Author Topic: 2023 MLB Draft  (Read 21105 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: 2023 MLB Draft
« Reply #50: March 02, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
They have literally never done this and yet you keep posting it

The team has never been for sale before. They’ve never fielded a roster this devoid of talent either.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #51: March 02, 2023, 07:22:54 PM »
The team has never been for sale before. They’ve never fielded a roster this devoid of talent either.

Last sentence isn't true.  2008 was way worse.  That team's best pitcher was John Lannan by a country mile, and they only had one usable reliever. Other than Zimmerman and Nick Johnson (who got hurt as usual), that team had absolutely nothing on offense, and the D was horrendous.   Watching that team made me sick and angry that I even liked baseball.

This one has enough pitching and D to at least keep it hanging around non-Corbin games.  There's also talent, albeit not yet fully ready.  They'll probably lose 95 games, but it probably won't be as hopeless as the 2008 daily beatdowns.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: March 02, 2023, 07:27:23 PM »
Psh, Lannan had an ERA under 4 in 2008

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #53: March 02, 2023, 07:56:38 PM »
Last sentence isn't true.  2008 was way worse.  That team's best pitcher was John Lannan by a country mile, and they only had one usable reliever. Other than Zimmerman and Nick Johnson (who got hurt as usual), that team had absolutely nothing on offense, and the D was horrendous.   Watching that team made me sick and angry that I even liked baseball.

This one has enough pitching and D to at least keep it hanging around non-Corbin games.  There's also talent, albeit not yet fully ready.  They'll probably lose 95 games, but it probably won't be as hopeless as the 2008 daily beatdowns.

Who do you expect this season’s best pitcher to be? Zimmerman and Johnson were both better than anyone playing this year

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #54: March 02, 2023, 08:04:48 PM »
Who do you expect this season’s best pitcher to be? Zimmerman and Johnson were both better than anyone playing this year

Don't know, but this roster won't be as massively top-heavy as that one.  This team has a few guys likely to be 2 WAR-ish, league average players even among the young guys.  And it has enough starters and bullpen guys who are at least approximately MLB quality that you won't see 22 starts from Jason Bergmann or 57 innings from Luis Ayala's corpse.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: March 02, 2023, 08:09:43 PM »
Don't know, but this roster won't be as massively top-heavy as that one.  This team has a few guys likely to be 2 WAR-ish, league average players even among the young guys.  And it has enough starters and bullpen guys who are at least approximately MLB quality that you won't see 22 starts from Jason Bergmann or 57 innings from Luis Ayala's corpse.

In 2008, Dukes and Harris both got to 2 war in addition to Zimmerman. This roster has two guys projected to get there

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #56: March 02, 2023, 08:11:11 PM »
In 2008, Dukes and Harris both got to 2 war in addition to Zimmerman. This roster has two guys projected to get there

And I doubt either Dukes or Harris were projected to get there then.  Every roster has booms and busts.  Variance is just a thing in baseball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #57: March 02, 2023, 08:26:26 PM »
As for who is this year's Lannan, Williams is probably a better pitcher, and there's a legit chance at least one of the 3 young guys will be better than him.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: March 02, 2023, 08:40:35 PM »
As for who is this year's Lannan, Williams is probably a better pitcher, and there's a legit chance at least one of the 3 young guys will be better than him.
Williams ERA last year was 3.21. But his career is about a run over that. I spect his 2023 ERA to be over 4.00. Which is fine as long as he is not terrible and can pitch some innings. That might be a bit of a question mark also as he has pitched about 90 innings the past two seasons. Hasn’t done major innings since he was with the Pirates.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #59: March 02, 2023, 09:02:57 PM »
Is there though

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: March 02, 2023, 09:05:03 PM »
Lannan was a #5 starter thrust into the #1 spot. Maybe Corbin fits that bill though it’s a stretch to say the Corbin is a 5.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #61: March 02, 2023, 09:09:05 PM »
Lannan was a #5 starter thrust into the #1 spot. Maybe Corbin fits that bill though it’s a stretch to say the Corbin is a 5.

Lannan was better than people give him credit for.  He pitched like he was 38 when he was 26, but he was a legitimate MLB starter and not a fringe guy.  He was easily a 3 or 4 or results.

Online imref

« Reply #63: March 03, 2023, 12:22:45 AM »
Jacob Gonzalez:
.441 AVG
.676 SLG%
.558 OB%
2HR
14 RBI
6 BB
2 2B

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64: March 03, 2023, 07:49:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/peterappel23/status/1631498687204474880?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ
perfect game said coming out of high school that he played some third base.  Are any of the outfielders potential 2d or 3rd baseman?  That adds a heck of a lot of value. 

this article from U of Florida suggests he was shifted to the OF due to a glut at 3rd and catcher, then came from bench obscurity to dominance after bulking up to 225. IF you can play 3rd, you can probably play 2nd.
https://www.gatorsports.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2023/02/16/wyatt-langford-rockets-from-scrub-to-slugger-for-florida-gators-baseball/69909716007/

Online imref

« Reply #65: March 03, 2023, 09:08:27 AM »
Keith law’s new top five:
1. Langford
2. Crews
3. Gonzales
4. Taylor
5. Dollander

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #66: March 03, 2023, 12:35:01 PM »
He has Jenkins and nimmala above clark which is wild compared to all other rankings I’ve seen.  Law does his own thing with these though.  His final 2022 rankings were very different than others I had seen

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #67: March 03, 2023, 12:58:53 PM »
Keith law’s new top five:
1. Langford
2. Crews
3. Gonzales
4. Taylor
5. Dollander

I’ll probably be the conductor of the Langford train by the end of this. I’m very much in favor of he or Crews at 2 depending on who’s available. I know that we appear most stocked at OF in our system, but Langford/Crews give you appreciably more certitude in that dept AND they’re the type of face of the franchise players that you need to add at the top of a draft. The payoff for last season’s miserable year has to be a high level contributor for the better part of a decade at least. With the new lottery rules, you have to marry upside with floor imo, and those two are the best combination of that in this draft imo.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #68: March 03, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »
Heavens almighty.  Half these dudes will be injured, committed to Vanderbilt, or arrested by 3 months from now.  Half the rest will have flopped themselves into the sixth round. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: March 03, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
Literally none of them are commiting to Vanderbilt

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: March 03, 2023, 03:21:31 PM »
Literally none of them are commiting to Vanderbilt
You may be taking the post a bit literally.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #71: March 03, 2023, 03:29:56 PM »
Not trying to be disrespectful at all, but what’s the purpose of people on here repeatedly jumping into the ‘MLB Draft 2023’ thread to criticize discussion of MLB Draft prospects? It’s happened multiple times on here and it’s a little odd to me. If anyone thinks that the discussions are too premature, why not simply ignore the thread until a more appropriate time? It’s what I do when a topic doesn’t interest me on this site, I funnel my attention toward the subjects that I enjoy engaging with. People constantly policing this discussion is odd to me, especially when these type of discussions are being had by every fanbase with a decent pick in the upcoming draft on various sites and on social media, and the major scouting sites are all having spirited discussions about the draft now as well.

Everyone on here understands the qualifiers that are attached to prospect evals at this point in the cycle, we know that these things are subject to change.

Online imref

« Reply #72: March 03, 2023, 03:48:05 PM »
Not trying to be disrespectful at all, but what’s the purpose of people on here repeatedly jumping into the ‘MLB Draft 2023’ thread to criticize discussion of MLB Draft prospects? It’s happened multiple times on here and it’s a little odd to me. If anyone thinks that the discussions are too premature, why not simply ignore the thread until a more appropriate time? It’s what I do when a topic doesn’t interest me on this site, I funnel my attention toward the subjects that I enjoy engaging with. People constantly policing this discussion is odd to me, especially when these type of discussions are being had by every fanbase with a decent pick in the upcoming draft on various sites and on social media, and the major scouting sites are all having spirited discussions about the draft now as well.

Everyone on here understands the qualifiers that are attached to prospect evals at this point in the cycle, we know that these things are subject to change.

you're new here, right? :). People jump into every thread to criticize everything.

Speaking of that, anyone see MDS on line lately?

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #73: March 03, 2023, 04:07:38 PM »
you're new here, right? :). People jump into every thread to criticize everything.

Been here since 2011 iirc although I don’t actually post a ton. Just noticed the dynamic of people being like ‘hey man, stop talking about the draft’ in an actual draft thread lol

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74: March 03, 2023, 04:10:54 PM »

looks like he's taken a month off. 

As for being negative about prospect discussion, I agree with DVOwns main point - an occasional post of caution about a particular prospect is appropriate, but a general (and repeated) post saying "it's premature to talk about prospects" or "why bother talking about prospects" really doesn't add anything.  It's not something I'm going to remove or discipline, but if it disrupts the thread by becoming a significant chunk of the posts, I'll need to clean things up with removals, breakouts, maybe warnings and mutings.  I don't want to do that.  I like to keep a light hand if I can.