Author Topic: Yankees-Dodgers: An Uncivil War  (Read 218 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Yankees-Dodgers: An Uncivil War
« Topic Start: September 28, 2022, 11:56:58 AM »
Did anyone watch the documentary last night on ESPN covering the 1970's world series battles between LA and NY?

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/09/espn-films-yankees-dodgers-an-uncivil-war-about-intense-1970s-rivalry-to-debut-september-27-at-9-p-m/

Those series were some of my earliest baseball memories but I don't remember the chaos in Yankees Stadium with the fans throwing smoke bombs on the field during the game.

Hopefully the air it again or make it available on-demand.

Offline UMDNats

Re: Yankees-Dodgers: An Uncivil War
« Reply #1: September 28, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »
I did a ton of work with the 1977 and 78 Yankees and those guys really love talking about those two years. Hilarious to me that someone like Goose Gossage has been basically blacklisted because anytime you put a mic in front of him he rails about something stupid.

Those guys will come to literally any event the Yankees will ask them for. Kinda sad as they're pretty clearly desperate for cash and attention. The Bucky Dent home run is one of the most iconic yankees moments.

Online imref

« Reply #2: September 28, 2022, 12:15:03 PM »
Dent was heavily featured in the movie. Bucky f'ng Dent.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: September 28, 2022, 04:34:11 PM »
I did a ton of work with the 1977 and 78 Yankees and those guys really love talking about those two years. Hilarious to me that someone like Goose Gossage has been basically blacklisted because anytime you put a mic in front of him he rails about something stupid.

Those guys will come to literally any event the Yankees will ask them for. Kinda sad as they're pretty clearly desperate for cash and attention. The Bucky Dent home run is one of the most iconic yankees moments.

I went to one world series game in NY in 1978.  Jim Beattie's start. What I remember is the fans almost ignoring the Dodgers and still obsessing about the Red Sox.  There were signs "LA $uck$ like Boston" and of course "Boston $uck$" chants while they were playing.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #4: September 28, 2022, 06:35:52 PM »
I went to one world series game in NY in 1978.  Jim Beattie's start. What I remember is the fans almost ignoring the Dodgers and still obsessing about the Red Sox.

Wow, don’t remember ever hearing anything like that, and that was the first set of series I recall following. It does remind me of 1986 when the Mets and Red Sox matchup was set. IIRC, there was an MTV live feed of a gathering in Boston where the focus was on stomping on a Yankees cap.

I had no issue with any of the three teams at the time, and distinctly remember finding it strange that if they were going to take the time to be on camera right before potentially ending the historic title drought, it would be used to step on the cap of a team that was not one that they were about to face. (I also wonder who provided that cap, and why they opted for that one instead of a Mets one.)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 28, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
Wow, don’t remember ever hearing anything like that, and that was the first set of series I recall following. It does remind me of 1986 when the Mets and Red Sox matchup was set. IIRC, there was an MTV live feed of a gathering in Boston where the focus was on stomping on a Yankees cap.

I had no issue with any of the three teams at the time, and distinctly remember finding it strange that if they were going to take the time to be on camera right before potentially ending the historic title drought, it would be used to step on the cap of a team that was not one that they were about to face. (I also wonder who provided that cap, and why they opted for that one instead of a Mets one.)
I may have saved the ticket stub. Row X in roght field upper deck. Literally the last row.

Online imref

« Reply #6: October 02, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
It’s on again now.