Author Topic: Nats ticket prices for a sub-standard product  (Read 5045 times)

Offline machpost

Often ushers in the upper levels pay more attention than ushers in the lower levels. Which can be really annoying in a mostly empty ballpark when you want to stop by and visit friends just to end up getting harassed.
I've had this happen to me, when friends with much better seats are blocked by ushers from stopping by my fairly mediocre seats in the 300s. Most of the ushers don't really stop everybody to check their tickets these days and last season it seemed like they had about half as many ushers as usual, but once in a while you'll run into one on a power trip. I used to get a kick out of the usher a few years ago who went around scolding people who put their feet on the seats like she was our Kindergarten teacher.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I've had this happen to me, when friends with much better seats are blocked by ushers from stopping by my fairly mediocre seats in the 300s. Most of the ushers don't really stop everybody to check their tickets these days and last season it seemed like they had about half as many ushers as usual, but once in a while you'll run into one on a power trip. I used to get a kick out of the usher a few years ago who went around scolding people who put their feet on the seats like she was our Kindergarten teacher.
Just bring some lemons

Offline Senatorswin

Just bring some lemons

The lemon thing at Defenders games is a hoot.

Offline imref

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
(Image removed from quote.)

Saw that and checked the OD prices, they are in the 20% off range. I wonder which games/sections are 50% off.

Offline HalfSmokes

OD off at all means there will be savings above 50% later in the summer

Offline imref

I expect some additional promotions such as "Adults get to run the bases (in game)".

Offline HalfSmokes

I expect some additional promotions such as "Adults get to run the bases (in game)".

They'll need some Veeck level stuff is they want anyone at all in the stadium in August

Offline imref

i'd pay to drive the bullpen cart.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

The ad says "This week only", so there must be something being offered at 50% face value. I checked the opener and second game and didn't see anything with that much of a discount.

Offline Five Banners

The ad says "This week only", so there must be something being offered at 50% face value. I checked the opener and second game and didn't see anything with that much of a discount.

Maybe a September weeknight game against the Marlins?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Maybe a September weeknight game against the Marlins?

Section 403, row X, seat 13, half off, one night only.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
gonna guess the Rays night games the first week. 1st weeknight game is usually the worst attendance of the regularly scheduled games.

Offline imref

just looked up opening day tickets in the 130's around the Nats dugout. About $150 on nationals.com, and around $100 on Seatgeek.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The Ballpark app is now enabled to allow you to check prices at certain stands. I put a hot dog, peanuts, and a Stella in my cart and the price was $32. What was that old Monty Python bit about being no profit margin in the poor?

Offline Senatorswin

There's a story by NBC Sports that according to SeatGeek as of March 24 the cheapest average cost for tickets for all opening day games is Atlanta Braves at Washington Nationals at $73.

Offline IanRubbish

There's a story by NBC Sports that according to SeatGeek as of March 24 the cheapest average cost for tickets for all opening day games is Atlanta Braves at Washington Nationals at $73.

The Lerners are about to get a lesson in business management they never got owning buildings.  Deferring payroll out of higher attendance to lower attendance seasons was an awful financial strategy.  And yes, it was kind of obvious five years ago the massive deferrals would cause future problems paying future players which in turn would reduce future revenue.  And here we are.  $15 million this year for Max for services rendered when attendance was 800,000 fans higher. 

Offline Five Banners

The Lerners are about to get a lesson in business management they never got owning buildings.  Deferring payroll out of higher attendance to lower attendance seasons was an awful financial strategy.  And yes, it was kind of obvious five years ago the massive deferrals would cause future problems paying future players which in turn would reduce future revenue.  And here we are.  $15 million this year for Max for services rendered when attendance was 800,000 fans higher.

But by now, the MASN money was supposed to be rolling in, right?

Offline HalfSmokes

The Lerners are about to get a lesson in business management they never got owning buildings.  Deferring payroll out of higher attendance to lower attendance seasons was an awful financial strategy.  And yes, it was kind of obvious five years ago the massive deferrals would cause future problems paying future players which in turn would reduce future revenue.  And here we are. 
$15 million this year for Max for services rendered when attendance was 800,000 fans higher. 

Ted got his rig and it’s his kids’ problem now

Offline IanRubbish

Ted got his rig and it’s his kids’ problem now

This year alone, they'll owe Max $15m, Brad Hand $3.5m, Jon Lester $3m, and Rafael Soriano $2m.  Easily a league leading $23.5m in deferrals.   Then in '25, Corbin gets $10m after his contract is one, and of course Strasburg gets $26.67m a year from '27-'29.   

I'm not sure Mini Me or whoever else is running the show would have done things any differently.  When you defer Brad Hand and Rafael Soriano, that's not just cheap, it's taking stupidity a new level. 

Offline Natsinpwc

This year alone, they'll owe Max $15m, Brad Hand $3.5m, Jon Lester $3m, and Rafael Soriano $2m.  Easily a league leading $23.5m in deferrals.   Then in '25, Corbin gets $10m after his contract is one, and of course Strasburg gets $26.67m a year from '27-'29.   

I'm not sure Mini Me or whoever else is running the show would have done things any differently.  When you defer Brad Hand and Rafael Soriano, that's not just cheap, it's taking stupidity a new level.
Sure. But with the money not paid earlier they had they opportunity to invest and make a good return on those funds. And if they sell the team they are not on the hook for some of the deferrals. They don’t want to spend now because they are planning to sell the team. I think if they planned to keep the team they would be spending more to field a competitive squad. They are nowhere near the luxury tax line even if you factor in the deferrals being paid out now.

Offline Natsinpwc

This has the team estimated revenue up until 2021. Based on the big TV deals and MLB wide figures reported for 2022 I would think the Nats would have been up  to probably $350 million again.  So I don’t think you can make the argument that team revenue is lower now than when the attendance was higher. From a business sense it is always good to defer spending money till later years if you are not paying interest on it. I thought a couple of years ago the deferrals would kill the team but they seem kind of irrelevant in a rebuild. Maybe if the team is better in a couple of years they will be a factor. Also don’t forget that unlike most owners they did not have to pay to build a stadium. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/196692/revenue-of-the-washington-nationals-since-2006/

Offline catocony

I wouldn't want to make Robles feel bad.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Link to WaPo article by Jesse Daugherty:
The cost of building a new MLB team? Sometimes, it’s the fans who loved the old one.

Daugherty collected thoughts of fans at spring training and some staffers on the stage of the rebuild and its impact on fans' willingness to shell out for tickets. Some of the fans said that, if they are in a rebuild, they ought to promote harder with giveaways and the like. Jesse D also tries to speculate about what the SPH base is, but he makes the mistake of just looking at the lowest single attendance game (mistake because SPH have trading rights and will trade out of cruddy weeknight games in April to get more tickets for the more popular games).  He gets staff to identify sort of the Mendoza line for attendance, which is 2 million paid.  The staffer suggests that there's serious damage if the team falls below that. They were within 27,000 of that level last year, and I can't conceive of how they don't drop lower this year.

One morning in early March, Scott Ableman, two friends and two others, all die-hard Washington Nationals fans, sat on bleachers by a backfield at the team’s spring training facility, talking about the past and present. They had watched drills start and finish. They were waiting around to see minor leaguers play. So to kill time, they debated whether 2023 promised to be like the Nationals’ 2010, when the club improved by 10 wins — a seismic jump in those days — and showed a sign or two of life.
“In a lot of ways, we agreed 2010 is a good comparison for right now just because it feels like they are working toward something but not exactly close to it yet. But 2010 had Ryan Zimmerman. It had Liván Hernández leading the staff. It had Stephen Strasburg on the way.”

Discusses the rebuild and fans waiting through it, and how that impacts revenues.

“I’ve gone down from 20 games to 15 to 10 just because I don’t think the product is worth it and it’s not an enjoyable experience right now,” said Jesse Roach, who has had partial season tickets since 2017 and used to attend almost every home game. “They are not operating as if they are a very bad team, because very bad teams have cooler promotions, they do more to engage the fans, they do quirky things. They are charging as if they are a team that just won the World Series, and they are not that at all.”

As the team’s record worsened in recent years, the price of many seats steadily increased, though the cost of most season plans did stay the same from 2022 to 2023. Still, a “significant number” of season plan holders did not renew, according to two people familiar with the situation, and attendance is expected to dip considerably. A team spokeswoman declined to provide year-to-year specifics for season plan holders. But full season plan holders are counted in the paid attendance of every game, and Washington’s lowest attendance of 2022 was 9,261 for the first leg of a doubleheader in mid-April.

Discusses also the bargains they have been offering for Opening day, noting that, as of a few weeks ago, you could get blocks of 6 seats in 50 of the sections in the park.

Offline HalfSmokes

If 2 million really is a line they won't cross, I can see them doing discounts and give aways to get to that number. They've got to be down to die hards for season ticket holders and I can't imagine that they picked up any new ones