Author Topic: Nationals Prospect Reports / Minor League Rankings 2023  (Read 7364 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I think the ETAs for guys rated as having good tools are more or less based on "if everything goes right at the level he's assigned," and thus are inherently optimistic.  They don't expect guys to struggle much if they are rated as having MLB tools across the board like Hassell.  He did not put up great numbers in 45 PAs at Wilmington and 122 PAs in Harrisburg.  He's not going back to Wilmington (his week before the call up was fine, so they moved him), so if he shows he can handle AA over 3-4 months, I would not be too surprised by a straight call up after, say, Dickerson is dealt at the deadline. With his draft pedigree, he was a prospect SD pushed, and it seemed that he did well when he repeated A+ in 2022.   A more cautious approach with financial and roster benefits would be to try him at AAA at the end of 2023 and start him there for a couple months before a late May / early June call up in 2024.

As somebody right now slated to go to 25 games this year, I'm kind of hoping for the optimistic track.

I've bolded the two words that matter most as to whether the dude is tracking towards a 2023 call-up.  Guys who are fast movers don't generally repeat levels. 

I like Hassell.  I also don't think he is anywhere near a top-30 prospect.  He's not even the best lefty-hitting tall white HS CF/RF from Tennessee with a two-syllable surname in his draft class, despite being ranked first by the draft fetishists at MLB.com in that bizarrely narrow subgroup.