0 (0%)
Giants
0 (0%)
Cardinals
0 (0%)
Other
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Who Does Trea Turner Sign With?  (Read 1812 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Who Does Trea Turner Sign With?
« Reply #50: December 06, 2022, 02:29:18 PM »

I think it's going to take compromise (again) on both sides. Players union will never want to give a max length of contracts, but maybe they could take 6 year max contracts with 8 year contract lengths for home grown players ONLY if the league gets rid of the Luxury Tax Threshold.

As far as the Nats are concerned, it's a cacophony of errors. While signing Corbin was probably the real straw that stirred the drink to put the team over the edge is 2019, his falloff has been Jordan Zimmermann with the Tigers levels of bad. That deal only happened because they let Harper walk. Giving Strasburg that contract was always a head scratcher, but him getting MORE hurt than normal was something that also sealed the fate of the team. Finally, as so many others have said, it's the non-existent player development that was dirt that buried the coffin. Look back to 2021 and the pivot made before the deadline and add in what we know now. Rizzo wasn't going to get any more money. Ownership has now bailed out. They got the illustrious crown jewel in 2019 and tied the purse strings shut.

As Kevrock said, time to clean house. Thanks for 2019, now kindly GTFO.

i do think Rizzo has done a nice job retooling. The team is well positioned for the next 3-5 years assuming the Padres haul lives up to the hype, Cavalli is at least a #2 starter, Brady House is still alive, and Elijah Green comes up quickly through the system.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #51: December 06, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »
i do think Rizzo has done a nice job retooling. The team is well positioned for the next 3-5 years assuming the Padres haul lives up to the hype, Cavalli is at least a #2 starter, Brady House is still alive, and Elijah Green comes up quickly through the system.

The issue is will these players develop as they should? A lot of that is rolled into the Nats development system and if the front office can overhaul that system into one that works. Names are just names. I don't care what a prospect gets ranked, it's about results at each level.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: December 06, 2022, 04:35:46 PM »
Barry out here regurgitating the same crap we've all seen for two years to the mouth breathers that would rather have Trea Turner be a Nat for line than win a title.
well, can't argue with his point that, since 2011 and the Rendon draft choice, the highlight of our draft is Fedde in terms of production here. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: December 08, 2022, 04:50:48 PM »

Lock it up

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #54: December 08, 2022, 05:09:21 PM »
Dave Dombrowski is considered a good GM and literally all he ever does at every stop is

a) sign big free agents
b) trade prospects for good players
c) leave when the check comes due

Mike Rizzo's future, IMO.

Online Slateman

« Reply #55: December 08, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
Dave Dombrowski is considered a good GM and literally all he ever does at every stop is

a) sign big free agents
b) trade prospects for good players
c) leave when the check comes due

Mike Rizzo's future, IMO.
You forgot the part where he gets to a World Series

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: December 08, 2022, 07:31:12 PM »
And sometimes wins it. Miami and Boston. The Phillies hired him because they had signed Harper and needed to go all in. He is also trying to build the Phillies system which has been a disaster.

Offline blue911

« Reply #57: December 09, 2022, 06:30:19 AM »

And brings excitement to the game.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #58: January 15, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
The Nats should of gotten more for Turner and Scherzer in that trade.

This feels like a bit of hindsight bias. At the time Ruiz and Gray were the #1 and #2 Dodgers prospects, who as an org were a top-5 farm system. People expected both players to be future stars at the time of the trade.

If in 3 years Abrams never learns a better approach at the plate, Hassell never develops any power, and Gore never recovers to his pre-injury self, will we be saying we should have gotten more for Soto?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: January 15, 2023, 08:32:50 AM »
This feels like a bit of hindsight bias. At the time Ruiz and Gray were the #1 and #2 Dodgers prospects, who as an org were a top-5 farm system. People expected both players to be future stars at the time of the trade.

If in 3 years Abrams never learns a better approach at the plate, Hassell never develops any power, and Gore never recovers to his pre-injury self, will we be saying we should have gotten more for Soto?
Yes.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: January 15, 2023, 08:50:33 AM »
Yes.

Yep, whiffing of those trades is the difference between a rebuild and years of sucking

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #61: January 15, 2023, 09:05:24 AM »
Yep, whiffing of those trades is the difference between a rebuild and years of sucking

Right, but it's impossible to know for sure which prospects will pan out so "grading" trades must be done with that kept in mind. What was their expected value at the time of the trade, not what it is years later.

But also this is why trading stars for prospects is usually the wrong decision.

Online Slateman

« Reply #62: January 15, 2023, 09:48:16 AM »

I said from Day 1 I hated the Soto return. Gore and Abrams scream bust to me, and there is no way Susana's arm holds up.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #63: January 15, 2023, 10:31:21 AM »
I said from Day 1 I hated the Soto return. Gore and Abrams scream bust to me, and there is no way Susana's arm holds up.

Would you have preferred they'd gotten different players for Soto or not traded him at all?

Online Slateman

« Reply #64: January 15, 2023, 10:42:56 AM »
Would you have preferred they'd gotten different players for Soto or not traded him at all?
Different.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: January 15, 2023, 10:58:37 AM »
W/r/t Trea, I think less return for trading just Scherzer, re-signing Trea, and keeping Soto may have been the way to go. With a core of Soto and Trea, I think the Nats could have augmented the core and not hard tank like they did. Cubs I think are rebuilding without a hard tank.

Online imref

« Reply #66: January 15, 2023, 12:42:27 PM »
W/r/t Trea, I think less return for trading just Scherzer, re-signing Trea, and keeping Soto may have been the way to go. With a core of Soto and Trea, I think the Nats could have augmented the core and not hard tank like they did. Cubs I think are rebuilding without a hard tank.

that would be what, about $100 million tied up in four players?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: January 15, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
Different.
Not sure about the Cards package they were offered but a couple of the guys discussed are already ok MLB players in addition to having some upside.  Think I would have gone for all everyday players and hope you can sign some pitchers later on. Big risk with young arms.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #68: January 15, 2023, 01:22:02 PM »
Not sure about the Cards package they were offered but a couple of the guys discussed are already ok MLB players in addition to having some upside.  Think I would have gone for all everyday players and hope you can sign some pitchers later on. Big risk with young arms.

And I still think the given the mega deals that people were willing to hand out this off-season, waiting until the off-season when all sorts of teams looking to improve themselves and could’ve gotten into the bidding was the way to go if they were going to go ahead with insisting on a trade.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #69: January 15, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »

Cubs will be interesting to follow as they started their rebuild exactly when we did.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: January 15, 2023, 04:08:35 PM »
that would be what, about $100 million tied up in four players?
for a couple of years, but Corbin will pass like a kidney stone.  Admittedly, at the time of the trade, it was 3.5 years.  And Soto would need to be signed when Corbin left.  But we'd have House and Green, plus Cavalli and Henry, so it's not like there'd be nothing on the way, plus we would have had some return on Scherzer.

Online Slateman

« Reply #71: January 15, 2023, 04:45:27 PM »
for a couple of years, but Corbin will pass like a kidney stone.  Admittedly, at the time of the trade, it was 3.5 years.  And Soto would need to be signed when Corbin left.  But we'd have House and Green, plus Cavalli and Henry, so it's not like there'd be nothing on the way, plus we would have had some return on Scherzer.
Cavalli is the only one that even remotely seems like an MLB player.

Henry may never pitch again.

House somehow hurt his back so bad he missed the entire season.

Green is all or nothing. He may be amazing. He might also have a 40% K rate in Double A.

Online imref

« Reply #72: January 15, 2023, 04:48:23 PM »

Would have guaranteed mediocrity without luxury tax space imho.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: January 15, 2023, 05:35:14 PM »
Would have guaranteed mediocrity without luxury tax space imho.
Hopefully the Nats can reach mediocrity in a few years.

Online imref

« Reply #74: January 15, 2023, 06:12:35 PM »
Hopefully the Nats can reach mediocrity in a few years.

i'm still optimistic this team is competing for a division title in 2025.