Author Topic: 2022 MLB Post-season  (Read 12267 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 2022 MLB Post-season
« Reply #375: October 23, 2022, 06:24:58 PM »
Welp, this is going to be a gross World Series

Guess I'll cheer for Dusty... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #376: October 23, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »
Bye, Preller.  Good luck trying to trade some more injured pitchers in the offseason, you weasel-faced wanksplat.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #377: October 23, 2022, 07:07:06 PM »
Agree on the first part but  lots of that was deferred. He needed up with better offers from the Phillies, Padres and Giants I think. Or was it the Dodgers?  They had Soto to replace him. But now no Soto. Or Turner. Or Rendon. Or Bell. 

Yep. Glad we didn’t sign Rendon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #378: October 23, 2022, 07:45:54 PM »
He basically got the Padres past the Dodgers.
yes. No need to root for him.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #379: October 24, 2022, 10:35:06 AM »
Wow this is the World Series from Hell for Nationals fans.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #380: October 24, 2022, 10:38:24 AM »
What a great series this will be!

I set up my on line betting account back in 2019 to plunk $100 on the Nats. Had a feel about it. Think it was +180. Was disappointed I could only find +160 for the Phillies this morning. So bet only $25.  They have that feel about them but of course the Astros pitching is great. Will be nice to see Dusty get his if they Phillies cannot win. So far the NL East is the Astros nemesis.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #381: October 24, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »

Really?  I think even without my cartoon-level dislike of the San Diego Prellers, the Braves and Cardinals would probably be worse for most people than the Phillies.  Possibly the Mets too.

And the Orioles could win the AL.  At least in theory, that could happen.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #382: October 24, 2022, 10:53:44 AM »
Cardinals fans are the most annoying fanbase in the NL but there's nothing personal about it, if that makes sense. Apart from the 2012 NLDS (where I blame the Nationals pitching staff, the Nationals manager and the umpire - I don't blame the Cardinals for not swinging at Storen's pitches when the umps were calling everything a ball) there's not really any kind of specific Nationals-Cardinals history or incident where I would be annoyed at the Cardinals as a Nats fan rather than just as a human being.

Braves, I personally agree I find them more irritating than the Phillies. My guess is that most Nats fans would say they hate the Phillies more due to (1) a certain outfielder who is on the Phils, and (2) the long history pre-2012 of Phillies fans invading Nats Park and just generally being jerks.

As far as the worst possible AL winner, I mean everyone hates the Astros now. Nats played them and beat them in a World Series and the fans take great pride in that. Orioles would be the only possible other contender and my guess is the Astros could hold their own in a "Who do you hate more, the Astros or the Orioles?" poll done on WNFF.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #383: October 24, 2022, 11:03:31 AM »
Really?  I think even without my cartoon-level dislike of the San Diego Prellers, the Braves and Cardinals would probably be worse for most people than the Phillies.  Possibly the Mets too.

And the Orioles could win the AL.  At least in theory, that could happen.
The proximity and rivalry between the fan bases in many sports has bred dislike of the Phillies.   The DMV fans think Phillies fans are loud and obnoxious. Imagine that.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #384: October 24, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »
Cardinals fans are the most annoying fanbase in the NL but there's nothing personal about it, if that makes sense. Apart from the 2012 NLDS (where I blame the Nationals pitching staff, the Nationals manager and the umpire - I don't blame the Cardinals for not swinging at Storen's pitches when the umps were calling everything a ball) there's not really any kind of specific Nationals-Cardinals history or incident where I would be annoyed at the Cardinals as a Nats fan rather than just as a human being.

Braves, I personally agree I find them more irritating than the Phillies. My guess is that most Nats fans would say they hate the Phillies more due to (1) a certain outfielder who is on the Phils, and (2) the long history pre-2012 of Phillies fans invading Nats Park and just generally being jerks.

As far as the worst possible AL winner, I mean everyone hates the Astros now. Nats played them and beat them in a World Series and the fans take great pride in that. Orioles would be the only possible other contender and my guess is the Astros could hold their own in a "Who do you hate more, the Astros or the Orioles?" poll done on WNFF.

People seem to forget that the Cardinals were the ones who trained the Astros cheaters like Luhnow and were also the organization busted for hacking into the Astros' scouting database.  They are the Astros mk.1. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #385: October 24, 2022, 11:55:07 AM »
People seem to forget that the Cardinals were the ones who trained the Astros cheaters like Luhnow and were also the organization busted for hacking into the Astros' scouting database.  They are the Astros mk.1.

Good point. 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #386: October 24, 2022, 11:56:25 AM »
The proximity and rivalry between the fan bases in many sports has bred dislike of the Phillies.   The DMV fans think Phillies fans are loud and obnoxious. Imagine that.

Yeah, I remember one guy getting vocal related to perceptions of that fanbase:

https://dcist.com/story/12/05/21/another-reason-bryce-harper-is-awes/

““Hopefully I get a couple boos,” he said. “I’m excited to get up there and play. Hopefully they don’t throw any batteries at me.”

“Harper was of course referring to an incident in which fans threw batteries at Dick Allen, the Phillies’ first prominent African American player, forcing him to wear a batting helmet at he took the field. What’s interesting is that the incident far pre-dates Harper; the Nats’ sensation is 19, while Allen’s abuse at the hands of his own fans took place in the 1960s. Philadelphia fans have long been considered the worst in professional sports.

“The last time the Phillies played the Nats—here in D.C.—pitcher Cole Hamels purposely hit Harper, resulting in a suspension for Hamels.“

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #387: October 24, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »
I'd root for just about anyone over the Astros, but Cards would be cutting it close.  Phillies vs an AL team that also happens to be the Astros is a no-brainer, and FAR better than having to watch Cards/Astros.

There's also the possibility that the NL East could produce 3 different world champions in 4 years.  That's something to be proud of, I think.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #388: October 24, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
I'd root for just about anyone over the Astros, but Cards would be cutting it close.  Phillies vs an AL team that also happens to be the Astros is a no-brainer, and FAR better than having to watch Cards/Astros.

There's also the possibility that the NL East could produce 3 different world champions in 4 years.  That's something to be proud of, I think.

Definitely don’t want the Asterisks operation. Also, Dusty already has a ring.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #389: October 24, 2022, 12:49:41 PM »
Yeah, I remember one guy getting vocal related to perceptions of that fanbase:

https://dcist.com/story/12/05/21/another-reason-bryce-harper-is-awes/

““Hopefully I get a couple boos,” he said. “I’m excited to get up there and play. Hopefully they don’t throw any batteries at me.”

“Harper was of course referring to an incident in which fans threw batteries at Dick Allen, the Phillies’ first prominent African American player, forcing him to wear a batting helmet at he took the field. What’s interesting is that the incident far pre-dates Harper; the Nats’ sensation is 19, while Allen’s abuse at the hands of his own fans took place in the 1960s. Philadelphia fans have long been considered the worst in professional sports.

“The last time the Phillies played the Nats—here in D.C.—pitcher Cole Hamels purposely hit Harper, resulting in a suspension for Hamels.“
And then he found out where the really bad fans are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/26/bryce-harper-fed-up-with-taunts-nationals-fans-its-not-right/

Richie Allen was my favorite ball player growing up. Of course I had no idea he wanted to be called Dick because the press and tv/radio guys never told us that. The team and the press also never told the full story of the Frank Thomas incident.  Which caused backlash among fans. But there were lots of racists back then. Probably the majority of fans attending games in most cities. And anyone throwing batteries in the 1960s is dead or sipping dinner through a straw. Of course JD Drew was much more recent. 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #390: October 24, 2022, 01:38:20 PM »
And then he found out where the really bad fans are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/26/bryce-harper-fed-up-with-taunts-nationals-fans-its-not-right/

The time someone reportedly said "your son is disappointed in you" — referring to a baby, which I’m thinking all parties know the baby’s ability to hold an opinion on Bryce’s first season there, and then after a reported outburst appeared to be spun into what seemed like a victim-fest, with the wife weighing in about how damaging such comments could be IIRC? That one? OK.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #391: October 24, 2022, 02:25:49 PM »
The time someone reportedly said "your son is disappointed in you" — referring to a baby, which I’m thinking all parties know the baby’s ability to hold an opinion on Bryce’s first season there, and then after a reported outburst appeared to be spun into what seemed like a victim-fest, with the wife weighing in about how damaging such comments could be IIRC? That one? OK.
You were the one who quoted Harper first.

So you believed his outburst about Phillies fans when in DC. But not about Nats fans when in Philly. Nice.

People have literally been murdered in the parking lots after Dodger games.  That’s recent. Not 60 years ago.  Yet would likey not indict their fan base. The point is there are jerks in every stadium.  We just saw that video of the guy in Nats Park near the end of the season. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #392: October 24, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »

So you believed his outburst about Phillies fans when in DC. But not about Nats fans when in Philly. Nice.

People have literally been murdered in the parking lots after Dodger games.  That’s recent. Not 60 years ago.  Yet would likey not indict their fan base. The point is there are jerks in every stadium.  We just saw that video of the guy in Nats Park near the end of the season.

To be fair - and as a former California resident - the fans out there are surprisingly violent across the board.  Not just LA. 

Giants fans are basically an 80/20 mix of panda-hat-wearing 130-pound vegans and violent drunks.  Even at the 18 inning game in DC, one of the latter species decided to get punchy with about 15 people in a bathroom on the 300 level.  It was a bizarre scene.  Attending any game out there that's actually crowded (meaning, not an A's game) can get dicey surprisingly fast.  Dodgers fans are the worst, but it's a thing all up and down that coast from the meathead military dudes in SD to the priced-out rage cases getting lit on the Caltrain from somewhere beyond San Jose all the way up to SF. 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #393: October 24, 2022, 02:56:52 PM »

Recapping, you made a comment about the “DMV fans“, and I posted what I recalled him saying specifically related to “perceptions of that fanbase”. It didn’t have anything to do with my belief about the fanbase, but about what he said, with whoever is writing the article saying what they had about his comments.

Going back to belief, here’s what I said about what you posted: “The time someone reportedly said "your son is disappointed in you" — referring to a baby, which I’m thinking all parties know the baby’s ability to hold an opinion on Bryce’s first season there, and then after a reported outburst appeared to be spun into what seemed like a victim-fest, with the wife weighing in about how damaging such comments could be IIRC?”

I was at a doctor’s appointment and didn’t click the link, which is why I asked if they related to the above comment. If there are some dastardly revelations in the link about what Nats fans said in Philly besides that, feel free to get to them later.

I wasn’t saying anything in case as far as my view about the fan base in Philly or the truths or myths versus pointing to the irony of what Harper said at the time given where things stand now. When their feature guy has been on record taking shots at the fan base en masse, it’s gonna come up — especially when people start talking about DMV fans on a Nationals message board.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #394: October 24, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
My beef with Phillies in this is Nats Park is going to stink with invaders if they actually win a WS again. It's going to make us glad they are in for 3 fewer games a season. Don't need the place to be CBP south.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #395: October 24, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
Really? I like Bryce and I like Dusty, I'm looking forward to this series! Just wish it was starting tomorrow and not freaking Friday, seriously can MLB do any more to kill people's interest??

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #396: October 24, 2022, 04:17:10 PM »
Five:  I just said the team is unloved because the fans and loud and obnoxious. You chose to quote an article that made some subjective claims and had quotes from a young Harper. Yes there is often irony in sports guys when they move from one town to another.  Werth was royally pissed off about Philly fans after coming to DC for things they said or allegedly said. And then he just threw out the first pitch in game 5 of the NLCS. That’s kind of ironic too.  I don’t know what was said to Harper but will not automatically believe some fan who just said it was soemthing mild. Who really knows.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #397: October 24, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
My beef with Phillies in this is Nats Park is going to stink with invaders if they actually win a WS again. It's going to make us glad they are in for 3 fewer games a season. Don't need the place to be CBP south.
Probably going to happen even if they lose. Just pretend they are from Boston and lost their accents.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #398: October 24, 2022, 04:57:42 PM »
Probably going to happen even if they lose. Just pretend they are from Boston and lost their accents.
well, we get an AL east team for one series every other year. We get the Phillies 6 or 7 every year. At least it's down from 9 or 10. 

Basically I don't want a redux of '09-'11.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #399: October 24, 2022, 05:57:44 PM »
well, we get an AL east team for one series every other year. We get the Phillies 6 or 7 every year. At least it's down from 9 or 10. 

Basically I don't want a redux of '09-'11.
Bad timing.  Nats are bad and season ticket holders diminishing. Braves off a world title. Phillies in the Series. Mets just won 100 games.  As you say with fewer games against the East won’t be as noticeable.