Author Topic: Joey Meneses 2023 - Is he for real?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: Joey Meneses - follow a major leaguer
« Topic Start: February 05, 2023, 04:14:17 PM »
It seems nobody thinks Joey was the real deal in 2022. I was just looking at a story on Yahoo Sports by Zach Crizer and he's talking about why under the radar guys could become breakout players and stars in 2023. He picked a guys like Harrison Bader of the Yankees, who's been in the big leagues since 2017 and if he was going to do something would of by now, Vinnie Pasquantino, who was good but his stats don't match Joey's, and Bryan De La Cruz who wasn't as good as Joey. There were others on there also. None had the year Joey did last year.

I get it Joey is 30 years-old, but nobody thinks this guy was the real deal. I think he deserves to at least be on a list of players to watch with these guys. I guess the feeling is he can't sustain what he did last year. We'll see.
fwiw, he's going around 20th in the average draft position in fantasy leagues Fangraphs tracks, right along with Jake Cronenworth and Brandon Drury. https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/first-base-adp-market-report-2-2-2023/ Considering it's fantasy, and it doesn't reflect D, that's an indication of things like Average or OBP, HR, SBs, RBIs. Projection systems mostly like his pop, but expect his average to drop significantly and with it OBP.  Most of that is driven by an expectation he won't repeat a .371 BABIP, which for a slow guy hits more grounders than flies isn't surprising.