Author Topic: 2022 World Cup GDT  (Read 6397 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: 2022 World Cup GDT
« Reply #25: November 17, 2022, 11:55:29 AM »
The danish one was aired.

Eventually. But it shouldn't have been stopped in the first place...(an edict has now gone out, telling the security police to 'respect foreign reporters'...like they should need to be reminded...)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #26: November 17, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »
of course, you know that we got the term "soccer" from England.  Soccer is from the Football Association, which led to the term "asoccer," which was further shortened to "soccer."  Football was originally any sport with the players on foot.  Rugby Football Union was football, too.  The term "soccer" was common in England, perhaps not prevalent, up until the mid-20th century.  It's largely the non-English world that went straight to "futbol," probably because rugby didn't catch on, and the English gradually conformed.  The linked article says "soccer" was popular in England in the 1950s due to the presence of GIs but fell out of favor by the 1980s in part due to objection to US influence. 

https://time.com/5335799/soccer-word-origin-england/

I'd be curious if articles around 1966 used the term "soccer."   TBH, I knew some English camp counselors who played in the early 1970s (one played second division) and they never used the term soccer.  I recall talking to one of them when he asked for the "football" field and I steered him to a small field at camp we called the football field rather than the bigger soccer field.

More links:
https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-2783,00.html

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

Edit - Britannica says that soccer is more common in countries where other types of football are common, such as Gaelic Football, Aussie Football, Canadian (gridiron) Football, and of course the US.

You've no doubt guessed that, being England, class raises its head - which the etymology books don't often mention. Rugby was developed at Rugby School (fee-paying), and for its life as an amateur game (until the mid 1990's) it was the game of the upper classes and middle class graduate professionals, who looked down upon the 'plebs' (workers) game of football. They called their game 'rugger', and so came up with 'soccer' (as it was alliterative) to differentiate the games. Of course, none of this was lost on the 'plebs', who therefore shunned any use of 'soccer' beacuse of its disparaging overtones for their game. So football it stayed, now generally shortened to 'footy'...

Of course, FIFA themselves call the game 'football'... ;)

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #27: November 17, 2022, 01:44:40 PM »
You've no doubt guessed that, being England, class raises its head - which the etymology books don't often mention. Rugby was developed at Rugby School (fee-paying), and for its life as an amateur game (until the mid 1990's) it was the game of the upper classes and middle class graduate professionals, who looked down upon the 'plebs' (workers) game of football. They called their game 'rugger', and so came up with 'soccer' (as it was alliterative) to differentiate the games. Of course, none of this was lost on the 'plebs', who therefore shunned any use of 'soccer' beacuse of its disparaging overtones for their game. So football it stayed, now generally shortened to 'footy'...

Of course, FIFA themselves call the game 'football'... ;)
The class issue seems to arise a lot on panel shows like Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 Cats, though it sometimes there comes across as a bunch of middle class comedians trying to act working class.

And, technically, FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association, so they call the game "association football", so we are kind of back to where we started.

And apparently Australians call all three forms of football (AFL, association and rugby) "footy". Though I think I first heard the term "footy" when Muggleborn Dean Thomas tried to explain the sport to Quidditch-obsessed Purebloods (as an aside, I think JKR deliberately made Quidditch over-the-top ridiculous because she was annoyed by obsessive sports fans she dated trying to explain the nuances of their particular fandom to her and why she should be just as obsessed as they were).

In Deutschland heißt es "Fußball", whence we get the name of our foosball table game.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #28: November 17, 2022, 04:24:15 PM »
I realize the USA is unlikely to ever compete with large countries like Brazil or Argentina (or even France) where soccer is the #1 sport and almost every gifted athlete is guided into soccer as their main sport. It pains me to see the USA ranked behind smaller countries like Belgium or Ecuador. Even if we assume that only a relatively small percentage of the American population enjoys soccer, that subpopulation should be comparable in size to places like Belgium or Ecuador. To me, USA's inability to beat teams like that internationally speaks to mismanagement of our pool of potential star soccer players, not to cultural preferences about which sports to play.

Not sure what more the US can do. Given its starting point, MLS has come on in leaps and bounds, since the mid 1990's. The majority of Team USA already play in the major Euro leagues (including the Premier League), with all associated coaching. Belgium isn't entirely a good comparison - they're currently enjoying a 'golden-generation', but they are now aging. Prior to now, Belgium hadn't achieved much since the 1980's...

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #29: November 18, 2022, 04:42:25 AM »
Excellent article on Wales and the WC, for the interested (it's quite a long read...).  For the uninitiated, 'Cymru' (Wales, in the Welsh language) is pronounced 'cum-ree'... ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63506860

Online blue911

« Reply #30: November 18, 2022, 01:04:47 PM »
Excellent article on Wales and the WC, for the interested (it's quite a long read...).  For the uninitiated, 'Cymru' (Wales, in the Welsh language) is pronounced 'cum-ree'... ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63506860

I didn’t think the welsh language had vowels.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: November 18, 2022, 01:30:47 PM »
how would you spell "Mwynglawdd" without a vowel?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: November 18, 2022, 01:36:59 PM »
They actually have more vowels.

https://www.felinfach.com/pages/welsh-alphabet-welsh-vowels

Online blue911

« Reply #33: November 18, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: November 18, 2022, 06:27:05 PM »
Qatar banning beer sales at the stadiums.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #35: November 19, 2022, 04:54:14 AM »
Qatar banning beer sales at the stadiums.

'They think it's all sober - it is now!!!'... :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #36: November 19, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »
The fan village sounds like a complete crapshow - someone characterised it as "Fyre 2.0"  :clown:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: November 19, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »
The fan village sounds like a complete crapshow - someone characterised it as "Fyre 2.0"  :clown:
But you can drink there. So lots of brawls.

• babble on
« Reply #38: November 19, 2022, 04:22:37 PM »
Qataris are some of the most notorious night club drunks when they hit London - payback

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #39: November 19, 2022, 05:46:35 PM »

If you don't mind $15.00 a pint....

From all accounts, the real concern is the almost complete lack of shaded areas - they probably hope that if it's too hot to move, then that'll quell any trouble.

Infantino's next lecture - 'Putin - not a bad bloke, really...'  :roll: ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: November 20, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »
Beat down of the home team.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: November 20, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #42: November 21, 2022, 07:06:05 AM »
Teams for England v Iran (08:00 ET)

England - Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Shaw, Saka, Kane, Sterling

Axis Of Evil - Beiranvand, Moharrami, Hajsafi, Mohammadi, Jahanbakhsh, Pouraliganji, Taremi, Cheshmi, Karimi,Hosseini, Nourollahi

To be honest, if we can't beat them then we might as well come home... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: November 21, 2022, 07:35:01 AM »
I’m sure the Iran players are all fine chaps but they are difficult to root for at any time. And especially now.

• babble on
« Reply #44: November 21, 2022, 08:37:56 AM »
Several of the Iranians play in Qatar - home field disadvantage?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #45: November 21, 2022, 09:46:47 AM »
Enjoying the England fans singing 'JIngle Bells'... :lol:

Even if you don't major on soccer, try to catch the Welsh fans singing their national anthem - 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau / Land Of My Fathers' - always good... ;)

• babble on
« Reply #46: November 21, 2022, 10:05:31 AM »
Huh, I thought that was a Welsh song about leeks

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: November 21, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
Looked like Iran was the team out drinking last night. 

• babble on
« Reply #48: November 21, 2022, 10:26:13 AM »
It's a shame that Mane is out but I think that Senegal will still give the clogs a hard time.  Senegal upset defending WC champs France in the first group game in 2002

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: November 21, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »
Every time I see Netherlands I think of Cruyff and the Orange Clockwork team and a Sports Illustrated cover on them in the 1970s. Didn’t pay attention then so have no idea what they won but thought the orange uniforms looked cool.