Author Topic: Are The Nationals in Spring Training?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Are The Nationals in Spring Training?
« Reply #25: March 02, 2023, 11:59:47 AM »
It’s certainly true in Philly although the Sixers get some buzz. At least the Eagles are not a crap show although you would not know that from the talk radio guys most of the time. Wonder how it is in Boston?

Remember how the NFL was going to lose all those fans after the anthem protests?  LOL.
my view is colored because of my brother, who does not like watching baseball, but my impression from the talk shows that he listens to is that Patriots are year-round but they don't push the Celtics or the Bruins off the radar in season the past 10 years. The Red Sox get attention throughout the year, but less than the in-season teams. Pats off-season tops the Red Sox off-season, but with Xander and Devers being in the news this off-season, and Cora admitting various sins, they generate some talk.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: March 02, 2023, 01:21:52 PM »
I think most people who care about sports just listen to podcasts when driving now. I'd rather listen to an hour or a half hour on a topic that I like with a host and guests who I also like than hear a host who is mildly interested in a given sport taking calls from Joe in Manassas on their opinion of the nats farm system

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: March 02, 2023, 01:24:59 PM »
Yes, by Daniel Snyder, whose wife Tanya Snyder has been running the franchise while her husband Daniel Snyder looks into leg-lengthening surgery and other ways to "look like a human being" after his  general demeanor and efforts at an open collar, beard, and spray tan just left him being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein's creepy and vindictive little brother.
:hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #28: March 02, 2023, 01:26:18 PM »

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #29: March 02, 2023, 10:51:10 PM »
I don't live in the DC area anymore, and most of the sports media I listen to is national via SiriusXM.  But I listen to Colin Cowherd quite a bit during football season and he never talks baseball.  After the Super Bowl until about May/June his show is dominated by NBA.  When I do listen to local radio here in the Bay Area, there's a good split between the Niners, Giants, and Warriors, but during the late fall there's almost no baseball talk while there's always some football talk.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #30: March 03, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »
There are a lot more casuals who care about the NFL than MLB. That's not new. Maybe if the Nationals were extremely good and the Skins awful, that paradigm could be different, but with both teams bad, the football team will win out.

What's the big National storyline? "Will Patrick Corbin last more than 4 IP on Opening Day"  "Does Kieboom or Candelario... Candelario is a National?"  "Golly, Jeter Downs may push Luis Garcia at 2B!"  "Is Strasburg an awful contract or the worst contract ever?"

I am a big Nationals fan. We all are. I see lots of intriguing pieces on this team to follow. But you can't fault a casual fan who sees nothing but a cheaply assembled team with spare parts acquired from trades of the players they used to like. The best projection I've seen for this team is Fangraphs putting them at 66 wins. Even if this team overperforms and claws its way to 70 wins, a 70-92 record isn't going to get many people excited. Especially if the Commanders get a new owner and there is some exciting stadium developments.

It is what it is. We support a baseball team with some of the most expensive prices in baseball whose ownership can't find someone to sell the team to and whose on field product could easily post another 100+ loss season. This is a disaster for building a fanbase and interest. This ownership group could not give one flying freak about the fans and the fans can return that interest.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: March 03, 2023, 06:30:20 PM »
I’d rather be impaled than listen sports talk radio.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #32: March 08, 2023, 08:46:46 AM »
I’d rather be impaled than listen sports talk radio.

:clap: I know we all love sports here to varying degrees, but I just don't get how so many of y'all can listen to that garbage.

It'd be one thing if these people knew what they were talking about, but 95% of the sports media are just guys who are winging it but "good" at talking.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: March 08, 2023, 09:40:35 AM »
:clap: I know we all love sports here to varying degrees, but I just don't get how so many of y'all can listen to that garbage.

It'd be one thing if these people knew what they were talking about, but 95% of the sports media are just guys who are winging it but "good" at talking.

"We don't know"

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: March 08, 2023, 09:55:07 AM »

It's background noise that you can easily tune out. I've moved away from radio to podcasts because I can't stand hosts who don't know a given sport opining on it and I really don't like listening to callers

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #35: March 08, 2023, 09:55:45 AM »

I enjoy national sports radio.

Nothing against local radio hosts. Locals are often every bit as good as the national types, but they just have a lesser set of items to discuss. I can turn on Colin Cowherd or Paul Finebaum and they're going to be going from interesting topic to interesting topic. A local like Kevin Sheehan is torn between, "Do I lose more audience share from talking Daron Payne extension or trade for the fourth time this week, or by talking about a non-DC sports story like where will the PAC-12 left behinds end up?"

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #36: March 08, 2023, 11:49:04 AM »
It's background noise that you can easily tune out. I've moved away from radio to podcasts because I can't stand hosts who don't know a given sport opining on it and I really don't like listening to callers

What Nats podcasts do you recommend?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: March 08, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »

I haven't found any. The only local one that I listen to is Tony Kornheiser and that's less sports and more nostalgia

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: March 08, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »
Bustin Loose Baseball
Next Gen Nats
Half Street High Heat
Locked On Nationals

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #39: March 08, 2023, 01:12:26 PM »
 :thumbs:

Is that your order, too?

Bustin Loose Baseball
Next Gen Nats
Half Street High Heat
Locked On Nationals

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #40: March 08, 2023, 02:09:28 PM »
"Nats Chat" with Zuckerman and Galdi. Every game day in season. Usually 30-60 minutes. A bit about the game and then a couple segments about larger storyline. They always note discussion starting points in the description so you can jump past segments you don't care about.

Zuckerman and Galdi are really good.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #41: March 08, 2023, 02:32:38 PM »
Thanks.

"Nats Chat" with Zuckerman and Galdi. Every game day in season. Usually 30-60 minutes. A bit about the game and then a couple segments about larger storyline. They always note discussion starting points in the description so you can jump past segments you don't care about.

Zuckerman and Galdi are really good.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #42: March 08, 2023, 02:34:56 PM »
:thumbs:

Is that your order, too?

Sure, but I stopped listening to Locked On Nationals with the new host. Just something I find tedious about him. Some pretty bad takes too.

HSHH was fun in 2019 and 2020, but it looks like they're trying to branch out into more baseball and more sports.

Honestly, only Bustin Loose gets bumped up in my playlist. The rest I listen to when I've run out of Just Baseball, Baseball is Dead, Lions Led By Donkeys, 2 Bears, 1 Cave, and whatever Rogan one offs I downloaded. Might change during the season, but for now, the Nats specific podcasts are pretty meh.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #43: March 08, 2023, 02:41:22 PM »
There's a really great Nats podcast in my brain of all these perfect takes, analysis and scouting reports but it's too much work to share it all with the everyday Nats fan. Sorry everyone.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: March 08, 2023, 04:02:26 PM »
Thanks.
Me too. Just tried to listen to one of those but they keep crashing on my IPhone. Will try again later.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #45: March 08, 2023, 07:57:12 PM »
I started listening today in Baltimore and ended up the day in Baltimore. In between I was in DC this afternoon. All sports talk radio today in both cities at all times was Lamar Jackson. 105.7 Baltimore, 630, 980 and 106.7 DC.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #46: March 09, 2023, 09:55:51 AM »
I started listening today in Baltimore and ended up the day in Baltimore. In between I was in DC this afternoon. All sports talk radio today in both cities at all times was Lamar Jackson. 105.7 Baltimore, 630, 980 and 106.7 DC.
To be fair, that's a pretty big national story in America's most popular sport that so happens to be relevant here locally.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: March 09, 2023, 10:14:15 AM »
To be fair, that's a pretty big national story in America's most popular sport that so happens to be relevant here locally.

There are a ton of angles too- does he get the fully guaranteed deal or do owners close ranks, does this push Rogers to a back burner, are the Ravens just trying to get another team to set the market or are they willing to let him go?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #48: March 09, 2023, 10:18:24 AM »

I agree. I guess it's what the people want to hear.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: March 09, 2023, 01:32:32 PM »
I agree. I guess it's what the people want to hear.

Are there even any story lines in Nats spring training? I can't think of one.