Author Topic: Carter Kieboom: finally the year?  (Read 11771 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Section214

Re: Carter Kieboom: finally the year?
« Reply #1: January 21, 2023, 08:12:27 AM »
As many have said, I expect Kieboom to get every opportunity to win the 3B job to start the season. It would be fantastic for the entire organization if he took the opportunity and ran with it. The skill set for a good player is in there, still only 25. C'mon Carter!

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #2: January 21, 2023, 09:50:28 AM »
Sorry folks but I have been a KieBUSTS detractror for a long time. I just don't see it as he can't hit or field. Those early HR's on his initial call up made him feel like he was the second coming of Anthony Rendon. Give him a shot then DFA him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: January 21, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
Sorry folks but I have been a KieBUSTS detractror for a long time. I just don't see it as he can't hit or field. Those early HR's on his initial call up made him feel like he was the second coming of Anthony Rendon. Give him a shot then DFA him.
Most likely. Might as well give him a chance as you say.  Maybe Robles will learn to hit.  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: January 21, 2023, 10:57:17 AM »
As many have said, I expect Kieboom to get every opportunity to win the 3B job to start the season. It would be fantastic for the entire organization if he took the opportunity and ran with it. The skill set for a good player is in there, still only 25. C'mon Carter!
I don't see him getting a legit shot for the 1st half of this year with Dom and Meneses at 1st and DH and with Candelario needing to play. Candelario and Dom have to play, and Dom is not playing the OF.  Unless they are contemplating Meneses playing a fair amount in right with Thomas in CF, and Dom sitting vs LHP, I don't see him even sticking on the 26 man out of spring if he has an option.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: January 21, 2023, 11:07:41 AM »
I don't think they are contemplating heavy platooning, but the Kieboom scenario might be:

vs. LHP

Kieboom 3rd, Candelario 1st, Meneses DH, Thomas RF, Robles CF, Call/Garrett LF.  both Dickerson and Smith on the bench.

vs RHP
Kieboom 3rd, Smith 1st, Candelario DH, Meneses RF, Dickerson LF, Thomas / Call CF.  More realistically, one of Kieboom, Candelario, Meneses, and Thomas probably rests vs. RHP, but I regard both these line ups vs. RHP as improbable.

Much more likely is both Garrett and Kieboom start the year in AAA, with Robles in CF close to full  time and Call as the 4th OF.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: January 21, 2023, 11:59:15 AM »
Just as the Nats have collected other teams' former 1st round picks, somebody will collect Kieboom this season. At least Robles can play CF in the 8th and 9th innings. Kieboom can't field and he can't hit.

Sure, Vargas might only be a .230 hitter, but he can field.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: January 21, 2023, 02:46:40 PM »
I don't see him getting a legit shot for the 1st half of this year with Dom and Meneses at 1st and DH and with Candelario needing to play. Candelario and Dom have to play, and Dom is not playing the OF.  Unless they are contemplating Meneses playing a fair amount in right with Thomas in CF, and Dom sitting vs LHP, I don't see him even sticking on the 26 man out of spring if he has an option.

Gonna be pretty obvious pretty quickly why no one wanted Dom Smith or Candelario. They can start Kieboom in Triple A, as he hasnt seen competitive pitching in over a year. Get him back into playing shape and make sure his arm is good.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: January 22, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »
Considering what Anderson got from Milwaukee, I 'd say Candy did ok for himself

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #9: February 11, 2023, 07:47:08 PM »
I think he gets one last chance to prove himself.   Rizzo's invested in him as a former first rounder, and he is close to going down as yet another Rizzo first round bust.  He did show a few signs in '21, and can be patient at the plate, but if I had to bet I'd say he's the second coming of Kory Casto.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: February 16, 2023, 05:59:49 PM »
Update:

Feb. 16: 3B Carter Kieboom progressing in return from Tommy John surgery
Kieboom, who underwent Tommy John surgery last May because of a right forearm flexor mass/ulnar collateral ligament strain, is throwing across the diamond to the bases.

“Now, it’s just about angles,” manager Dave Martinez said. “Everything so far has been over the top, using his legs. We’ve got to get him comfortable throwing on, say, a slow ground ball from down here, making backhand throws from across the diamond at third base. But it’s coming. He’s out there every day.”

There is no date set for his return, and Kieboom could get into Spring Training action by taking at-bats in the designated hitter role to face live pitchers. Martinez noted of the 2016 first-round pick, “We’re going to hold him back, just because. I want him to feel really comfortable doing everything before we put him in a game.”

Offline welch

« Reply #11: March 02, 2023, 11:16:37 AM »
Starting DH today.

Offline imref

« Reply #12: March 02, 2023, 06:42:51 PM »
0-2, BB, SB

Offline welch

« Reply #14: March 13, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
When will Kieboom return from the latest injury?

Offline imref

« Reply #15: March 22, 2023, 10:46:07 AM »
Jesse Dougherty  @dougherty_jesse
2d
Carter Kieboom update: He’s currently playing catch but has not yet thrown across the diamond since his setback. He hit in a backfield minor league game yesterday but didn’t swing much, preferring to see a lot of pitches to get his timing down.

Offline imref

« Reply #16: March 31, 2023, 05:00:49 PM »
Kieboom is listed as a reserve OF on the Red Wings roster.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #17: April 02, 2023, 09:34:04 PM »
Total bust

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: April 03, 2023, 10:19:02 AM »
Kieboom is listed as a reserve OF on the Red Wings roster.
He's on the major league 10 day IL
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/40-man

03/30/23   Washington Nationals placed SS Carter Kieboom on the 10-day injured list retroactive to March 27, 2023. Right shoulder impingement.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/transactions/2023/03

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #19: April 03, 2023, 11:48:08 AM »
Total bust

Alex Call was drafted the same year as Kieboom, 58 spots later, by the White Sox.  Becoming clearer who the better pick was.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: April 06, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »
3B Carter Kieboom (Tommy John surgery)
Expected return: TBD
Kieboom is doing shoulder exercises and has resumed throwing to bases. He made 25 throws on April 5, according to manager Dave Martinez. Kieboom’s workload will increase gradually as he works his way back. (Last updated: April 6)
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-injuries-and-roster-moves

« Reply #21: April 09, 2023, 10:01:46 AM »
Nah. He sucks

Offline imref

« Reply #22: May 04, 2023, 11:08:23 PM »
2-3 tonight (both singles) for Harrisburg playing 3B.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #23: May 05, 2023, 02:35:40 AM »
2-3 tonight (both singles) for Harrisburg playing 3B.

If he looks good after a month of run in the minors then we might as well give him some big league time. 

Offline welch

« Reply #24: May 05, 2023, 08:46:16 AM »
Kieboom has always been a butcher at 3B. Nats have a good fielder now. Giving Kieboom time at third? It will be a step back in hopes that, maybe, Kieboom has finally learned to field. And then there is his hitting...