Author Topic: 2023 MLB Draft  (Read 21100 times)

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
Re: 2023 MLB Draft
« Reply #250: June 01, 2023, 04:10:34 PM »
From the KLaw chat today:

aholla: If Stephen Strasburg was coming out of San Diego State this year, would he be a unanimous lock to go No. 1 overall or would there be some arguing for a hitter given rising concerns about pitcher durability?

Keith Law: Paul Skenes is, in effect, Stephen Strasburg in this draft. And Skenes isn’t a lock to go 1.

--

G: Recent buzz has Max Clark as an option for the Pirates at 1st overall. I know the top-5 in this class is very strong, but would passing on Crews/Skenes/Langford be a Bryan Bullington level error on the Pirates part?

Keith Law: I think that’s been the buzz all spring – if they wanted to go HS, he’d be the choice. And in some drafts he’d be 1-1. It doesn’t hurt that he plays about 20 minutes from Pittsburgh’s AAA affiliate, so any exec in town to see their prospects can just pop over and see him too. I think the risk they run if they take Clark is that a year from now Crews and Skenes are in the big leagues and Clark is in A-ball, even maybe doing well there, but they’ve missed a chance to get someone who gets there almost right away.

--

Some other good Nats stuff in there as well like:

Optimistic Nats Fan: One analyst I read said he did not see more than one above-average MLB player out of MacKenzie Gore, Josiah Gray, Keibert Ruiz,  CJ Abrams, James Wood, Brady House, Elijah Green, Jarlin Susana, or Rober Hassell.

Agree or disagree?

Keith Law: I disagree. A lot.

--

Optimistic Nats Fan: Scouting the statline: Carter Keiboom and Brady House have similar numbers in A-ball. How are they different?

Keith Law: House destroys baseballs.

https://meadowparty.com/blog/2023/06/01/keiths-50th-birthday-klawchat/