Author Topic: Most Liked and Disliked Teams  (Read 867 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: Most Liked and Disliked Teams
« Reply #25: December 22, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »
I'm finding it harder to hate the Orioles. I hate the ownership, but the team itself was fun to watch last year and they have a lot of young guys who are starting to make an impact. Rutschman appears to be the second coming of Buster Posey.  And I still like Camden Yards.

They’ve been the cause of one issue after another since their inception as far as the impact on this market, and are now negatively impacting the Nationals potentially in a way that is unprecedented as far as one franchise to another. Can’t see past that, especially as they directly impact a potential sale now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: December 22, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »
They’ve been the cause of one issue after another since their inception as far as the impact on this market, and are now negatively impacting the Nationals potentially in a way that is unprecedented as far as one franchise to another. Can’t see past that, especially as they directly impact a potential sale now.

Yeah, agreed. It's a shame given the park/team right now.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #27: December 22, 2022, 01:08:31 PM »
I'm finding it harder to hate the Orioles. I hate the ownership, but the team itself was fun to watch last year and they have a lot of young guys who are starting to make an impact. Rutschman appears to be the second coming of Buster Posey.  And I still like Camden Yards.

They do have a fun young team. I live just south of Baltimore so I get all the Orioles sports talk radio. Everybody in this area are Oriole fans. I wonder if the team was no longer owned by an Angelos and the Nats were free of them with MASN, I could become a fan of them again. Oriole Park is great and I just read their concessions are the lowest priced in sports. Hard to imagine being a fan of them again but it would be great to have a National and American league team to root for, especially since it would be easy to attend each teams games.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: December 22, 2022, 01:16:08 PM »
Gunnar is fun, too.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #29: December 23, 2022, 12:27:30 AM »
They do have a fun young team. I live just south of Baltimore so I get all the Orioles sports talk radio. Everybody in this area are Oriole fans. I wonder if the team was no longer owned by an Angelos and the Nats were free of them with MASN, I could become a fan of them again. Oriole Park is great and I just read their concessions are the lowest priced in sports. Hard to imagine being a fan of them again but it would be great to have a National and American league team to root for, especially since it would be easy to attend each teams games.

That was the whole thing, they could’ve chosen to market their AL offerings and gotten plenty of mileage out of focusing on their own team rather than lamenting losing the gift horse that was logical for them not to have forever when this growing area got a team back. They also could have marketed bigger throughout the state and up in the I-83 corridor, where people could even get the light rail at Hunt Valley and come down to games.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: December 23, 2022, 09:14:30 AM »
That was the whole thing, they could’ve chosen to market their AL offerings and gotten plenty of mileage out of focusing on their own team rather than lamenting losing the gift horse that was logical for them not to have forever when this growing area got a team back. They also could have marketed bigger throughout the state and up in the I-83 corridor, where people could even get the light rail at Hunt Valley and come down to games.
Angelos intentionally drive his team into the ground to prove himself right.  Brilliant.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: December 23, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
Angelos intentionally drive his team into the ground to prove himself right.  Brilliant.
tbh, they have a good GM.  Maybe better than ours. 

There's just no room for less than A graded work at the GM / team President level in either of the Eastern Divisions unless your team has money to burn. The richer teams general have at least B level (I think Cashman is at least a B), and then you have teams like TB and ATL that have managed to do some brilliant signings, drafting, and trades.  Mets, Phils, NYY have money to burn and act that way. Bosox have had front office turnover since 2011 (3 WS since 2007 with 3 different GMs), so the Bloom era is jury out.  If Ng ever figures out how to compete in Miami, then :bow:  AA has climbed the learning curve.  Rizzo I think is a B level guy, unless the Soto trade is all hits on the players acquired.  I think 2019 was both an end of the run and a throw money at it team, with the exception of Soto.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: December 23, 2022, 12:14:01 PM »

They seem to be headed in a better direction once the old man was out of the way.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #33: December 23, 2022, 12:37:46 PM »
They seem to be headed in a better direction once the old man was out of the way.

They did what the Nats couldn't do and drafted well. They've built a good team through the minors. They've forgotten the last step though. Once your young talent is ready to win you need to step up to the plate and fill the holes with free agent talent to get over the top. I was listening to Baltimore talk radio this morning and they mentioned to O's won 83 games last year and have done nothing to get to 90 wins next year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #34: December 23, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »

There's just no room for less than A graded work at the GM / team President level in either of the Eastern Divisions unless your team has money to burn. The richer teams general have at least B level (I think Cashman is at least a B), and then you have teams like TB and ATL that have managed to do some brilliant signings, drafting, and trades.  Mets, Phils, NYY have money to burn and act that way. Bosox have had front office turnover since 2011 (3 WS since 2007 with 3 different GMs), so the Bloom era is jury out.  If Ng ever figures out how to compete in Miami, then :bow:  AA has climbed the learning curve.  Rizzo I think is a B level guy, unless the Soto trade is all hits on the players acquired.  I think 2019 was both an end of the run and a throw money at it team, with the exception of Soto.

And their GM is a DC-area native (Fairfax County).