Author Topic: Good With Nats, Not So Much After  (Read 692 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Good With Nats, Not So Much After
« Topic Start: November 03, 2022, 09:35:49 PM »
There's quite a few players the Nats let go or traded just at the right time. Players who were good with the Nats but not so much as soon as they left. Here's the ones I could think of:

Nick Johnson
Drew Storen
Jordan Zimmermann
Rafael Soriano
Tanner Roark (started falling off with Nats his last year)
Gio Gonzalas (started falling off with Nats his last year)
Adam LaRoche
Anthony Rendon (Possible rebound)
Ian Desmond
Wilson Ramos (Some success later but not like with Nats)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Good With Nats, Not So Much After
« Reply #1: November 03, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »
Rendon

Offline Senatorswin

Offline imref

« Reply #3: November 03, 2022, 10:50:44 PM »
Yeah but I’d list him twice just because of boll the fall-off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: November 04, 2022, 08:56:56 AM »
Rendon had one very good year (2020) before the fall off.  Also, Ramos had a nice career.

The Roark deal (Tanner R for Tanner R) worked out well for the Nats, but he had a good stretch for Cinci before they flipped him mid-season.  He's pretty much bombed since then.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #5: November 04, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
Rendon had one very good year (2020) before the fall off.  Also, Ramos had a nice career.

The Roark deal (Tanner R for Tanner R) worked out well for the Nats, but he had a good stretch for Cinci before they flipped him mid-season.  He's pretty much bombed since then.

Rendon's only decent season after the Nats was the shortened 2020 season. 9 homers 31 RBI. Tanner never won more than 6 games after leaving the Nats. Ramos was probably the best of these (as noted above) but didn't reach Nats level.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: November 04, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
Injury? He was so good.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #7: November 04, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »
Didn't Desmond have some good years with Texas and the Rockies? Made at least one All Star game iirc.

Offline imref

« Reply #8: November 04, 2022, 11:54:48 AM »
How about Daniel Murphy? Only played 207 games in roughly 2.5 years after leaving the Nats in 2018. His first season in Colorado was good, .279 / .328 / .452 in 132 games but he was done the following year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: November 04, 2022, 01:02:37 PM »
Didn't Desmond have some good years with Texas and the Rockies? Made at least one All Star game iirc.
His first year, in Texas, started well, I think, but his overall numbers that year were mediocre.  That kind of led to the jaw-dropping surprise when the Rockies not only signed him to a longish contract, but did so I think with the plan to play him at first.  I guess they thought the speed and BABIP could play in  a big park.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: November 04, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »
Injury? He was so good.

I still would bet on a Rendon bounceback in 2023 if he plays at all. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #11: November 04, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
How about Daniel Murphy? Only played 207 games in roughly 2.5 years after leaving the Nats in 2018. His first season in Colorado was good, .279 / .328 / .452 in 132 games but he was done the following year.

I thought of Murphy when I first started the list and then forgot about him when I made it. Good one.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #12: November 04, 2022, 02:40:38 PM »
I still would bet on a Rendon bounceback in 2023 if he plays at all.

He probably never will live up to that contract but I agree he could still have some good years. He'll be 33 during the next season.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #13: November 04, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »
I'd say that Murphy doesn't count, and that neither should any player the Nats gave up because he was hurt. Murphy's knee was worn out.

Nick Johnson is an odd one. He was injured again and again, both before the Expos got him, during his time in Washington, and when he was traded.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #14: November 04, 2022, 10:47:03 PM »
I'd say that Murphy doesn't count, and that neither should any player the Nats gave up because he was hurt. Murphy's knee was worn out.

Nick Johnson is an odd one. He was injured again and again, both before the Expos got him, during his time in Washington, and when he was traded.

I was just looking at Murphy's stats while he was a Nat. He was a beast. Home runs, a doubles machine and batting average through the roof.

Offline imref

« Reply #15: November 05, 2022, 01:07:18 AM »
I was just looking at Murphy's stats while he was a Nat. He was a beast. Home runs, a doubles machine and batting average through the roof.

Those teams with Murphy were arguably our best

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #16: November 05, 2022, 03:03:26 PM »
Murphy was the best hitter the New Nats have had. I loved watching him kill the Mets again and again, and loved hearing the Mets post-game guys say, essentially, "Should have ignored Cespedes and given some money to Murphy".

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: November 05, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
Murphy was the best hitter the New Nats have had. I loved watching him kill the Mets again and again, and loved hearing the Mets post-game guys say, essentially, "Should have ignored Cespedes and given some money to Murphy".
I loved Murphy,  Makes me wonder what happened to my blue Murphy Nats t-shirt?  Have not seen it in a while. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: November 10, 2022, 04:20:54 PM »
d'Artegnan (Gary Majewski) pretty much went off a cliff after being traded.  I seem to recall the Reds threatening legal action or submitting a formal wah to the league. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #19: November 10, 2022, 07:33:33 PM »
d'Artegnan (Gary Majewski) pretty much went off a cliff after being traded.  I seem to recall the Reds threatening legal action or submitting a formal wah to the league. 

Wasn’t he injured and the Reds accused the Nats of knowing prior to the trade.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #20: November 10, 2022, 08:15:04 PM »

I just looked at his stats. He had a 2 and 3 ERA with the Expos\Nats and 8's as soon as he went with the Reds. Could that of been some Jim Bowden shenanigans.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #21: November 10, 2022, 08:18:49 PM »
I just looked at his stats. He had a 2 and 3 ERA with the Expos\Nats and 8's as soon as he went with the Reds. Could that of been some Jim Bowden shenanigans.

I just looked it up. It does look like Bowden might of been up to some tricks:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=2684794

Offline catocony

« Reply #22: November 14, 2022, 05:08:35 PM »
We never complained that we got FLop in the trade.  Sounds even to me.  A pitcher with a bum shoulder for them, just a bum for us.