had the year Joey did last year.

I get it Joey is 30 years-old, but nobody thinks this guy was the real deal. I think he deserves to at least be on a list of players to watch with these guys. I guess the feeling is he can't sustain what he did last year. We'll see.

Past Meneses Threads:
Follow a Major Leaguer (2022 Clubhouse) - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40283.0
Follow at a Respectable Distance (2022 Farm) - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40110.0

Offline HondoKillebrew

Re: Re: Joey Meneses - follow a major leaguer
« Reply #1: February 05, 2023, 01:40:52 PM »
It seems nobody thinks Joey was the real deal in 2022. I was just looking at a story on Yahoo Sports by Zach Crizer and he's talking about why under the radar guys could become breakout players and stars in 2023. He picked a guys like Harrison Bader of the Yankees, who's been in the big leagues since 2017 and if he was going to do something would of by now, Vinnie Pasquantino, who was good but his stats don't match Joey's, and Bryan De La Cruz who wasn't as good as Joey. There were others on there also. None had the year Joey did last year.

I get it Joey is 30 years-old, but nobody thinks this guy was the real deal. I think he deserves to at least be on a list of players to watch with these guys. I guess the feeling is he can't sustain what he did last year. We'll see.

Meh. Yahoo sports list? I don't really care. It's fun during hot stove season to see players from your team make such lists but I wouldn't worry about it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: February 05, 2023, 04:14:17 PM »

fwiw, he's going around 20th in the average draft position in fantasy leagues Fangraphs tracks, right along with Jake Cronenworth and Brandon Drury. https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/first-base-adp-market-report-2-2-2023/ Considering it's fantasy, and it doesn't reflect D, that's an indication of things like Average or OBP, HR, SBs, RBIs. Projection systems mostly like his pop, but expect his average to drop significantly and with it OBP.  Most of that is driven by an expectation he won't repeat a .371 BABIP, which for a slow guy hits more grounders than flies isn't surprising. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: February 21, 2023, 10:44:40 AM »
Davey says Joey will play 1B, OF, and DH next year, he won't have a set everyday position.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Joey Meneses - Is he for real?
« Reply #4: March 13, 2023, 08:27:44 AM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/mexico-vs-united-states-in-world-baseball-classic-2023

Bump.  Imagine if this guy is for real.

Age 30 season, it's not to late to squeeze 3 or 4 years of quality out of a guy.  That might mean he would overlap with guys arriving in the 2025 time frame.  Maybe some Mikey Mo mashing?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #5: March 13, 2023, 08:35:00 AM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/mexico-vs-united-states-in-world-baseball-classic-2023

I want to believe. Picking up right where he left off last season, what an amazing story.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: March 13, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »

Age 30 season, it's not to late to squeeze 3 or 4 years of quality out of a guy.  That might mean he would overlap with guys arriving in the 2025 time frame.  Maybe some Mikey Mo mashing?

That's not a crazy comparison.  The swing and body are pretty similar.  I hope the results are, too.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Joey Meneses 2023 - Is he for real?
« Reply #7: March 13, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
Could bring back something nice at the deadline

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: March 13, 2023, 11:18:57 AM »
Could bring back something nice at the deadline
If he's hitting, then he has a ton of value with the years of control.  This is an MLB-minimum bat for the rest of this year and the next two.  You don't even have to offer him a Braves-like early long term contract to buy out a couple of years of free agency because nobody will buy out age 37+. That said, without a Godfather offer, I'm sure he fits into the cost-profile of the Nats for the near term. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #9: March 13, 2023, 01:36:45 PM »
No way they'd trade Meneses.  A late bloomer is a steal given CBA rules.  The Giants have had this the last few years with Mike Yastrzemski.  They are the cheapest early 30s productive talent you can get in this league.

Meneses might not be a .900 OPS hitter, but even at .750 he's well worth what he gets paid.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #10: March 13, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »
freak Mikey mo.  He’s Jose Bautista

Online Slateman

« Reply #11: March 13, 2023, 02:11:31 PM »
If he's hitting, then he has a ton of value with the years of control.  This is an MLB-minimum bat for the rest of this year and the next two.  You don't even have to offer him a Braves-like early long term contract to buy out a couple of years of free agency because nobody will buy out age 37+. That said, without a Godfather offer, I'm sure he fits into the cost-profile of the Nats for the near term. 
At his age, nothing is guaranteed next year. Strike while the iron is hot

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: March 13, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »
At his age, nothing is guaranteed next year. Strike while the iron is hot
If that’s how the experts feel you won’t get much in a trade. So just keep him. Some guys figure it out later than others.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: March 13, 2023, 02:23:32 PM »
So where does Caba Joey come from? On Google it says a caba is a handbag or basket.  That makes no sense.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: March 13, 2023, 02:36:24 PM »
So where does Caba Joey come from? On Google it says a caba is a handbag or basket.  That makes no sense.

Short for caballo (horse)?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: March 13, 2023, 02:47:21 PM »
Was he using horse drugs when suspended in Japan?  LOL.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #16: March 13, 2023, 02:51:56 PM »
That or maybe we just don't want to know.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #17: March 13, 2023, 03:44:55 PM »

Stanozolol. The one Cano and Palmeiro got nailed for. I'd say that qualifies as horse drugs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: March 13, 2023, 03:56:25 PM »

Stanozolol. The one Cano and Palmeiro got nailed for. I'd say that qualifies as horse drugs.
In light of Palmeiro being caught, if it isn't horse drugs then at least it's horse's butt drugs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #19: March 13, 2023, 04:55:26 PM »
LEGEND

Online Slateman

« Reply #20: March 13, 2023, 06:03:17 PM »
If that’s how the experts feel you won’t get much in a trade. So just keep him. Some guys figure it out later than others.
If he's mashing like this at the deadline, it will be assumed he will at least be similar in 2024. With expanded playoffs, it will be a sellers market again.

Im not expecting premium talent, but if the Guardians come knocking with Tanner Bibee, Roccino, Logan Allen, or Joey Cantillo, I just dont know how you say no to that. Especially for hoping Joey Meneses is still an 800+ OPS hitter in 2025

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #21: March 14, 2023, 09:10:38 AM »

This.  If you run together "caballo" and "Joey" (which makes sense in Mexican-accented Spanish), it makes a neat portmanteau. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: March 14, 2023, 09:21:02 AM »
This.  If you run together "caballo" and "Joey" (which makes sense in Mexican-accented Spanish), it makes a neat portmanteau.
Ahhhh.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: March 14, 2023, 10:57:43 AM »
curious - is the "J" in "Joey" pronounced like a jota or more like a jay when you do that?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #24: March 15, 2023, 10:25:37 AM »
curious - is the "J" in "Joey" pronounced like a jota or more like a jay when you do that?

Like Yo, Adrian.