Author Topic: Seth Romero released after many incidents  (Read 1084 times)

Offline catocony

Seth Romero released after many incidents
« Topic Start: November 14, 2022, 06:48:36 PM »
Finally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/14/seth-romero-released-nationals-dwi/

The Washington Nationals on Monday released Seth Romero, according to a team spokeswoman, after the left-hander was arrested for driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance Sunday in Sweeny, Tex. It was Romero’s second DWI arrest of the year, with the first occurring in January.

Romero, 26, was a first-round draft pick by the Nationals in 2017. Since he joined the organization, he was sent home from spring training for violating club policy in 2018; debuted in the major leagues as a reliever in 2020; dealt with a host of injuries and received another chance after his DWI charge last winter. Romero has made just three major league appearances, posting a 13.50 ERA in 2⅔ innings, and finished last season with Class AA Harrisburg.

He was released on bond Sunday, according to online jail records for the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office. Romero’s possession charge was classified in “Penalty Group 2,” meaning he was found with between 4 and 400 grams of a substance not specified by the jail records.

Attempts to reach Romero for comment Monday were not successful. According to a person familiar with the situation, the Nationals referred Romero to MLB’s Joint Treatment Board, a group that includes medical professionals specializing in substance abuse as well as representatives from MLB and the players union.

The Nationals drafted Romero 25th overall despite a handful of off-the-field issues at the University of Houston. During his sophomore year there, he was suspended for what the school described as “conduct detrimental to the team.” The Houston Chronicle later reported the suspension was largely tied to a “lack of effort regarding conditioning.” Then as a junior, Romero was suspended again, this time for nearly a month because of a “violation of team rules” on a trip to play the University of Central Florida.

The Houston Chronicle reported the second suspension was partly tied to Romero testing positive for marijuana. About a week later, he was dismissed from the team, which the Chronicle reported was because of a fight with another player.

In August, Nationals Manager Dave Martinez was asked how many opportunities Romero would get with the organization following his first DWI charge. Martinez focused his answer on Romero’s ability to chart his path.

“For me, honestly, that’s up to Seth Romero,” he said. “He’s very talented, and he’s had some issues and we’ve talked to him about them. At this point, it’s up to him. He can definitely help us [down] the road. But he’s got to do the right things. As you know, I don’t tolerate a whole lot of things off the field. He’s got to do the right things off the field as well as perform on the field. Only time will tell.

“He’s still fairly young, which is good. It all just depends on how Seth wants to move forward.”

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Seth Romero released after many incidents
« Reply #1: November 14, 2022, 07:05:14 PM »
Third time's a charm I guess

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: November 14, 2022, 07:09:59 PM »
He makes Jayson Werth look like Alfred Pennyworth. :hammer:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #3: November 14, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
In a sense I do feel bad for the dude.  He's an addict.  Addiction sucks. 

It's been very clear what he needed to do for quite a while and he couldn't do it.  That sucks for a lot of people, most of all him.  The prospect of a Major League Baseball career is a pretty powerful lure to get your crap straightened out, and if he couldn't do that, the rest of the road probably ain't too pretty. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: November 14, 2022, 09:04:50 PM »
Easily the worst draft pick in team history.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: November 14, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
They rolled the dice on a guy they knew has these issues and lost.

Online Slateman

« Reply #6: November 14, 2022, 09:55:41 PM »
They rolled the dice on a guy they knew has these issues and lost.
Thats pretty much the Rizzo 1st Round Special

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: November 14, 2022, 10:00:18 PM »
In a sense I do feel bad for the dude.  He's an addict.  Addiction sucks. 

It's been very clear what he needed to do for quite a while and he couldn't do it.  That sucks for a lot of people, most of all him.  The prospect of a Major League Baseball career is a pretty powerful lure to get your crap straightened out, and if he couldn't do that, the rest of the road probably ain't too pretty. 
yes.  I kind of hope this is the rock bottom moment, he resolves to be and is capable of being sober, and that a few years down the line he's a feel good story. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: November 14, 2022, 10:18:55 PM »
Thats pretty much the Rizzo 1st Round Special
Not aware that they have taken anyone else with drug and alcohol problems. Now bad arms. That’s another story.

Online Slateman

« Reply #9: November 14, 2022, 10:22:56 PM »
Not aware that they have taken anyone else with drug and alcohol problems. Now bad arms. That’s another story.

High risk, high reward

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: November 14, 2022, 11:08:13 PM »
That wasn’t a very good draft class. Gore went third that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Major_League_Baseball_draft

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: November 14, 2022, 11:17:14 PM »
That wasn’t a very good draft class. Gore went third that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Major_League_Baseball_draft
The team had been drafting in the last part of the first round for a while. Need to see how the recent picks to as a fair judgment. Not many teams draft consistently well from that’ll hose positions other than the Dodgers. Which is why teams tank.

Giolito and to a lesser degree Dunning have been fine. They also signed and developed Juan Soto. It’s tough to stay on top. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: November 15, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »
The team had been drafting in the last part of the first round for a while. Need to see how the recent picks to as a fair judgment. Not many teams draft consistently well from that’ll hose positions other than the Dodgers. Which is why teams tank.

Giolito and to a lesser degree Dunning have been fine. They also signed and developed Juan Soto. It’s tough to stay on top. 
Except we didnt develop Giolito and Dunning. In fact, we had to include Dunning because we had basically ruined Giolito's development.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: November 15, 2022, 07:33:49 AM »
Except we didnt develop Giolito and Dunning. In fact, we had to include Dunning because we had basically ruined Giolito's development.
He was not good this year. Did the White Sox undevelop him in 2022? Did they call in the Nats undevelopment staff for advice? Giolito and Dunning were decent draft picks who have been contributors in MLB. We are critiquing Rizzo’s draft. Stay on point. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: November 15, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »

harris was a 3rd round pick, Strider a 4th, ...  I'm tired of judging drafts just on the first round and excusing teams because they drafted late.  But, on the bright side, we won't even have that excuse for several years.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: November 15, 2022, 11:15:56 AM »
harris was a 3rd round pick, Strider a 4th, ...  I'm tired of judging drafts just on the first round and excusing teams because they drafted late.  But, on the bright side, we won't even have that excuse for several years.
You are correct.  Team has not found good talent after the first round? How much is drafting versus development? I would say mostly drafting since there are few instances of players failing with the Nats and then becoming good players on other teams. Giolito does not fall in that category for me. Voth will of he continues as he did in 2022. Finding a generational talent in Soto seems more luck than anything else.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: November 15, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
Finding a generational talent in Soto seems more luck than anything else.
I don't attribute anything they get out of the Dominican Republic or the Carribean to luck.  They have one outstanding part of the organization still, which is DiPuglia.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: November 15, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »
I don't attribute anything they get out of the Dominican Republic or the Carribean to luck.  They have one outstanding part of the organization still, which is DiPuglia.
So promote him then. What happened with Victor?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: November 15, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »
Seth Romero is actually one of Rizzo's best draft successes in recent memory considering he at least made the majors. Almost every Rizzo draft pick fails before AA so Romero is a major W.

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: November 15, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
The rest of Rizzo's draft picks arent much better.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: November 15, 2022, 01:17:52 PM »
Seth Romero is actually one of Rizzo's best draft successes in recent memory considering he at least made the majors. Almost every Rizzo draft pick fails before AA so Romero is a major W.
We’ll always have those two innings he pitched.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #21: November 16, 2022, 11:05:08 AM »
This thread makes me uncomfortable. It was time for him to be removed from the organization, but I struggle to call someone with addiction issues an "jerk."

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #22: November 16, 2022, 11:47:23 AM »
This thread makes me uncomfortable. It was time for him to be removed from the organization, but I struggle to call someone with addiction issues an "jerk."

Me too, to a certain degree, which is why I posted what I did.  But someone who has an alcohol problem is an addict; someone who repeatedly drives drunk is an jerk. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #23: November 16, 2022, 11:54:43 AM »
Quite so - even those who attend number retirement ceremonies.
Me too, to a certain degree, which is why I posted what I did.  But someone who has an alcohol problem is an addict; someone who repeatedly drives drunk is an jerk. 

Online Mattionals

« Reply #24: November 16, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »

This right here. Addiction is terrible, but putting others in danger makes you an jerk. I've had one close call where a presumably sober jerk nearly t-boned my car as I backed out of my driveway. He had plenty of time to stop (and did) but that could have been really dangerous for my daughter who was in the back seat of the Volvo (in her car seat of course) in direct line of the F550 barreling towards her.