Author Topic: Most Liked and Disliked Teams  (Read 868 times)

Online Senatorswin

Most Liked and Disliked Teams
« Topic Start: December 19, 2022, 11:16:19 PM »
When Terry McLaurin was asked about the penalty that cancelled the touchdown at the end of the Commanders game last night he explained the ref motioned he was lined up okay but then threw the flag when the ball was snapped. Then he said bottom line though he shouldn't of let it be a question. When Curtis Samuael was asked about the no pass interference call in the end zone he said the ball was thrown to him and he should of caught it. It would of been pretty tough with the defender draped all over him but he didn't mention that.

So that got me thinking about MLB teams that were both likable and not so much.

The 2019 Nats team was very easy to like. Geraldo Parra made things fun. Howie Kendrick was always easy to root for and the thing Hendricks and Eaton did after home runs was fun. A young Soto with his antics at the plate and enthusiasm when he got the big hit in the wildcard. And how could you not like and respect Zimm.

The Orioles with Murray, Ripken and Lowenstein were likeable.

Everybody liked the loveable Cubs of yesteryear.

Teams not liked. The 2017 Astros top the list. The World Series Winning Oakland A's teams of 1972, 73 and 74 weren't liked much. According to a 2021 twitter study that was by number of US states the Dodgers were hated the most in 9 states. The Yankees were second, hated the most in 8 states.

Just a thought.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Most Liked and Disliked Teams
« Reply #1: December 20, 2022, 08:04:57 AM »
Cardinals seem easy to hate for anyone who didn't grow up in a cornfield.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #2: December 20, 2022, 12:51:05 PM »
I saw an article today that said what I was thinking but didn't know if I should go there. That call on McLaren Monday night smells of corruption. With the explosion of gambling going on when something like happens a person has to wonder. In the video it looks like McLaren asks the ref if he was lined up okay (he later verified this). The ref seems to signal he's okay. While the ball is being snapped the ref reaches for his flag. An article this morning says this is a very bad look for the NFL.

It's not just the NFL. For years sports tried to stay away from gambling for this very reason. Whether there were shenanigans in this situation or not, with the tons of gambling going around, it's not a stretch to think one of the many NFL and NBA refs and MLB umpires might want to get a piece of the huge pie the players are getting. It already happened in the NBA. Calls like this will, and should be, questioned as far as legitimate. Pro sports wants to reap the benefits of gambling they'll have to suffer the consequences also.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #3: December 20, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »
I saw an article today that said what I was thinking but didn't know if I should go there. That call on McLaren Monday night smells of corruption. With the explosion of gambling going on when something like happens a person has to wonder. In the video it looks like McLaren asks the ref if he was lined up okay (he later verified this). The ref seems to signal he's okay. While the ball is being snapped the ref reaches for his flag. An article this morning says this is a very bad look for the NFL.

It's not just the NFL. For years sports tried to stay away from gambling for this very reason. Whether there were shenanigans in this situation or not, with the tons of gambling going around, it's not a stretch to think one of the many NFL and NBA refs and MLB umpires might want to get a piece of the huge pie the players are getting. It already happened in the NBA. Calls like this will, and should be, questioned as far as legitimate. Pro sports wants to reap the benefits of gambling they'll have to suffer the consequences also.

Or perhaps they’ll just destroy the evidence/indemnify the perps and conduct their own version of a “oops, mistakes were made, we good?” presentation that their handpicked water carriers (many of whom are employed by their networks) run.

And once that happens in multiple leagues with hardly any consequences for the perps or the leagues as far as monopolistic exemptions, they can continue to run that out as a template going forward. I know it’s hard to conceive that that could happen, but you never know.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #4: December 20, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »
Or perhaps they’ll just destroy the evidence/indemnify the perps and conduct their own version of a “oops, mistakes were made, we good?” presentation that their handpicked water carriers (many of whom are employed by their networks) run.

And once that happens in multiple leagues with hardly any consequences for the perps or the leagues as far as monopolistic exemptions, they can continue to run that out as a template going forward. I know it’s hard to conceive that that could happen, but you never know.

Totally agree. If a major sport came out and said a major event was fixed by a ref who wanted to make a big killing where does the sport go from there? Every questionable call at a critical time would be suspect. The article referenced that when a pool reporter asked the question after the game to the refs they just say anything to bypass the issue. Major sports leagues are raking in huge dollars because of the interest betting creates. It wouldn't surprise me if major sports look the other way when they suspect something and eventually quietly take care of it.

Here's the article:

https://news.yahoo.com/penalty-terry-mclaurin-very-bad-214928232.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: December 20, 2022, 03:33:20 PM »
The Yankees have always been pretty hateable.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #6: December 20, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »
The Yankees have always been pretty hateable.

I think I heard years ago the Yankees are the most liked AND the most hated team in sports.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #7: December 20, 2022, 03:40:41 PM »
When DC didn't have a team I would live and die with the Orioles. Now DC has a team and after Angelos tried to block that and the MASN situation I want them to lose more than any other team.

Offline catocony

« Reply #8: December 21, 2022, 11:07:24 AM »
The Yankees are very polarizing.  You either really like them or you hate them, with very little in between.  They're the only MLB team like that IHMO. 

Personally, I go into every April with two wishes - the Nats do well (and before the Nats, the Orioles, who I no longer care for at all) and the Yankees to not win the World Series. 

Offline imref

« Reply #9: December 21, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »
I'm going to hope the Mets don't even make the playoffs next year.

Offline catocony

« Reply #10: December 21, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »
Spending half a billion (including tax) and not making the playoffs would be a very Mets thing to have happen.

Offline imref

« Reply #11: December 21, 2022, 11:45:30 AM »
Spending half a billion (including tax) and not making the playoffs would be a very Mets thing to have happen.

Losing to the Giants in the playoffs would be even better.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: December 21, 2022, 12:03:03 PM »
Losing to the Giants in the playoffs would be even better.
Seems like the only teams that did not make the playoffs last year and have a chance in 2023 are the Brewers, Giants and maybe the Cubs. And maybe AZ. Several teams not ready to compete again.  Nats. Marlins. Pirates. Colorado.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #13: December 21, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »
With streaming I'll be spending a lot of time this coming season watching Phillies and Mets games rooting against them. Sometimes it's as much fun to root against teams than it is to root for teams. Since it's not the year of the Nats, I'll hope ideally the Marlins would win the east but since that's going to happen either, it'll have to be the Braves who I don't really mind.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: December 21, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »

It reminds me of Snyder’s Fortune .500 Redskins team

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #15: December 21, 2022, 12:47:55 PM »
 :P

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #16: December 21, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »

Too bad the team has had such a free spending owner only for him to be an incompetent jerk who insists on being central to personnel decisions. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #17: December 21, 2022, 01:50:25 PM »
With streaming I'll be spending a lot of time this coming season watching Phillies and Mets games rooting against them. Sometimes it's as much fun to root against teams than it is to root for teams. Since it's not the year of the Nats, I'll hope ideally the Marlins would win the east but since that's going to happen either, it'll have to be the Braves who I don't really mind.
I still like Bryce and Trea so I can't hate on the Phillies but I do enjoy seeing the Metsies fail so I am on board with turning on their games in hopes they do something epically stupid every night :mg:

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #18: December 21, 2022, 11:45:05 PM »
When DC didn't have a team I would live and die with the Orioles. Now DC has a team and after Angelos tried to block that and the MASN situation I want them to lose more than any other team.

I take this back. Number 1 team I want to lose is Phillies. Number 2-Mets. Number 3-Orioles.

I would like to see the Tigers do something. Not likely though.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #19: December 22, 2022, 05:40:20 AM »
Mets signing Correa bumps them to the top of the list

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #20: December 22, 2022, 08:02:40 AM »
There are obviously teams that I hate for no good reason other than that they are traditional rivals and/or division competitors of my favorite teams. I will put those to the side and focus on teams I like/dislike due to reasons unrelated to that.

I am a rare bird in that despite having not ties to the New York area, I find the Red Sox and their fanbase more hateable than the Yankees and their fan base. To me the Yankees are pretty honest and transparent about who they are: they're the most successful team in MLB history, they have a ton of money, and they're willing to spend it. They own that identity. In contrast, the Red Sox do literally the exact same thing (and are the most successful MLB team of the 21st century) but for many years were celebrated in the press and in pop culture as loveable underdogs. That annoys me.

The Cardinals fanbase is terrible and full of itself - the team itself is pretty admirable. If I owned an MLB team I would seek to hire veterans of the Cardinals front office for scouting and player development roles. But I hope to never speak with a Cardinals fan about baseball ever again.

Speaking of front offices I admire, how about those Tampa Bay Rays. They do incredible things on a shoestring budget. And apparently the front office people there are just as underpaid as the players, so if you are say an owner or GM of a team that underperforms in drafting or player development, you could probably hire a bunch of those people! Beating their current salary won't be hard! But I digress.

When I was growing up in Chicago, the MLB team I had a soft spot for was the Montreal Expos. I just thought it was so exotic that there was a team in the French-speaking part of Canada, playing in a goofy stadium with a goofy name with French play-by-play guys using goofy French baseball terminology like "roulant" for a ground ball. I was fascinated by the very existence of the Expos. I had no idea that one day both myself and the Expos would end up moving to the same place.

You know what's a team that most people never thought about until a few years ago? The San Diego Padres. You either never thought about the Padres, or you had mild warm feelings about them because of Tony Gwynn being so darn likable. Recently, Padres fans have managed to erase pretty much all the good will that Tony Gwynn earned that franchise.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: December 22, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
I despise the Braves but you have to admire their front office and the organization they have built. 

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #22: December 22, 2022, 09:59:28 AM »
I used to like the Red Sox. I rooted for them in the "67" world series with Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Lonborg, Rico Petrocelli, Geore Scott, Reggie Smith and company. I rooted for them in "75" with the emergence of Fred Lynn and Jim Rice. I loved Fenway. But I got tired of their whining. Bill Buckner, Bucky Fing Dent. Just stop. I particularly didn't like what they did to Buckner who had a fine career but now is remembered for one play.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: December 22, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
I take this back. Number 1 team I want to lose is Phillies. Number 2-Mets. Number 3-Orioles.

I would like to see the Tigers do something. Not likely though.
somehow, the Barves are getting off soft on the hatred.  Truth is, I like Strider and Harris, and Acuna is fun to watch.

I despise the Braves but you have to admire their front office and the organization they have built. 
think alike on this.

Offline imref

« Reply #24: December 22, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
I'm finding it harder to hate the Orioles. I hate the ownership, but the team itself was fun to watch last year and they have a lot of young guys who are starting to make an impact. Rutschman appears to be the second coming of Buster Posey.  And I still like Camden Yards.