Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2023)  (Read 717 times)

Online 1995hoo

Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2023)
« Topic Start: January 01, 2023, 12:19:02 PM »
No substantive message, just starting the new thread and adding the link to the 2022 thread. We're going over to my mom's house for New Year's Day dinner and she’s cooking pork like she always does on January 1. Ms1995hoo is bringing scalloped potatoes with leeks per my mom’s request—we had them on Christmas dinner and Mom liked them so much that she asked us to make them again.

Past iterations of this thread (I’ll edit this next time I’m at my PC to turn those into links):

2009–12—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=16296.0
2013—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30248.0
2014—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30500.0
2015—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32185.0
2016—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33647.0
2017—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34849.0
2018—http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35999.0
2019—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=37189.0
2020—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38444.0
2021—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38951.0
2022—https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=39835.0

Online 1995hoo

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2023)
« Reply #1: January 11, 2023, 10:26:50 PM »
I ordered a medium-rare steak tonight. Don’t think I got it. Mooo.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: January 12, 2023, 08:10:42 AM »
I ordered a medium-rare steak tonight. Don’t think I got it. Mooo.

(Image removed from quote.)
my first look at that thing, I thought they had spread raspberry jam on the center.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: January 12, 2023, 02:32:02 PM »
You should try Village Tavern's chicken tartare!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: January 25, 2023, 01:22:39 PM »
Pickled red onions are outstanding, but I've never made them at home.  Might have to change that, now.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #6: February 04, 2023, 11:48:24 AM »
You should try Village Tavern's chicken tartare!

"When your dinner is a bird and you feel a big turd—diarrhea. Diarrhea."

Which also prompts me to cross-post this image someone posted on a UVA sports forum earlier this week:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: February 04, 2023, 03:47:45 PM »
"When your dinner is a bird and you feel a big turd—diarrhea. Diarrhea."

Which also prompts me to cross-post this image someone posted on a UVA sports forum earlier this week:

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice of them to include that with room and board. Priceless.  Did the men’s basketball team eat that last night before todays game?

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #8: March 18, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »
I was digging around in my home office trying to find something. I didn't find what I wanted (or, more accurately, I found that I don't have what I wanted), but I did find the following drink recipe instructions my late father sent me in 1994. These date back to his law school days (1968–71). My relatives all have fond memories of when my dad made these after my grandmother's funeral and got everyone severely drunk, but nobody had the recipe. My cousin asked me about it around a year ago and I said I knew I had it, but I couldn't find it, and she said, "I figured you may be the only person who had that information stored somewhere!!" So I found it today by accident and am sending it to her, and her comment about my being the only person to have the information is what prompts me to post it here. This probably sounds disgusting, but if you follow the instructions it will taste very good—too good, actually, as you can seriously mess yourself up drinking these. Note that, as I said, this recipe dates back over 50 years, so when my father says "real beer," he doesn't mean IPA or porter or any of the craft brews you see on the market today. He means mass-market ordinary beer like Heineken or Coors, and I assume back in his law school days he more likely used something like Stroh's. The last time I remember him making these, I think he used Heineken.

All parenthetical comments, and the misspelling of "crushed," are as my father wrote it 29 years ago. The name of the drink apparently comes from the nickname of a law school classmate of his.

STUDLY SOURS

1. One can frozen pink lemonade mix
2. Pour this into a blender
3. Fill same lemonade can with bourbon, blended american whiskey, or scotch (the second is best—Seagram’s 7 works fine, but Calvert is just as good. Do not use any very good whiskey: no Jack Daniels or Crown Royal or Glenlivet. Also do not use total smeck or you will taste it twice—on way down and then again on way up and neither time will be pleasant)
4. Fill same lemonade can 1/4 way with same as #3.
5. (Obviously both full and 1/4 lemonade can get poured into blender)
6. Fill lemonade can with beer: real beer, not junk light beer (drink maker gets to finish what is left in each can as he/she makes the studlies)
7. Pour in juice from a jar maraschino cherries (not all the juice, just enough so you know it went in—1/4 to 1/3 of juice in the jar)
8. Turn on blender: slowly at first because beer will fizz and, as this is all blending, add cruched ice or cubes if your blender will crush them.
9. Continue blending at various speeds until all ice is crushed and you have a smooth drink.
10. Pour into old fashioned glasses (a particular style glass, not just an old fart’s glass) filled with ice cubes and one or two maraschino cherries.
11. Try not to drink too many or you will throw up.

(Edited to fix a spelling error)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: March 18, 2023, 11:28:17 AM »
I was digging around in my home office trying to find something. I didn't find what I wanted (or, more accurately, I found that I don't have what I wanted), but I did find the following drink recipe instructions my late father sent me in 1994. These date back to his law school days (1968–71). My relatives all have fond memories of when my dad made these after my grandmother's funeral and got everyone severely drunk, but nobody had the recipe. My cousin asked me about it around a year ago and I said I knew I had it, but I couldn't find it, and she said, "I figured you may be the only person who had that information stored somewhere!!" So I found it today by accident and am sending it to her, and her comment about my being the only person to have the information is what prompts me to post it here. This probably sounds disgusting, but if you follow the instructions it will taste very good—too good, actually, as you can seriously mess yourself up drinking these. Note that, as I said, this recipe dates back over 50 years, so when my father says "real beer," he doesn't mean IPA or porter or any of the craft brews you see on the market today. He means mass-market ordinary beer like Heineken or Coors, and I assume back in his law school days he more likely used something like Stroh's. The last time I remember him making these, I think he used Heineken.

All parenthetical comments, and the misspelling of "crushed," are as my father wrote it 29 years ago. The name of the drink apparently comes from the nickname of a law school classmate of his.

that sounds lethal.  more whiskey than lemonade, plus as much beer as the lemonade. 

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #10: March 18, 2023, 11:44:17 AM »
that sounds lethal.  more whiskey than lemonade, plus as much beer as the lemonade. 

Well, I'll let my cousin Denise say it. This was the e-mail she sent me last year: "What was the drink your Dad made at Grandma's funeral.   The one that intoxicated everyone!!!"

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: March 18, 2023, 11:46:46 AM »
we used to drink something a tad similar in college, but we made it in bulk:
1. One can of frozen lemonade mix
2. One can of frozen limeade mix
3. Bottle of sprite or similar
4. Half gallon of vodka
5. 12 pack of beer

Mix well in a cooler, and enjoy.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #12: March 19, 2023, 07:38:46 PM »
And how does Moses make beer?  Hebrews it... :rimshot:   ;)

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #13: July 29, 2023, 08:36:41 AM »
Last night for our anniversary at my wife’s request we went to the Bazaar, the new José Andres restaurant at the Waldorf-Astoria DC (the former Trump hotel). Other than going to the top of the tower once in 2018 when relatives were in town (which doesn’t involve entering the hotel proper because you go through a passage under the hotel and then up an elevator that bypasses the hotel atrium), I hadn’t been in there since it was the Pavilion at the Old Post Office back in the 1990s.

Dinner was very good. Like his other restaurants, it’s a tapas theme. We both got the tasting menu and I got the wine pairings to go with it (Ms1995hoo can’t have alcohol right now). Several of the items we had reminded me of the sorts of things the late Michel Richard might have done, or Patrick O'Connell for that matter—interesting visual tricks with the food. One item in the first course, for example, was "José's Taco," which had the "tortilla" made of nori and the "fillings" were jamón Ibérico de bellota, Osetra caviar, and gold leaf. I even ate things I wouldn’t normally touch, like olives. The only thing that was a disappointment was the very last item, a beef plate on which the beef was just plain too heavily marbled (that is, fatty)—the amount of fat just made it too hard to chew and we wound up not finishing that one.

Otherwise, everything was very good, though overall I’d say it’s a restaurant for someone who’s willing to be adventurous. I’m not always that person, but when we go to a place run by one of these famous chefs (the Inn at Little Washington is, of course, the prime example), I eat things I don’t normally eat because I figure they’ll do a great job of it. We were discussing whether the Bazaar might be an option to consider for my mom's birthday later this year and we decided probably not because we don’t think she like the visual games and some of the stuff that goes into the food. If she takes us out to dinner, she tends to opt for the Palm or L'Auberge Chez François (although for my 50th birthday earlier this year, she and my wife took me to the Capital Grille instead, which I guess on the whole is comparable to the Palm).

Note there is no self-parking and the valet parking is $65 (and I assume they want a tip). Instead I dropped Ms1995hoo out front and then I drove around the block and self-parked at 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue (entrance on 10th facing the FBI); it was $12 and the only downside was that it had rained while we were at dinner, making the block and a half walk back to the car a bit of a steam bath.

(Edited to fix a punctuation error)

Offline imref

« Reply #14: July 29, 2023, 10:17:26 AM »
we've been to capital grille a number of times for special events and have never been disappointed. We were there around 3 hours last time and never felt rushed. It's hard to accept it's run by the same company that owns olive garden.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #15: December 19, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »
Dang, not a great year for this thread, apparently. :lol:

I made salmon for dinner and it reminded me of one of my favorite MathGuy memories: when the crazy old pisser insisted that he cooked his salmon at like 900 degrees for two hours and that it still came out perfectly.

Btw, I've been trying to eat healthier this year and at this point, if miso glazed salmon were to become a religion, I'd make it my life's goal to be one of its apostles.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: December 19, 2023, 10:39:04 AM »

I made salmon for dinner and it reminded me of one of my favorite MathGuy memories: when the crazy old pisser insisted that he cooked his salmon at like 900 degrees for two hours and that it still came out perfectly.

Btw, I've been trying to eat healthier this year and at this point, if miso glazed salmon were to become a religion, I'd make it my life's goal to be one of its apostles.
salmon is just such a great food source. I believe the new world order should be organized around maximizing wild salmon's sustainability and supplementing that with farmed stuff that's cleaner than the old just feed them in the pens and let them foul the water like a pig farm model.

I had a friend / fantasy baseball partner who is one of the leading fishery guys on the east coast. For the longest time, he convinced me to not eat farmed salmon due to the problems at farms in the aughts. I've lost touch with the guy, and I see some better things about some farming now (teaism uses farmed salmon, and they are a pretty green place). I end up with a lot of wild canned, but occasionally sneak some farmed salmon when I trust the sourcing.

Offline imref

« Reply #17: December 19, 2023, 10:45:27 AM »

ever try sous vide? A friend of mine swears by it for fish and most meats.

Offline imref

« Reply #18: December 19, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »
salmon is just such a great food source. I believe the new world order should be organized around maximizing wild salmon's sustainability and supplementing that with farmed stuff that's cleaner than the old just feed them in the pens and let them foul the water like a pig farm model.

I had a friend / fantasy baseball partner who is one of the leading fishery guys on the east coast. For the longest time, he convinced me to not eat farmed salmon due to the problems at farms in the aughts. I've lost touch with the guy, and I see some better things about some farming now (teaism uses farmed salmon, and they are a pretty green place). I end up with a lot of wild canned, but occasionally sneak some farmed salmon when I trust the sourcing.

A relative of mine is in the salmon industry in Alaska. He would kill me if I ate farmed salmon. :)

Unfortunately, that may the only option in the future. He says that global warming is killing (literally and figuratively) the wild salmon industry in that part of the world. As temps rise, the number of salmon are dwindling. They run a hatchery that is trying to rebuild populations but it's not having much success. In my one visit to Alaska I probably had more conversations with locals about salmon than any other topic. It's all anyone seemed to want to talk about.

This is a fairly recent article: https://alaskapublic.org/2023/09/26/too-hot-for-salmon-how-climate-change-is-contributing-to-the-yukon-salmon-collapse/

Offline blue911

« Reply #19: December 19, 2023, 10:52:15 AM »

We had one at work. I wasn’t overly impressed but it works like a champ for making mozzarella cheese or holding poached eggs at the proper temperature.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: December 19, 2023, 11:25:58 AM »
Going Seattle end of January.  Mmmm.  Salmon.  Mmmmm.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: December 19, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
Going Seattle end of January.  Mmmm.  Salmon.  Mmmmm.
dungeness crab is pretty darn good too.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #22: December 19, 2023, 12:05:43 PM »

I've read about those. Do you have to have a vacuum sealer device? We don't have one and I've wondered whether it would be feasible to use a ziplock-style bag or similar with all the air squeezed out.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #23: December 19, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
^Next time I'm up there, I'd really like to try the halibut cheeks at Pike's Market.

I would agree, to a point.  Have also been hearing about how small fish that you'd typically find in a can (sardines, certain anchovies) are at a good intersection of both sustainability and healthy eating.  I think if you rely on those, poultry, and legumes as major protein sources, you're probably at a much better place in terms of both continuing to support society's needs and public health.

Can't say I have.  From everything I've seen, I get the impression that it would only really appeal to me as a way of preparing beef, and maybe chicken breast, so it just wouldn't be worth the investment for me.

I would also be curious to try the poached eggs, as Blue alluded to, but lately my solution for the problem of consistency when poaching eggs has been "don't poach eggs."  Have transitioned to basting them, and it results in a similar enough product without nearly as much guesswork re: doneness.

Offline imref

« Reply #24: December 19, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
I've read about those. Do you have to have a vacuum sealer device? We don't have one and I've wondered whether it would be feasible to use a ziplock-style bag or similar with all the air squeezed out.
i haven't made the investment yet, but a friend who uses one for everything said to get the vacuum sealer. I'm concerned about plastic leaching into the food, he's not.