Author Topic: Nationals Players Booed at Nats Park  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Nationals Players Booed at Nats Park
« Topic Start: October 15, 2022, 12:27:54 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while but I really noticed it at a game late in the year when some guy named Romero pitched for the Nats at a home game against the Phillies. He got smoked. Schwarber led off with an upper deck home run and it just got worse from there. Every at-bat was a line drive. As he was being taken out and walking toward the dugout the fans clapped like he had just pitched seven shutout innings.

Judge got booed yesterday in New York. Soto has been booed in San Diego. Harper in Philly. Everybody in Philly. In fact this year when the third baseman in Philly made an error he was seen saying I can't stand playing here. I can't remember a Nats player getting booed at home.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: National Players Booed at Nats Park
« Reply #1: October 15, 2022, 01:03:34 PM »
Cheney?

Offline madj55

« Reply #2: October 15, 2022, 01:11:45 PM »
Drew Storen definitely got booed multiple times in 2015. I remember Dan Haren and Espinosa getting some boos as well.

Loudest boos I’ve heard towards a Nat were for Matt Williams.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: October 15, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
Papelbon got boo'd

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: October 15, 2022, 01:50:07 PM »
Matt Stairs and F-Lop got (earned) some boos.  Papelbon. 

Offline Senatorswin

Re: Nationals Players Booed at Nats Park
« Reply #5: October 15, 2022, 03:22:54 PM »
Papelbon I would say yes because he went after Harper. Drew gave up that big hit in the playoffs but I don't know about being booed. I'm sorry to say I don't know who Cheney is.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #6: October 15, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
And here it is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/04/08/no-its-not-time-to-forgive-jonathan-papelbon-boo-him-without-mercy/

That's kind of different because he was being booed for being a jerk more than a bad performance.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #7: October 15, 2022, 03:38:16 PM »
Here's a couple articles about Storen. They mainly talk about should he gets booed when he returns to Nats Park as a Cincinnati Red. One talks about him blowing three huge games in Nats history but doesn't specifically say he got booed while in DC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/06/23/should-drew-storen-be-booed-upon-his-return-to-nationals-park/

http://thenatsblog.com/2017/06/please-dont-boo-drew-storen/

Offline dracnal

« Reply #8: October 15, 2022, 09:37:11 PM »
Here's a couple articles about Storen. They mainly talk about should he gets booed when he returns to Nats Park as a Cincinnati Red. One talks about him blowing three huge games in Nats history but doesn't specifically say he got booed while in DC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/06/23/should-drew-storen-be-booed-upon-his-return-to-nationals-park/

http://thenatsblog.com/2017/06/please-dont-boo-drew-storen/

One of the things with Storen was it could be hard to tell if the crowd was yelling, 'Dreeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww,' or 'Booooooo.' FP was always quick to say it was the latter and anyone who thought it was the former was just wrong. But after 2012, I don't know that I'd agree, at all.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #9: October 15, 2022, 10:36:03 PM »
One of the things with Storen was it could be hard to tell if the crowd was yelling, 'Dreeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww,' or 'Booooooo.' FP was always quick to say it was the latter and anyone who thought it was the former was just wrong. But after 2012, I don't know that I'd agree, at all.
Didn't someone, maybe Boog Powell, joke that he was cheered in every stadium he visited?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #10: October 16, 2022, 09:33:05 AM »
I believe Corbin got booed multiple times (deservedly) though I have not attended any games since WS game 5 in 2019 .

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: October 16, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »
I believe Corbin got booed multiple times (deservedly) though I have not attended any games since WS game 5 in 2019 .
That games sucked...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: October 16, 2022, 11:31:07 AM »
It takes a lot to get booed here, and even then a lot of those guys had defenders. Storen seemed determined to end playoff runs, but he still had fans

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #13: October 16, 2022, 01:59:39 PM »
It takes a lot to get booed here, and even then a lot of those guys had defenders. Storen seemed determined to end playoff runs, but he still had fans

This is from one of the Storen articles:

"Washington Nationals fans seem to have a pretty good reputation thus far for being friendly."

I never did like what Boston fans did to Bill Buckner. Buckner had a nice career but if anybody brings his name up today that's what he's remembered for because of whining Red Sox fans.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #14: October 16, 2022, 02:05:02 PM »
The funniest booing incident I can remember is the Yankees and Senators were playing in RFK in the late 60's. The Senators fans booed Joe Pepitone big time when he came up. He hit a double. When he came back out in the field to play first base everybody booed him again. He put up the peace sign with his fingers. Everybody laughed and cheered him.

Strange the things we remember from over 50 years ago.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: October 16, 2022, 02:23:12 PM »
The DC media/fan atmosphere is among the softest in all of sports.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: October 16, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »
Yep

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: October 16, 2022, 02:54:27 PM »
Reading the post, you’d think the Wizards we’re actually a decent team

Offline hotshot

« Reply #18: October 16, 2022, 06:08:20 PM »
Agree. The passion of many fans (not here of course) has often been questioned.

Heard someone say today most of the Mariners fans stood for the entire 18 inning game yesterday. Was that the case at Nats Park back in 2019? I wasn't there and tbh I don't recall from my TV couch vantage point.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #19: October 16, 2022, 08:49:42 PM »
Agree. The passion of many fans (not here of course) has often been questioned.

Heard someone say today most of the Mariners fans stood for the entire 18 inning game yesterday. Was that the case at Nats Park back in 2019? I wasn't there and tbh I don't recall from my TV couch vantage point.

I was at the wild card game in 2019. The Nats trailed from the first inning through the seventh inning. The Brewers had Hader as their closer. The attitude where we were sitting was here we go again, we get to the playoffs and crap out. So no, we weren't standing the entire game. When we rallied in the eight though the stadium exploded. Zim's bloop broken bat single. When Soto cleared the bases with the hit that got by the right fielder it was a crazier atmosphere than any game I had ever been at except maybe the Bullets in the playoffs in 1978.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: October 16, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
Who wants to stand when you pay all that money for tickets!!

I remember being very annoyed at getting up and down for Storen NOT closing out game 5 in 2012. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #21: October 16, 2022, 10:40:46 PM »

I remember being very annoyed at getting up and down for Storen NOT closing out game 5 in 2012. 

We took the shuttle boat over in 2014 for Zimmermann’s start and were able to get into the club level. We made our way down to the first base side by the stairs that led down to the boat and watched the ninth inning from there, hoping they would close it out. When it tied up, right back up we went.

Those there might remember it as the first cold game night that year, and I know we and others were not dressed for that. Eventually — maybe around the second seventh inning stretch in the 14th, we took to going to the interior of the club level for the Giants at bats, and going to the seats when the Nationals were swinging for the fences. (Still shaking my head at the ump tossing Asdrubal.) I recall a healthy amount of standing, including us at times.

The coup de grace was having the boat play the post game of the nice healthy volume all the way back. I pointedly requested that they refrain from doing that after a playoff losses, and they obliged going forward the times I went by boat and they came up short.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #22: October 16, 2022, 10:41:41 PM »

Agreed. I went to a Notre Dame vs Navy game in South Bend one time and my tickets were behind the midshipmen section. They stand the whole game. My wife was very annoyed to say the least. They've since moved the midshipmen seats in South Bend so nobody is behind them.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #23: October 17, 2022, 07:30:47 AM »
Wander Suero. In his defense, a lot of that booing felt aimed at Martinez for putting him in.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #24: October 17, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »
I remember Rafael Soriano catching some boos.  He had all the necessary ingredients for booing: ineffectiveness, a prima donna personality, complete DGAF attitude to the fact that he was repeatedly making a good team lose games.