Author Topic: Bullpen - the strength of 2023?  (Read 4292 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Bullpen - the strength of 2023?
« Reply #75: May 26, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »
If I'm Davey Martinez I would look at it as we didn't expect Corbin, Gray, Gore and Williams to pitch like they are. If we stop blowing saves maybe I can win some games and get in the wild card conversation. If that happens maybe I can still manage this team next year.
Lol, they're no where near a wild card team. Anyone with a half a brain can see Corbin has been stupidly lucky to start the season. The wheels are coming off on Gore and, even if they don't, he hits his inning limit in August with nothing in the farm system to backfill. Rizzo isn't going to turn around a rebuild and start trading for assets. Hell, even if he wanted to, he probably wouldn't be allowed to by current ownership. If we're legitimately competing for a WC team, then why the hell are Call, Ruiz, Abrams, and Garcia still in the MLB roster?

Every measurable has Finnegan regressing this year. He turns 32 in September. He is at the end. He is amongst the worst relievers in baseball in giving up hard contact. His FIP and XERA are well over 5. His WHIP is 1.60. His home run rate makes Max look like a groundball pitcher.  Comparing Finnegan with the best closer in baseball is so unbelievably laughable that I'm wondering if you and PB69 are the same person.

Finn sucks. Trade him now while he has some value. Let Harvey get some more chances and see if he can get over the hump in save situations. That's something we need to know now, so the team can start preparing for meaningful baseball in a couple years. But one way or another, Finnegan is not a good closer by any measurement in baseball. We aren't competing. We're not even trying to compete. This is a rebuild, treat it as such.