Author Topic: 2022-2023 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 21398 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: 2022-2023 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #175: November 12, 2022, 04:07:58 PM »
Ted will keep Rizzo. Just like he kept Ernie for years. Then hire his assistant. The only important thing to Ted will be on site betting.

Leonsis kept a good Capitals organization together. The Wizzards are the odd one, but the NBA is an odd league.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: November 12, 2022, 05:32:01 PM »
Leonsis kept a good Capitals organization together. The Wizzards are the odd one, but the NBA is an odd league.
Hockey is driven by superstars. The Caps failed to develop talent to supplement the superstars.

The Nats will be the definition if mediocrity under Leonsis. I hope everyone enjoyed 2019. It will be a decade or more before this team is a serious postseason contender. If ever.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: November 12, 2022, 07:05:44 PM »
They haven’t made it past the first round since 2018. Which puts them right in the middle of the pack in the NHL. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #180: November 15, 2022, 06:21:42 PM »
Minor League Contract / ST Invites:
RHP Hobie Harris
OF Derek Hill

Illdemaro Vargas agrees to a one-year contract to avoid arbitration.

Added to the 40 man:
Jake Alu, Matt Cronin, Jeremy De La Rosa, Jose Ferrer, Jake Irvin, and Jackson Rutledge

DFAd: Tommy Romero, Yadiel Hernandez, Evan Lee, and Jackson Tetreault. Yadi, Lee, and Tetreault all cleared waivers and were assigned to Rochester.

Quite surprised to see Yadi DFA'd, and Drew Milas not yet protected. Irvin is a surprise addition to the 40-man

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #181: November 16, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »
Minor League Contract / ST Invites:
RHP Hobie Harris
OF Derek Hill

Illdemaro Vargas agrees to a one-year contract to avoid arbitration.

Added to the 40 man:
Jake Alu, Matt Cronin, Jeremy De La Rosa, Jose Ferrer, Jake Irvin, and Jackson Rutledge

DFAd: Tommy Romero, Yadiel Hernandez, Evan Lee, and Jackson Tetreault. Yadi, Lee, and Tetreault all cleared waivers and were assigned to Rochester.

Quite surprised to see Yadi DFA'd, and Drew Milas not yet protected. Irvin is a surprise addition to the 40-man
I'm a bit surprised by my man crush being DFA'd, but it tells me they want to keep Voit around. With Meneses and Voit, you have two DHs already and the team probably needs to add a bat. The corner OF is getting full fast, especially with Lane Thomas probably best at RF and Alex Call deserving some more time in LF. Any bat they add probably shove Thomas to CF. End of day, corner OF is busy and they're playing younger guys over Hernandez. I wish they took that approach to Nelson Cruz last season.

Not surprised by Irvin. I predicted last year he'd end up at camp, and I stood by it even after his AA struggles.

Really pleased to see Alu on the roster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #182: November 16, 2022, 11:28:06 AM »
With Yadi likely gone, the team is down to Palacios as the only lefty hitting outfielder near the majors.  Antuna is a switch, and De La Rosa is a lefty but will probably repeat A+.  Elvir ID'd a guy left off TB's 40 man roster who might be a guy to target in Rule 5, unless the Nats look to a free agent.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #183: November 16, 2022, 02:09:31 PM »
With Yadi likely gone, the team is down to Palacios as the only lefty hitting outfielder near the majors.  Antuna is a switch, and De La Rosa is a lefty but will probably repeat A+.  Elvir ID'd a guy left off TB's 40 man roster who might be a guy to target in Rule 5, unless the Nats look to a free agent.

And I have no understanding of why Palacios is still on the 40-man.  He's 27, didn't hit in the majors in a small sample, and can't play center.  That's a minor league free agent profile. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184: November 16, 2022, 02:30:16 PM »
And I have no understanding of why Palacios is still on the 40-man.  He's 27, didn't hit in the majors in a small sample, and can't play center.  That's a minor league free agent profile. 
literally, I suspect he may be the next cut once we create space for a Rule 5 draftee, especially if it is a lefty OF like Misner.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185: November 16, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
In thinking about the Yadi and Lee moves, I see they were outrighted to AAA.  I guess they cannot refuse assignment as the first time they are outrighted?  IF that is the case, then it looks like a safe little roster reshuffle.  If they are exposed to Rule 5 by this move, then maybe it is a bit of bait to get teams to nab them instead of Millas?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #186: November 16, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »
In thinking about the Yadi and Lee moves, I see they were outrighted to AAA.  I guess they cannot refuse assignment as the first time they are outrighted?  IF that is the case, then it looks like a safe little roster reshuffle.  If they are exposed to Rule 5 by this move, then maybe it is a bit of bait to get teams to nab them instead of Millas?

I’m not certain about this but they cleared waivers and were outrighted to Rochester. They are not vets so they cannot choose FA.  Since Yadi and Lee were on the major league 40 man they are not subject to the Rule 5 draft. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #187: November 16, 2022, 06:59:27 PM »
Yadi and Lee are no longer on the 40 man roster

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #188: November 16, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »
Yadi and Lee are no longer on the 40 man roster

That is what I said in reply to JCA.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #189: November 16, 2022, 07:48:59 PM »
I’m not certain about this but they cleared waivers and were outrighted to Rochester. They are not vets so they cannot choose FA.  Since Yadi and Lee were on the major league 40 man they are not subject to the Rule 5 draft. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

If you're not on the 40 man and have the requisite post-signing/draft time then you're eligible regardless of whether you were on a 40 or 26 in the past.   For example, Rusney Castillo was Rule 5 eligible for several years after the Red Sox outrighted him, but wasn't picked because of the contract.

You can't protect a guy by adding him and then outrighting him - if you could, teams would do that with dozens of guys every year because non-vets can't refuse a first outright. 

Hernandez would actually be an interesting Rule 5 draftee.  He's cheap but old and only has one major league skill.  But given that that skill is hitting major league pitching, he might be worth a punt for a team that needs a bench bat and could just sink-or-swim him.  There's not much downside, but any team that wanted him would have just claimed him on waivers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190: November 17, 2022, 09:04:52 AM »
I think the rule is that when you lose a guy in Rule 5, you get to protect another guy.  Maybe Yadi is bait.  We were speculating last year that he had trade value.  He's a lefty, and hits above average, and would be due MLB minimum.  Not so useful in a rebuild, but perhaps useful depth for a better team.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #191: November 17, 2022, 01:32:38 PM »
I think the rule is that when you lose a guy in Rule 5, you get to protect another guy.  Maybe Yadi is bait.  We were speculating last year that he had trade value.  He's a lefty, and hits above average, and would be due MLB minimum.  Not so useful in a rebuild, but perhaps useful depth for a better team.

Why, though?  It's not like they left any prospects unprotected who are actually good enough to merit a strategy like that.  And if they had, why wouldn't someone just pick the good player?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: November 17, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »
Eh, Occam's Razor - the kept a combo of guys they liked the most, could be most useful in 2023, or they liked but thought would not be taken because they'd be hardest to keep around all season. I'm guessing the last explains Millas, although it could be they honestly like Pineda more.

Offline imref

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194: November 18, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »
Tender decisions are due today:

https://www.talknats.com/2022/11/18/non-tender-deadline-today-nats-nine-decisions-due/

I kind of don't understand non-tendering after you set your 40 man roster unless you really do not have a guy you would have kept if there were space.  Take Millas again.  If you plan on non-tendering Fedde, then why not put Millas on the 40 man roster and cut Fedde last week?  Maybe Fedde is in a spot where you make a low-ball offer and if he takes it, fine, so you give him a little extra time.  Maybe it's Fedde's way of squeezing the team a bit saying, "I'll do a deal if you bump that up."  Maybe Vargas did that and they settled, while maybe Fedde they could have a meeting of the minds.  Otherwise, I don't get non-tendering a guy if you have somebody you would have rostered had there been a spot.

Offline imref

« Reply #195: November 18, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »
yeah. I think they end up tendering Fedde. $3.6 million for rotation depth isn't exactly expensive, especially for a team that won't likely be in a position to compete next year. I expect every one of the 9 to get an offer.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #196: November 18, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
If they really want to get a flippable asset, they should get Cody Bellinger on a rebound, incentive laden deal. Somebody's going to do it and my bet is they'll be glad they did.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #197: November 18, 2022, 02:22:29 PM »
If they really want to get a flippable asset, they should get Cody Bellinger on a rebound, incentive laden deal. Somebody's going to do it and my bet is they'll be glad they did.

I don't know. I think the Dodgers have really given him lots of rope and he hasn't rebounded. With the resources the Dodgers have and use, I'm not sure if any organization can "fix" him. I certainly don't think this organization can.

Online blue911

« Reply #198: November 18, 2022, 02:33:21 PM »

I don't know. I think the Dodgers have really given him lots of rope and he hasn't rebounded. With the resources the Dodgers have and use, I'm not sure if any organization can "fix" him. I certainly don't think this organization can.

He’s a perfect fit for Kevin Long.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #199: November 18, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
He’s a perfect fit for Kevin Long.

Losing Kevin Long and the signing of the last two pitching coaches didn't do the Mats any favors. Yes it was not a typo as virtually every team walked all over the 2022 version.