Author Topic: 2022 World Cup GDT  (Read 6757 times)

Offline blue911

Re: 2022 World Cup GDT
« Reply #350: December 12, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »
This winter, Dave may finally say, "Finally, a useful purpose for my fur." Not much use in Qatar for the warm layer.

I'm guessing Dave would give Larry a decent scrap, although Larry's a tough one.

Lazy Larry tough?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #351: December 12, 2022, 08:05:44 PM »
EN posted Larry chasing off some big animals.  Cujo, BoJo, something like that

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #352: December 13, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
Could be Argentina’s year. They have near 100% inflation there now. Does that mean if they win they get two Cups?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #353: December 13, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »
Could be Argentina’s year. They have near 100% inflation there now. Does that mean if they win they get two Cups?

just one big one, that they will have to deflate at some point.

Glad to see Messi getting a shot at winning.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #354: December 14, 2022, 04:06:14 AM »
Thanks to the 'Cheats - sorry - Hand-Of-God', and the Falklands War, the whole of the UK will be right behind France or Morocco... ;)

Just think of them as the 'Argentina Astros...'

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #355: December 14, 2022, 08:29:52 AM »
Thanks to the 'Cheats - sorry - Hand-Of-God', and the Falklands War, the whole of the UK will be right behind France or Morocco... ;)

Man you English hold a grudge. And you already punished them by taking the Malvinas!  :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #356: December 14, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »

eh,  with the Chunnel, isn't a good chunk of Pas De Calais just a London suburb now?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #357: December 14, 2022, 05:07:56 PM »
Man you English hold a grudge. And you already punished them by taking the Malvinas!  :hysterical:

I can't put it any better that the late, great Sir Bobby Robson - 'he (Maradona) calls it the 'Hand Of God'. I call it the Hand Of A Rascal. And I'm right....'

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #358: December 14, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
eh,  with the Chunnel, isn't a good chunk of Pas De Calais just a London suburb now?

That was always something of a romantized view of what EU freedom of movement, and the tunnel would bring. The reality of travel time, different time zones, French residence requirements, et al, mean that it is just impracticable - even more so , now we aren't an EU country. It might have happened, if Mitterand had got his way, and we had the Channel Bridge, instead - he famously said that he wanted to be able to drive from Paris,to the UK, in the same way he would to any other European country. Thatcher only wanted to save money, and so we ended up with the lowest cost option - a rail shuttle tunnel. What might have been.... ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #359: December 14, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »
France show their class, and defeat Morocco to reach the Final. Allez Les Bleus!!!... ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #360: December 14, 2022, 05:21:38 PM »
Interesting observation, from the UK booth crew, during the game - what is that something there's been about this whole WC? They concluded that 'far, far too many games have been played to an audience, rather than a crowd, with too many people coming to spectate, rather than support...'

Sounds about right.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #361: December 14, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »
At least we don’t have to listen to Stuart Holden next game say “…but France has yet to have a clean sheet…l.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #362: December 15, 2022, 05:43:49 PM »
Harry Kane is still the best. That hurts.

On jargon, I refuse to say or even think "1v1" when we all know "one-on-one". Or "pitch" when we know it's a "field". Any other jargon that is perfectly fine from a British announcer but that makes no sense from an American speaking to Americans?

Brits, and the American "soccer snobs," call a uniform a "kit." They also refer to the schedule as the "fixtures." The use of "table" instead of "standings" is less annoying because the standings are indeed displayed as a table, although the use of "table" by itself is odd when you’re in the US because we don’t use that word that way.

Brits also refer to the players' shoes as "boots," the starting lineup as the "starting XI" (which really makes no sense at all), a shutout as a "clean sheet," and an ejection as being "sent off." They refer to the two teams as "sides."

The American media have adopted the annoying European style of listing the home team (not the "home side," thank you very much) first, which is confusing when you’re looking at a score ticker showing multiple sports (such as at the top of ESPN.com) and your just supposed to know that the soccer scores are listed in the wrong order as compared to everything else they display.

I will never call a game a "match." A "match" is what you have in tennis and it consists of multiple "games" divided into "sets." You also have "match play" in golf where the score is by hole, not by total number of strokes taken. But two soccer teams meet in a game, not a "match."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #363: December 15, 2022, 07:13:29 PM »
We inherited "match" from Old Chelsea in our wins to date during the season. We welcome OC to go back and change it if he posts next season.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #364: December 16, 2022, 04:00:05 AM »
So. we're looking forward to the final fixture of the WC. Both sides finished top of their table, so it should be close - a clean sheet is unlikely. Neither manager has named their starting-eleven, nor do we know which team will wear their home kit. With all the sponsorship deals, we can expect to see a selection of boots being worn, with studs suited to the pitch. Argentina are notorious for getting opposition players sent-off, so we'll have to watch out for that.

Can't wait... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #365: December 16, 2022, 07:56:59 AM »
So. we're looking forward to the final fixture of the WC. Both sides finished top of their table, so it should be close - a clean sheet is unlikely. Neither manager has named their starting-eleven, nor do we know which team will wear their home kit. With all the sponsorship deals, we can expect to see a selection of boots being worn, with studs suited to the pitch. Argentina are notorious for getting opposition players sent-off, so we'll have to watch out for that.

Can't wait... ;)
Touché.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #366: December 16, 2022, 08:43:01 AM »
As far as kits go, with dark blue for France and a lighter blue and white striped for Argentina, would FIFA let them both where their primary colors, or would the visitor be forced into alternates?  It'd seem that the jerseys would be distinguishable enough, and they are so identified with those kits that it would be better for television.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #367: December 16, 2022, 09:50:07 AM »
As far as kits go, with dark blue for France and a lighter blue and white striped for Argentina, would FIFA let them both where their primary colors, or would the visitor be forced into alternates?  It'd seem that the jerseys would be distinguishable enough, and they are so identified with those kits that it would be better for television.
France will wear the home kits with the dark blue. Argentina will wear white shorts as visitor rather than the black shorts. But will still wear the albiceleste top. Light blue and white vertical stripes. Which is good because that is the only one I have.

https://amp.footyheadlines.com/1593777158586713502/

Edit. Argentina is the home squad but chose to wear their white shorts.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #368: December 16, 2022, 10:51:54 AM »
We inherited "match" from Old Chelsea in our wins to date during the season. We welcome OC to go back and change it if he posts next season.

As long as nobody emulates OC's misuse of "draught" to refer to the player selection process, or the act of conscription, properly spelled "draft" even in British English!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #369: December 16, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »
As long as nobody emulates OC's misuse of "draught" to refer to the player selection process, or the act of conscription, properly spelled "draft" even in British English!
perhaps his affinity for beer?

Offline English Natsie

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #371: December 16, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »
Table didn't confuse me because I'm used to league tables from working as a corporate lawyer. I also got used to British soldiers calling their gear "kit" when I was deployed with them. Most of the rest just sound off to me like other weird British English terms like jumper for sweater and trainers for sneakers, and I'm sure our terms sound off to Brits.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #372: December 16, 2022, 07:32:57 PM »
I promise not to call a submarine sandwich a sbucky.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #373: December 16, 2022, 09:37:45 PM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #374: December 17, 2022, 04:52:28 AM »
We are one people, divided by a common language...

My only surprize is issue being taken with 'starting-eleven' - due to substitutions, the players change during the game, but there will still be eleven on the field, at the end. And the NFL uses 'starting' all the time...Not quite sure what other expression would describe it so succinctly?...

Anyway, here's some favorite US soccerisms, that generally aren't heard elsewhere... 'In the six',  'on frame', 'winningest', 'apex-restarts', 'upper-90', 'transfers and completes', 'riding pine,' 'goaltender', 'corner-markers'...

And how could we forget, from 2013, the BBC News website describing baseball as 'cricket for Americans'.... :shock:   :hysterical: