Author Topic: NCAA Basketball 2022-23  (Read 5682 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: NCAA Basketball 2022-23
« Reply #25: February 23, 2023, 09:54:25 AM »
got to be a men's game, otherwise you would have said Alabama is taking SC to overtime.

yeah, it was Men's. 'Bama wins by 2. They have a guy who appears to be the second coming of Kevin Durant. Freshman named Brandon Miller who scored 41 of Alabama's 76 points.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #26: February 23, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »
You would have fired Coach K after his first three years. Losing record. Need to give guys a chance. Thankless job. Gene Bartow and Joe B Hall say hello.

Duke and UNC handed the keys to their blue blood programs to alumni hires with 0 qualifications to do the job. Coach K was a legit good coach before Duke. Scheyer was a player who carried water bottles for Coach K and is now running a program that can't even be good in a dogcrap basketball conference (which the ACC now is).

Duke and UNC had the money to hire literally anyone they wanted probably and instead did Roy a solid and hired his buddy and let Coach K hand the program off to a kid who would kiss the ring as much as possible. They'll both continue to recruit crazy good players so their floor is high and they can always make a run but imagine being content to "give a coach time" when you're Duke and you just spent 30 years being a top 3 program in the country. That kind of thinking is what led to Mark Turgeon getting 11 years because he was a nice guy (to the media) and blamed everything on the fans.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: February 23, 2023, 10:20:14 AM »
yeah, it was Men's. 'Bama wins by 2. They have a guy who appears to be the second coming of Kevin Durant. Freshman named Brandon Miller who scored 41 of Alabama's 76 points.

Brandon Miller, who just delivered the murder weapon to a teammate a few weeks ago and got defended by his coach and AD for it. Absolutely incredible that he is still playing college basketball.

He was drunk, got in a car, drove a loaded weapon to a teammate, handed it off to him, told him it was loaded, and then stood there as his teammate killed a woman in cold blood. And he's still playing!

Offline imref

« Reply #28: February 23, 2023, 10:26:17 AM »
Brandon Miller, who just delivered the murder weapon to a teammate a few weeks ago and got defended by his coach and AD for it. Absolutely incredible that he is still playing college basketball.

He was drunk, got in a car, drove a loaded weapon to a teammate, handed it off to him, told him it was loaded, and then stood there as his teammate killed a woman in cold blood. And he's still playing!

wow, i hadn't heard that. yeah, going to be a short career.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: February 23, 2023, 10:50:25 AM »
when they root for him, do the 'Bama fans yell, "Let's go, Brandon"?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #30: February 23, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »
wow, i hadn't heard that. yeah, going to be a short career.

Nope. His coach and AD have publicly defended him and Tuscaloosa PD has said they won't charge him with anything (likely a deal for him to be the witness).

The NBA will totally ignore it and he will go top 5. He will make millions of dollars while openly aided in the murder of a young woman. CBB media has already moved on. CBS will run an interview with him about how he overcame adversity. Nate Oates, who turned out to be a major POS, will continue to be rich beyond all dreams.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: February 23, 2023, 10:59:08 AM »
Isn't the trigger guy on the murder a DMV kid, or am I thinking of another CBB murder at an SEC school?

Offline imref

« Reply #32: February 23, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
Nope. His coach and AD have publicly defended him and Tuscaloosa PD has said they won't charge him with anything (likely a deal for him to be the witness).

The NBA will totally ignore it and he will go top 5. He will make millions of dollars while openly aided in the murder of a young woman. CBB media has already moved on. CBS will run an interview with him about how he overcame adversity. Nate Oates, who turned out to be a major POS, will continue to be rich beyond all dreams.

i read a couple of the news stories. The reports are that Miller was asked by Miles to bring Miles' gun to him for self-defense, and since the gun was legal he didn't do anything wrong. It would be difficult to prove that he knew that Miles was going to use the gun to shoot someone, or give the gun to someone else to do the shooting as is being reported here.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/darius-miles-texted-brandon-miller-to-bring-gun-used-to-kill-jamea-jonae-harris-police-testify.html

Online Five Banners

« Reply #33: February 23, 2023, 12:19:13 PM »
i read a couple of the news stories. The reports are that Miller was asked by Miles to bring Miles' gun to him for self-defense, and since the gun was legal he didn't do anything wrong. It would be difficult to prove that he knew that Miles was going to use the gun to shoot someone, or give the gun to someone else to do the shooting as is being reported here.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/darius-miles-texted-brandon-miller-to-bring-gun-used-to-kill-jamea-jonae-harris-police-testify.html

“Alabama coach Nate Oats said Tuesday that Miller is “not in any trouble” as a result of his alleged involvement. “We knew about that. Can’t control everything everybody does outside of practice. Nobody knew that was going to happen. College kids are out, Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time,” Oats said.”

Pathetic

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: February 23, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
Makes me wonder what is the purpose of background checks when purchasing guns is if you can just “loan” anyone?  Do other states have similar laws? 

It is pretty pathetic the school position. 

Offline imref

« Reply #35: February 23, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
Makes me wonder what is the purpose of background checks when purchasing guns is if you can just “loan” anyone?  Do other states have similar laws? 

It is pretty pathetic the school position. 

As of January of this year, Alabama has what is known as "constitutional carry", meaning any eligible gun owner can carry a concealed firearm on themselves or in their vehicle without any restrictions. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: February 23, 2023, 01:03:17 PM »
As of January of this year, Alabama has what is known as "constitutional carry", meaning any eligible gun owner can carry a concealed firearm on themselves or in their vehicle without any restrictions.

Not clear how that applies to this case.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: February 23, 2023, 01:16:15 PM »
Paraphrasing but think I have read “Miles asked Miller to bring his gun.”   Had a law professor for a masters course that used to say “pronouns are death”. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #39: February 23, 2023, 01:29:16 PM »
Miller gets a text at 1 am to bring a gun to his teammate, gets there and tells the guy the gun is locked and loaded, and he "doesn't do anything wrong and has no way of knowing what would happen"

Come on imref

Maybe in a court of law he can't be guilty but the fact that he's on the team, enrolled in the school, and being defended by his coach as an "aw shucks bad luck" situation is a complete joke. Kids are expelled for a lot less.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: February 23, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
Miller gets a text at 1 am to bring a gun to his teammate, gets there and tells the guy the gun is locked and loaded, and he "doesn't do anything wrong and has no way of knowing what would happen"

Come on imref

Maybe in a court of law he can't be guilty but the fact that he's on the team, enrolled in the school, and being defended by his coach as an "aw shucks bad luck" situation is a complete joke. Kids are expelled for a lot less.
Yes. He should be off the team.  I’m waiting for Lebron to weigh in on this. LOL.

Offline imref

« Reply #41: February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 PM »
Not clear how that applies to this case.

meaning there's no restriction on Miller carrying Miles' gun so long as both are eligible to own firearms.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: February 23, 2023, 01:34:18 PM »
meaning there's no restriction on Miller carrying Miles' gun so long as both are eligible to own firearms.
Ok. As noted I thought it was Miller’s gun.  Still really stupid.

Offline imref

« Reply #43: February 23, 2023, 01:34:20 PM »

Come on imref

i'm not defending him because I wasn't there and don't know all the facts. But I recall seeing that Miller claims that Miles told him that he needed the gun for self-defense. The reports are that Miles and Davis hit on the girl who was shot, which triggered an altercation and an exchange of gunfire. Miller's car was hit with gunfire.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: February 23, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »
The yahoo article says Miles fired into the car first which is probably why he is being charged with murder.  Doesn’t sound like they have charged the guy with the girl with any crime. Of course I am sure this will all be disputed in court. The article says he returned fire.

Just a sad situation all around.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #45: February 23, 2023, 01:47:52 PM »
i'm not defending him because I wasn't there and don't know all the facts. But I recall seeing that Miller claims that Miles told him that he needed the gun for self-defense. The reports are that Miles and Davis hit on the girl who was shot, which triggered an altercation and an exchange of gunfire. Miller's car was hit with gunfire.

One might wonder whether a) calling the police or b) getting out of there might have worked better for self-defense, with the added bonus of not killing a woman. Perhaps the coach can weigh in on that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #46: February 23, 2023, 01:49:06 PM »
Never occurred to him to tell his teammate to get back to his dorm and ready to play in the next game. It's a strange world.

Come on imref

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: February 23, 2023, 01:50:01 PM »
One might wonder whether a) calling the police or b) getting out of there might have worked better for self-defense, with the added bonus of not killing a woman. Perhaps the coach can weigh in on that.
Scored 40 points and they won. All that matters.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #48: February 23, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
Never occurred to him to tell his teammate to get back to his dorm and ready to play in the next game. It's a strange world.

Add campus security to the list of people he could contact if he felt threatened

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #49: February 23, 2023, 02:07:26 PM »
Add campus security to the list of people he could contact if he felt threatened
Assuming he wasn't out on the town partying, but yes. I don't know the situation. I just know that people make bad, freaked up decisions. And it's sad