Author Topic: MLB Expansion  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MLB Expansion
« Topic Start: January 10, 2023, 08:11:11 AM »
It worked in terms of having reportedly about 2/3 of the seats in Olympic stadium available for one dollar Canadian during their heyday. Then when Bronfman the elder reportedly didn’t want to pay the rising payroll rates, things changed.

They still need to get a decent TV and Radio deal and get local business sponsors, which was the focus of the ongoing efforts to keep team even before Loria arrived on the scene. They also might need to find out if there’s a sizable enough population willing to pay MLB caliber prices for tickets, which has yet to be proven appears to tend towards the negative given their chance to buy a certain number of season tickets when they had a team and that reportedly not occurring.

Then again, with Manfred, who knows. Maybe he’ll think it’s the greatest idea ever. However, since he was in MLB IIRC when the Expos RICO case filed by the Québecois owners occurred, I don’t know that even he would be chomping at the bit roll the dice on that. We will have to see.
They did ok in little Parc Jarry attendance wise and then initial years in Olympic stadium when they had a good team.  I have to think most fans have converted over to the Blue Jays or even other teams and now would have to be won back. Wonder what their tv ratings are now for baseball? 

Nashville seems the most obvious choice to me. And then Charlotte and Vegas. Maybe Portland but they are just too weird.  Would be nice if they could move the Rays to Orlando.  Growing area.

https://news.orlando.org/blog/orlandos-fast-growth-in-a-category-all-its-own/