Author Topic: MLB TV 2023  (Read 1299 times)

Online Natsinpwc

MLB TV 2023
« Topic Start: February 15, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »
Price has gone up to $150. But includes minor league games. Although you have to watch them on a separate app so not sure if that works on Roku.  Usually I wait until later in the year for a discount but think I will go all in as I have cut the cord on cable.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: MLB TV 2023
« Reply #1: February 15, 2023, 08:23:33 AM »
Still has local blackouts

Offline machpost

« Reply #2: February 15, 2023, 08:29:34 AM »
I wonder if it will continue to be a Nats Plus perk. I wouldn't be too shocked if they took this away from us, too.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #3: February 15, 2023, 08:35:38 AM »
Still has local blackouts

There are ways around that, but it can be a serious hassle depending on what else you watch. I've used MLB.tv for a few years, but I cancelled it because it was simply too much of a nuisance to be adjusting settings all the time to allow my wife to watch a streaming service she likes that wouldn't play when I had things set up to allow MLB.tv to work. I hate feeling like I'm caving to Angelos, but....

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: February 15, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
There are ways around that, but it can be a serious hassle depending on what else you watch. I've used MLB.tv for a few years, but I cancelled it because it was simply too much of a nuisance to be adjusting settings all the time to allow my wife to watch a streaming service she likes that wouldn't play when I had things set up to allow MLB.tv to work. I hate feeling like I'm caving to Angelos, but....

The easiest way around it is not giving them money until they fix it

Online Slateman

« Reply #5: February 15, 2023, 08:57:02 AM »
The easiest way around it is not giving them money until they fix it
No, the easiest way is to set up a VPN on a laptop and then cast it to the TV you want.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: February 15, 2023, 09:49:16 AM »
I’m in Florida most of the time so blackouts not an issue unless they play the Florida teams. Fewer games against Miami this year. Have no idea why they put Marlins games on cable here.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: February 15, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »
Not sure what changed a year ago, but the VPN I used the previous year no longer worked.  I cancelled MLB.tv because I could no longer spoof my location well enough. Maybe because I was using ROKU and not a laptop?  VPN product recommendation?
No, the easiest way is to set up a VPN on a laptop and then cast it to the TV you want.

Online Slateman

« Reply #8: February 15, 2023, 03:48:38 PM »
Not sure what changed a year ago, but the VPN I used the previous year no longer worked.  I cancelled MLB.tv because I could no longer spoof my location well enough. Maybe because I was using ROKU and not a laptop?  VPN product recommendation?

Nord or Surfshark have both worked for me

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #9: February 15, 2023, 07:47:32 PM »
Nord or Surfshark have both worked for me
Yes, Nord works.  I hardwire my laptop to my Sony Bravia (2014 model) TV.
Here's what I have to do to get it to work consistently:
1.  Log into MLB.com or MLB TV without VPN connection.
2. Once logged into MLB TV app, start a VPN connection.
3.  Watch game.
4. Disconnect from VPN.
5. Log out of MLB TV.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #10: February 16, 2023, 12:59:49 AM »
I wonder if it will continue to be a Nats Plus perk. I wouldn't be too shocked if they took this away from us, too.

My rep confirmed it will be a Nats Plus perk again this year.

I used SmartDNSProxy last year and it worked great.  I changed the DNS setting in my router, so all devices in my house were spoofed when it came to MLB.tv.  Occasionally the Roku on my TV would complain, but I could always bring the game up on either my computer or my FireTV device.  Hopefully it will still work this year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: February 16, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »
SmartDNSProxy is what failed for me, but I'm starting to think it had more to do with trying to access MLB.TV from my Roku device. I think I read somewhere that Roku does something extra to limit your ability to DNS hop.

I'm going to try it again this year, from a laptop.

Thanks everyone.

My rep confirmed it will be a Nats Plus perk again this year.

I used SmartDNSProxy last year and it worked great.  I changed the DNS setting in my router, so all devices in my house were spoofed when it came to MLB.tv.  Occasionally the Roku on my TV would complain, but I could always bring the game up on either my computer or my FireTV device.  Hopefully it will still work this year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #12: February 16, 2023, 11:12:15 AM »
Thanks for the procedure.

Yes, Nord works.  I hardwire my laptop to my Sony Bravia (2014 model) TV.
Here's what I have to do to get it to work consistently:
1.  Log into MLB.com or MLB TV without VPN connection.
2. Once logged into MLB TV app, start a VPN connection.
3.  Watch game.
4. Disconnect from VPN.
5. Log out of MLB TV.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #13: February 16, 2023, 11:27:21 AM »
I'd guess this is the last year where there isn't some kind of in-market streaming available, either through mlb.tv or other service.   In fact, it may happen this year.

The bally sports net bankruptcy and ATT not fully paying teams will start a lot of wheels in motion.

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: February 16, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »
SmartDNSProxy is what failed for me, but I'm starting to think it had more to do with trying to access MLB.TV from my Roku device. I think I read somewhere that Roku does something extra to limit your ability to DNS hop.

I'm going to try it again this year, from a laptop.

Thanks everyone.

I asked around and did a little more digging. Id say its the Roku box. Even the most basic, free VPN should be able to spoof your location.

Offline miller10

« Reply #15: February 16, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »
Price has gone up to $150. But includes minor league games. Although you have to watch them on a separate app so not sure if that works on Roku.  Usually I wait until later in the year for a discount but think I will go all in as I have cut the cord on cable.
Well, considering the Nats are a minor league team, maybe they will be on that other app.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: February 16, 2023, 09:04:31 PM »
Well, considering the Nats are a minor league team, maybe they will be on that other app.
Touché.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #17: February 17, 2023, 10:22:34 AM »
MLB: Bally network troubles could lead to end of blackouts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mlb/mlb-bally-network-troubles-could-lead-to-end-of-blackouts/2023/02/16/dbae79dc-ae59-11ed-b0ba-9f4244c6e5da_story.html

DUNEDIN, Fla. — As baseball prepares for a possible local broadcasting crisis, Commissioner Rob Manfred sees an opportunity.

Manfred said Thursday that Major League Baseball can produce games digitally in conjunction with MLB.TV if Bally Sports regional networks are no longer broadcasting them. In fact, he said this is a chance to address the game blackouts that inspire so much anger among fans.

Diamond Sports Group, the parent company of 19 Bally Sports networks, skipped about $140 million in interest payments due Wednesday, starting a 30-day grace period that could be the prelude to a bankruptcy filing.

“I don’t relish any of this,” Manfred said at a spring training media day. “I think it’s necessary to have a centrally based solution to what’s a really serious problem and move us forward to our next stage of delivering games to fans, delivering them where they want to watch them, and without the kind of blackouts that we’ve had in the old model.”

Manfred acknowledged some teams could be at risk of losing revenue, depending on the status of their regional sports networks, and that MLB is prepared to help.

“You know, we have a pretty good balance sheet in central baseball,” he said. “I think it’s safe to assume that we will provide every support that we possibly can to those clubs that are at risk.”

Manfred said MLB’s willingness to step in aggressively if the Bally networks can no longer broadcast is driven partly by the fact that it would give baseball a chance to fix blackout issues. Currently, a game might be unavailable digitally in the market of the competing teams if a RSN has exclusive rights in that area.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: February 17, 2023, 10:48:11 AM »
There is no chance that the Yankees/YES or the Red Sox/NESN agree to end blackouts without suing or a massive payout

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: February 17, 2023, 10:48:53 AM »
There is no chance that the Yankees/YES or the Red Sox/NESN agree to end blackouts without suing or a massive payout
And the Dodgers

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #20: February 17, 2023, 12:04:32 PM »
Pay TV bundles are trending to around 50% penetration this year if I remember right.   

The Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have to realize that there games aren’t available for half their fans.   

That RSN money isn’t going to be there forever.   You can’t have much of a league if only 3 teams have lucrative local deals.   There is also a possibility that since the current deals don’t include streaming rights, they could unilaterally open up mlb.tv and just let those deals like the dodgers run their course. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #21: February 17, 2023, 12:26:46 PM »
What do you mean half?

Like, if RSNs go away, the games wont be broadcasted on free TV. More than likely, there will be an MLB TV local channel that you pay for, that only covers the teams in your network.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: February 17, 2023, 12:38:41 PM »
While the Dodgers deal is for a lot of money, is the channel on as solid a footing as NESN and Yes?  Those are profitable entities.  I thought the Dodgers broadcaster is not as established.

FWIW, NESN has a streaming service. I'm just not sure of its availability in NE. I'm sure they could adapt.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #23: February 17, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »
What do you mean half?

Like, if RSNs go away, the games wont be broadcasted on free TV. More than likely, there will be an MLB TV local channel that you pay for, that only covers the teams in your network.
The revenue from that is peanuts compared to what they were used to getting in the rsn world.  Optimistically the Red Sox and Yankees could get 20~30 million from a 20-30/ month service like nesn is doing.  That’s nothing compared to the 200-300 million some were getting  from rsn des relying on carriage fees.   It’s more than the other teams but a national product shared across the league and attractively priced could fetch as much or more per team.  And the games are accessible and not just limited to people with cable or who are hardcore fans willing to pay 30/month

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: February 17, 2023, 03:50:09 PM »
Pay TV bundles are trending to around 50% penetration this year if I remember right.   

The Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have to realize that there games aren’t available for half their fans.   

That RSN money isn’t going to be there forever.   You can’t have much of a league if only 3 teams have lucrative local deals.   There is also a possibility that since the current deals don’t include streaming rights, they could unilaterally open up mlb.tv and just let those deals like the dodgers run their course. 

They may realize that, but I'm note sure that any of them are looking forward to their revenue being gate receipts plus 1/30th of all TV and streaming revenue. For the big market clubs, that would be crushing.