Author Topic: 2022 MLB Post-season  (Read 11498 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2022 MLB Post-season
« Reply #300: October 20, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
So, if you are tracking the ex-Nats line up, it's Harper, Schwarber, and Hand playing plus Howie as a special assistant for the Phillies, and Soto, Bell, Stammen (not active), and the short-timer Austin Adams on the 60 day IL.  Plus they have Luis Garcia.  No, not that one.  No, not the other one.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #301: October 20, 2022, 08:29:50 AM »
So, if you are tracking the ex-Nats line up, it's Harper, Schwarber, and Hand playing plus Howie as a special assistant for the Phillies, and Soto, Bell, Stammen (not active), and the short-timer Austin Adams on the 60 day IL.  Plus they have Luis Garcia.  No, not that one.  No, not the other one.
I lost track of whether the one on the Padres or the one on the Astros was the one that used to be on the Phillies. Phillies also let go of a minor league SS Luis Garcia this year.  Not sure where he ended up?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #302: October 20, 2022, 08:34:06 AM »
I lost track of whether the one on the Padres or the one on the Astros was the one that used to be on the Phillies. Phillies also let go of a minor league SS Luis Garcia this year.  Not sure where he ended up?
Ok. Looked up. The one on the Padres pitched Phillies mid 2010s. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #303: October 20, 2022, 10:15:06 AM »
Go Yankees, I guess :spaz:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #304: October 20, 2022, 10:29:27 AM »
Go Yankees, I guess :spaz:

My neighbors, the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees (posted on Yankee Stadium so that drivers on the Harlem River Drive and the Major Deegan are reminded), those Yankees, don't seem to have a champion team. The GM has built them that way. Yes, they hit home runs in the tight little stadium the Yankees built themselves, but good pitching usually strangles home run hitters.

Aaron Boone has had his Yankees stealing bases and even trying that ancient thing called the "hit-and-run". Likely not enough, especially when the Yankees are especially weak in those ancient things called "starting pitchers" and "relief pitchers". Is a reliever an ancient thing? Just look up Washington's own Firpo Marberry.

And the Astros have Dusty.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #305: October 20, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
Inasmuch as I care at all who wins it all, my order of preference would be:

Padres (sorry Elvar)
Phillies (NL > AL)
Yankees
The cast of STOMP aka The Houston Asstroglides.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #306: October 20, 2022, 11:33:28 AM »
PHILLIES.

Dads.
Yankees. 

Trash Can bangers.

I bet on the Phils and Yanks to win the current series. The Dodgers blew my “sure bet” before the playoffs that they would win the Series.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #307: October 20, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
My neighbors, the 27-time World Champion New York Yankees (posted on Yankee Stadium so that drivers on the Harlem River Drive and the Major Deegan are reminded), those Yankees, don't seem to have a champion team. The GM has built them that way. Yes, they hit home runs in the tight little stadium the Yankees built themselves, but good pitching usually strangles home run hitters.

Aaron Boone has had his Yankees stealing bases and even trying that ancient thing called the "hit-and-run". Likely not enough, especially when the Yankees are especially weak in those ancient things called "starting pitchers" and "relief pitchers". Is a reliever an ancient thing? Just look up Washington's own Firpo Marberry.

It reminds me of when the Redskins realized they had to do something about Lawrence Taylor (and Reggie White) and swung deals first for RC Thielemann and then for Jim Lachey. One seemed to help them dominate at the line in Super Bowl 22, the other in Super Bowl 26.

Cashman has had five years to focus on challenging the Astros. He shipped out rotation depth and playoff experience in Montgomery for an injured light hitting outfielder in Bader. Chapman’s liabilities have been known for years, and the way of addressing it has apparently ended in deactivating him in this playoffs. As JCA noted, a historically fragile team was then supplemented more veteran who figured to be more liable for injuries, and have been.

If the only response to a playoff exit at this point is to lose Boone, it will bring back memories of Leonsis with his entrenched GMs and rotating coaches.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #308: October 20, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »
Inasmuch as I care at all who wins it all, my order of preference would be:

Padres (sorry Elvar)
Phillies (NL > AL)
Yankees

Your site, your rules, but I believe the team name is spelled "Prellers."

For me, it's:

Phillies
All the rest of them

I like Dusty and don't hate the Padres' players for the most part.  That doesn't get me very far into anything like wanting to watch the World Series.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #309: October 20, 2022, 01:18:22 PM »
I have to be in the moment to figure out if I'm pulling for any of the teams. It's closer to NBA where you often root for players and the team incidental. 

I root for Juan, Josh, Schwarber, maybe Harper just because I have a taste for the spectacular, and few scattered other players and pitchers. Judge, Kyle Tucker (fantasy team hero), JTR, Brantley when he plays ...  I like JV (Goochland Rocks!), probably a few other pitchers if I think real hard. Stammen in the WS would be good to root for.   

I hope for spectacular failures from Machado and Bregman.  I'd love a costly ejection of Machado. 

Yordan Alvarez is another guy who is fun to watch.  As for the managers, I'd be happy for Dusty.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #310: October 20, 2022, 02:54:49 PM »

:lmao:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #311: October 21, 2022, 09:53:40 AM »
Yankees have struck out 30 times in the first two games against Houston :shock:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #312: October 21, 2022, 09:55:50 AM »
Yankees offense has disappeared.

Its also completely not shocking that baseball's punishment has done absolutely nothing to hinder the Astros. Guess the lesson learned is that you may as well cheat as the consequences will be a slap on the wrist and more winning

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #313: October 21, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »
Yankees offense has disappeared.

Its also completely not shocking that baseball's punishment has done absolutely nothing to hinder the Astros. Guess the lesson learned is that you may as well cheat as the consequences will be a slap on the wrist and more winning

helps to have a good scouting / farm system.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #314: October 21, 2022, 10:18:25 AM »

This 1000%. It’s basically what might’ve happened if Manfred was the commissioner back in the Black Sox days, as the team could’ve taken several pennants and pieces of metal afterwards.

The prevailing issue wasn’t that the Astros couldn’t have conceivably won in 2017 and other years without their widespread actions, but that the level of dutiful, systematic, and organized rule-breaking comparable to a Black Sox level of corruption warranted commensurate action from the commissioner. This is especially after the purveyor of the piece of metal specified after the 2017 Red Sox Apple Watch bust served official notice there would be stiffer penalties going forward.

Doing so would have seemed to further justify what he had the power to do under the best interest of baseball clause, from vacating the 2017 title to more punitive actions that likely would’ve spared us the current spectacle of this team — with many of the reported bad actors — again being on the verge of competing for the piece of metal on the game’s biggest stage.

But yeah, the takeaway seems to be do whatever you want in sports whose ownership and commissioners are allowed to take the path of least resistance while essentially running monopolies. (And pay no attention to the growing elephant of the return of reinstating and enmeshing with the sport and others the precise elements that created the gambling scandal in the first place 100 years ago.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #315: October 21, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
Where goes the nation, goes the national pastime...
Guess the lesson learned is that you may as well cheat as the consequences will be a slap on the wrist and more winning

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #316: October 21, 2022, 04:42:10 PM »
No. It seems that homer-strikeout baseball is losing baseball. That is Yankee baseball, but the Astros last night had nothing more than Bregman's ("Bregaman" - spit) homer. One pitch with two strikes and two outs over a 315 "porch".

I posed the question to a group built around baseball strategy. Several answers pointed to some finding of "analytics" that home runs, walks, and "launch angle" is the way to win. Is that "analytics"? I don't know, but I know that I hate watching it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #317: October 21, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
A breakdown of Josh Bell's success at the plate:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-less-he-swings-the-more-josh-bell-dings/

A few key points:

He is hurt more by swinging at balls and all pitches in the strike zone than by taking low strikes (and balls).  The writer breaks down his hot and cold streaks.  His high BABIP stretches correlate with his high walk and HR stretches, which indicates his better stretches of offensive performance are more than just BABIP luck. PResents a couple of nice graphs that show high wOBA correlates with low O-swing rates and low overall swing rates.

Bell does his best work on pitches high and away, but he’s more likely to see pitches in the lower two-thirds of the zone. Therefore, he needs to wait patiently for the right pitches to swing at if he’s going to be a truly dangerous hitter. That means swinging less often and letting some pitches go, even if those pitches are strikes. Otherwise, he’s going to waste a higher percentage of his swings on worse pitches.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #318: October 21, 2022, 07:58:05 PM »
Musgrove ears.

Online Slateman

« Reply #319: October 21, 2022, 08:21:14 PM »
No. It seems that homer-strikeout baseball is losing baseball. That is Yankee baseball, but the Astros last night had nothing more than Bregman's ("Bregaman" - spit) homer. One pitch with two strikes and two outs over a 315 "porch".

I posed the question to a group built around baseball strategy. Several answers pointed to some finding of "analytics" that home runs, walks, and "launch angle" is the way to win. Is that "analytics"? I don't know, but I know that I hate watching it.

Except its really not. The Yankees are a bad example. They have one MVP hitter and two good ones. The rest of their lineup is a below .500 team and its showing in the playoffs.

Astros do everything well. They can hit for power but also hit for average. Same for the Phillies. Padres are probably the least power dependant team in the playoffs right now. All the teams that are really power deficient have been eliminated.

You absolutely have to have power in the postseason. The pitching is simply too good to expect to string together multiple hits on a guy.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #320: October 21, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »
There is your Gold Glove Juan Soto.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #321: October 21, 2022, 09:12:52 PM »
Jeanie Jeanie Bo Beanie makes up for his error.  And then gets picked off. Oh well.

Online Slateman

« Reply #322: October 21, 2022, 09:53:18 PM »
Jeanie Jeanie Bo Beanie makes up for his error.  And then gets picked off. Oh well.
Dude is on a rollar coaster right now

Online Slateman

« Reply #323: October 21, 2022, 09:53:52 PM »
Joey woulda made that catch

Online Slateman

« Reply #324: October 21, 2022, 10:13:49 PM »
The Jean Segura Show