Author Topic: 2023 MLB Draft  (Read 21540 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2023 MLB Draft
« Reply #200: May 14, 2023, 01:49:06 PM »
Cole Henry could always be a thing too.
Sure. And Strasburg could come back

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #201: May 14, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
Sure. And Strasburg could come back

I mean if we're counting Rutledge.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #202: May 14, 2023, 11:24:42 PM »
“That's about as good as I've seen," Mississippi State head coach Chris Lemonis said during the game. "I've done this a long time, and it's 99 to 100 with three pitches. We're scrapping, we're fighting, we're trying to get on. We're trying to get in some plus counts so we can at least get on the fastball, but it's been really good tonight."

https://www.mlb.com/news/lsu-paul-skenes-strikes-out-13-mississippi-state

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #203: May 14, 2023, 11:40:46 PM »
“That's about as good as I've seen," Mississippi State head coach Chris Lemonis said during the game. "I've done this a long time, and it's 99 to 100 with three pitches. We're scrapping, we're fighting, we're trying to get on. We're trying to get in some plus counts so we can at least get on the fastball, but it's been really good tonight."

https://www.mlb.com/news/lsu-paul-skenes-strikes-out-13-mississippi-state
Pirates fans are going to enjoy him. After the TJ surgery anyway.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #204: May 15, 2023, 07:55:19 AM »
Pirates fans are going to enjoy him. After the TJ surgery anyway.

The only way the Pirates do t go for Crewes is if they decide to play poor. I think this year they go with the best player available regardless of the amount of money required to sign him, mostly because they've been pretty good this season and want to maybe be done tanking. The other reason is that Crewes is the better prospect and plays everyday. Us hyping ourselves up for Skenes is because Nats are picking 2nd. The wisdom has always been if you have two equal talents available, take the one who plays everyday. The only way Crewes goes 2nd to Skenes is if he stops hitting like 3 months ago. He hasn't, he's going number 1.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #205: May 15, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »

The only way the Pirates do t go for Crewes is if they decide to play poor. I think this year they go with the best player available regardless of the amount of money required to sign him, mostly because they've been pretty good this season and want to maybe be done tanking. The other reason is that Crewes is the better prospect and plays everyday. Us hyping ourselves up for Skenes is because Nats are picking 2nd. The wisdom has always been if you have two equal talents available, take the one who plays everyday. The only way Crewes goes 2nd to Skenes is if he stops hitting like 3 months ago. He hasn't, he's going number 1.

Whispers *It’s actually quite debatable if Crews is the best player*

He’s undoubtedly the safest prospect, that still has quite a high ceiling, but if you could turn injuries off, I’m certain Skenes would be the number one pick this year. Skenes has had the more rare season by some distance AND when you factor in how awful LSU’s rotation has been outside of Skenes, he’s been exponentially more valuable to LSU than Crews has been even while only posting every fifth or sixth day.

Think about it this way, who was more important to our championship run, Stras or Rendon? Who was the better player? I’d argue that Stras was on both accounts.

Also, Langford probably has more upside than Crews even amongst the regulars. The additional power potential/more dynamic running probably means that if Langford hits his ceiling, he’s a more valuable player than Crews at their peaks.

Still think that Crews goes number one because of the longer track record of production and the general safeness of going bat over pitcher, but there’s absolutely a world in which Crews isn’t the most impactful player drafted in the top three in a retrospective five or six years down the road.

To wit:

https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1658139382715498496?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #206: May 17, 2023, 12:36:39 PM »
Skenes won his 7th player of the week award last week (along with teammate Tommy White).

Offline blue911

« Reply #207: May 17, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »
Skenes won his 7th player of the week award last week (along with teammate Tommy White).

He won Tommy White?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #208: May 17, 2023, 01:00:29 PM »
Saw a report that the nats really like Walker jenking and are scouting him heavily.  Granted, we’re probably scouting all the top 8 guys heavily, but still

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #209: May 17, 2023, 01:04:33 PM »
Saw a report that the nats really like Walker jenking and are scouting him heavily.  Granted, we’re probably scouting all the top 8 guys heavily, but still

seems like the top 5 are all can't-miss this year (though it's likely a few of them will miss). Jenkins is considered the best high school prospect but the mocks have him going in the 4-8 range.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #210: May 17, 2023, 02:04:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1658797411806969856?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Jenkins might have the highest ceiling of all the bats projected to land in the top 5. He’s going to be a monster in his physical prime. A Jenkins selection increases the likelihood that the Nats have a top 3 OF in the majors at some point in the next four years with the upside that they’re the best in the sport fullstop. A Green/Jenkins/Woods outfield would look like the Monstars from Space Jam after they snatched the NBA star powers. Green would likely have to be functional at CF to make that a reality, but it’s still humorous to picture.

I’ll reiterate my position for posterity though, I’d prefer any of the bats slated to go top 5 over a pitcher, even one as ballyhooed and talented as Skenes given the structure of the lottery rules now. I’m all for removing negative variables with this selection, and injury risk is obviously one of the most significant variables in existence.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #211: May 17, 2023, 02:07:06 PM »

Here’s the mock that generated the report btw

“This is where things immediately get a little interesting and off the public rails. The Nationals have reportedly been scouting Jenkins extremely hard. While that could just mean due diligence, maybe it means more?

Because General Manager Mike Rizzo has a track record of landing big-conference pitching, Skenes makes a ton of sense here. And Langford is usually the public selection. But the Nationals do love Jenkins and it’s hard not to. The reviews on his game and his personality couldn’t be brighter.

It feels like this pick could go in four or five different directions come draft day. For the time being, we’re going to spice things up and bit and follow the bread crumbs. Jenkins it is.”

https://twitter.com/joedoylemilb/status/1658686876172296196?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #212: May 17, 2023, 03:48:07 PM »
Jenkins is awesome and been following him, but don't know how you don't go Crews/Skenes in this draft.

Offline blue911

« Reply #213: May 17, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
I so want them to draft Leeroy Jenkins

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #214: May 17, 2023, 05:19:47 PM »
It would be such a Mike Rizzo move to pivot off of the obvious top 3 guys in the draft and go off the board with a freaking high schooler like a freaking idiot. Another feather in the cap of the SCOUTING GENIUS who can't draft a major leaguer unless it's first overall.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #215: May 18, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1659152340836859906?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Langford’s walking him down tbh*

*In terms of on field performance.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #216: May 18, 2023, 12:17:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1659152340836859906?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Langford’s walking him down tbh*

*In terms of on field performance.

So Crews is no longer the obvious first pick? The Nats will choose whichever one of three starry prospects the Pirates skip?

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #217: May 18, 2023, 12:45:11 PM »
So Crews is no longer the obvious first pick? The Nats will choose whichever one of three starry prospects the Pirates skip?

He's still the favorite to go 1-1 I'd bet based on his sustained track record of performance, slightly better chance of staying in center and marketability (which matters more on the margins, but it still does matter some I think). But KLaw and a few others were on it earlier this season that Langford was arguably the better overall player with the slightly louder tools (better power and more speed).

Again, it shouldn't surprise anyone if Langford ended up the slightly better player in the long run given what we know, and that's not a knock on Crews. Still an awesome prospect, but there are also other terrific prospects at the top of the draft and in terms of talent, Crews doesn't actually outstrip a few of them by very much (or at all in some instances).

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #218: May 18, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline RD

« Reply #219: May 18, 2023, 04:45:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/hotstoveintel/status/1658993725379428352?s=46&t=oSZZ19ZwBF_rT0m8DVdy_Q

Account is followed by a lot of baseball insiders

I seriously doubt Jenkins is in the bigs less than a year after being drafted.

Offline welch

« Reply #220: May 18, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »
High school kid straight to majors? Not many have done it. Our most famous bonus-baby, Harmon Killebrew, signed at 17 and sat on the Nats' bench for two seasons. That was the bonus rule. He did not make it until he was 23, and even then, the team did not have time and patience to teach him to field.

So that rocket-progress seems unlikely.

Offline welch

« Reply #222: May 19, 2023, 01:34:51 PM »
Someone else predicting Skenes to Nats. Assumes Crews to the Pirates. Jenkins third, Langford fifth.

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-mlb-2023-mock-draft?t=mlb-draft-coverage.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #223: May 19, 2023, 03:43:55 PM »
It would be such a Mike Rizzo move to pivot off of the obvious top 3 guys in the draft and go off the board with a freaking high schooler like a freaking idiot. Another feather in the cap of the SCOUTING GENIUS who can't draft a major leaguer unless it's first overall.

It wouldn't be a Mike Rizzo move because he never does this? He usually takes the obvious pick or BPA when drafting high, even setting aside Strasburg and Harper. Using "expert" draft boards:

With Rendon, we were drafting 6th and Rendon was the 6th remaining of a clear Top 6.

In 2021 drafting 11th, he went BPA with Brady House. BPA at that time was Khalil Watson and House. In hindsight there were some other studs but all boards had Watson and House as top 10 picks and IIRC were listed as top 7/8 picks in most mocks. So he took one of the obvious picks that fell to him. 

In 2022 drafting 5th, everyone was like "UGH It's going to be so Rizzo when he takes Parada!" Instead,  he went with Green and high upside / BPA. He and Brooks Lee were the BPA available at that point and both part of a clear top 5. I was really high on Lee, but can't fault him for taking Green at all.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #224: May 19, 2023, 03:46:07 PM »
It wouldn't be a Mike Rizzo move because he never does this? He usually takes the obvious pick or BPA when drafting high, even setting aside Strasburg and Harper. Using "expert" draft boards:

With Rendon, we were drafting 6th and Rendon was the 6th remaining of a clear Top 6.

In 2021 drafting 11th, he went BPA with Brady House. BPA at that time was Khalil Watson and House. In hindsight there were some other studs but all boards had Watson and House as top 10 picks and IIRC were listed as top 7/8 picks in most mocks. So he took one of the obvious picks that fell to him. 

In 2022 drafting 5th, everyone was like "UGH It's going to be so Rizzo when he takes Parada!" Instead,  he went with Green and high upside / BPA. He and Brooks Lee were the BPA available at that point. I was really high on Lee, but can't fault him for taking Green at all.

just let me have my mike rizzo hate