Author Topic: 2023 rule changes  (Read 643 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
2023 rule changes
« Topic Start: February 13, 2023, 01:35:51 PM »
- Ghost runner on 2nd in extra innings will continue
- Teams can only have a position player pitch if up by 10 or trailing by 8 in the 9th.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/mlbs-joint-competition-committee-votes-to-make-ghost-runner-rule-permanent-limits-on-position-players-pitching.html

Online Natsinpwc

Re: 2023 rule changes
« Reply #1: February 13, 2023, 01:42:26 PM »

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #2: February 13, 2023, 01:48:13 PM »
- Teams can only have a position player pitch if up by 10 or trailing by 8 in the 9th.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/mlbs-joint-competition-committee-votes-to-make-ghost-runner-rule-permanent-limits-on-position-players-pitching.html
They really should just allow a team to concede with those same conditions.   Most fans exit games like that anyway.   It would be nice to be able to cheer a concession handshake from the visiting manager instead of having to stick around a probably already long game that the team has given up on.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: February 13, 2023, 01:50:34 PM »
The Manfred Man.

I think position players pitching should be allowed anytime a team is trailing, and anytime after the 5th if a team is winning. If a team wants to tank, it's a strategic call.  I get trying to save arms.  The contra argument is that a team should have to chew up its regular staff if it is going to stink out the joint, thereby discouraging tanking.  I get that, but waiting until the 9th is extreme.

Online imref

« Reply #4: February 13, 2023, 02:28:32 PM »
The Manfred Man.

I think position players pitching should be allowed anytime a team is trailing, and anytime after the 5th if a team is winning. If a team wants to tank, it's a strategic call.  I get trying to save arms.  The contra argument is that a team should have to chew up its regular staff if it is going to stink out the joint, thereby discouraging tanking.  I get that, but waiting until the 9th is extreme.

How do you determine if someone is a pitcher given guys like Ohtani?

They could make the ghost runner more interesting by using real ghosts and calling out paranormal investigation teams to detect if a team has deployed a ghost runner.

Or just use pitchers as ghost runners.

Or fans.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #5: February 13, 2023, 02:55:05 PM »

The 12th should be the earliest for ghost runner so as to not actually affect in-game strategy for the nine innings, but on it goes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: February 13, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »
How do you determine if someone is a pitcher given guys like Ohtani?

They could make the ghost runner more interesting by using real ghosts and calling out paranormal investigation teams to detect if a team has deployed a ghost runner.

Or just use pitchers as ghost runners.

Or fans.
Balloons would be cool if they are not navigable.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: February 13, 2023, 06:26:32 PM »
The Manfred Man.

Revved up like a douche, another (ghost) runner on second

Ugh, I hate the damn ghost runner.  Sadly, it's probably never going away at this rate.

The 12th should be the earliest for ghost runner so as to not actually affect in-game strategy for the nine innings, but on it goes.

I like this as a compromise.

Online imref

« Reply #8: February 13, 2023, 09:20:54 PM »
Maybe after 10?  I don’t want to see teams waste bullpens

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: February 13, 2023, 10:35:50 PM »
I mean, at this point, just have ties

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: February 14, 2023, 09:42:08 AM »
I mean, at this point, just have ties
ties are so un-baseball.  There's no limit on how long you play.  At least the Manfred Man gives both sides a shot at scoring, preserving the balance of an inning, and you play until a win.  The Manfred Man is an offense boost, but there's been lots of offense boosts like the DH and tinkering with zone and the mound.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: February 14, 2023, 09:52:01 AM »

Deciding to waste or save a bullpen for the next game is part of the calculation that managers have to make.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: February 14, 2023, 09:55:58 AM »
Deciding to waste or save a bullpen for the next game is part of the calculation that managers have to make.
Yea but with starters only going five innings bullpens are already overworked. Need to expand rosters more which owners don’t want to do. Of course the PA is happy to end games earlier. Why would anyone want to work more time for the same money? 

In the scheme of things there are not many extra inning games. And the games are so long anyway I have a hard time getting upset. Ties would be good.

Online imref

« Reply #13: February 14, 2023, 09:59:11 AM »
Yea but with starters only going five innings bullpens are already overworked. Need to expand rosters more which owners don’t want to do. Of course the PA is happy to end games earlier. Why would anyone want to work more time for the same money? 

In the scheme of things there are not many extra inning games. And the games are so long anyway I have a hard time getting upset. Ties would be good.

Go the NHL route:
- 1 inning extra, if no team leads after the 10th
- HR derby - each team gets one pitch (thrown by their own pitcher) to five different batters, whichever team has the most home runs after 5 wins
- if still tied after 5, each team gets 1 more batter until such time as one team leads

Fans would much prefer this over the ghost runner IMHO.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: February 14, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
Revved up like a douche, another (ghost) runner on second

Ugh, I hate the damn ghost runner.  Sadly, it's probably never going away at this rate.

I like this as a compromise.
I thought it was a deuce?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: February 14, 2023, 10:08:37 AM »

I like the idea of ties. As a time saving measure, I doubt this actually accomplishes much.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: February 14, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »
yabut everyone thought Mann's singer said the other word, which helped the popularity. 

Bruce's lyric, btw, is "cut loose like a deuce" coupe.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #17: February 14, 2023, 11:30:08 AM »
ties are so un-baseball.  There's no limit on how long you play.  At least the Manfred Man gives both sides a shot at scoring, preserving the balance of an inning, and you play until a win.  The Manfred Man is an offense boost, but there's been lots of offense boosts like the DH and tinkering with zone and the mound.

Artificially-produced base runners may be more “un-baseball“ then just admitting in the modern game during the sport’s regular season of unparalleled length that there is going to be a limit to play based on preservation of assets as it were. Games get stopped because of the weather and curfew plenty of times without those in attendance seeing a winner that night.

They could call it in the 12th during the regular season without anyone who doesn’t deserve to be on base be there. Not that I’m advocating for that particularly, but in terms of the realm of “un-baseball”, they don’t seem to actively trample on the long-established concept of the game versus just stopping play.

If an extra runner is going to trade on the concept of being exciting while fundamentally changing the game, go all the way and put a trained – – or untrained – – kangaroo on second base. That would get on social media and keep people interested in the game like nobody’s business. My personal preference to make this the most watched sport is have each team try to ride a bull out of the ballpark cart pen before the tenth inning. Those that stay on for eight seconds get to finish the game.

Online imref

« Reply #18: February 14, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »
yabut everyone thought Mann's singer said the other word, which helped the popularity. 

Bruce's lyric, btw, is "cut loose like a deuce" coupe.

I saw a Bruce show on TV in which he talked about that song and mentioned how shocked he was when he heard the Manfred Mann version and realized he had turned a key line into a feminine hygiene product.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #19: February 14, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »
I suspect there was a technical reason - like the Earth Band vocalist didn't know how to pronounce 'deuce'... ;)

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #20: February 15, 2023, 12:18:53 PM »

Yes! The ghost runner reminds me of games as a kid when we played three a side...you'd hit a triple and call "imaginary runner on third base". A childish rule.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #21: February 15, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »

Another sickness in MLB now: the one-inning reliever that follows a five-inning "quality start". If a team runs out of one-inning relievers, then tough. Ah, but, no, MLB changes the rules to protect them.

At least this means it is unlikely that a pitcher will match or break Tom Cheney's strikeout record. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: February 16, 2023, 02:38:34 AM »

Right, but I went with the oft-misheard version to fit Manfred better.

Exactly.  Teams that go overboard with pitching changes (i.e. dumb) deserve to waste bullpens.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: February 16, 2023, 07:25:30 AM »
Right, but I went with the oft-misheard version to fit Manfred better.

Ah.  I get it. Manfred Mann.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #24: February 17, 2023, 05:44:35 PM »
A position player pitching takes a game that is of no interest to anyone except bored fans of the winning team and turns it into must-watch TV for the entire nation. In a just world, there would be a channel like NFL Goal Line that immediately cuts to any game where a position player is pitching.

I get it, Jose Canseco once hurt himself pitching. But usually it's like a backup second baseman.

I guess this is really a rule against the sketchy switches managers were doing a few years ago where they temporary moved a position player to pitcher for one batter and then moved him back. Same reason they needed that stupid two-way player rule.