Author Topic: Aaron Judge, Babe Ruth, and Roger Maris  (Read 1521 times)

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Aaron Judge, Babe Ruth, and Roger Maris
« Topic Start: September 19, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »

Yes, I followed Maris that year, and Ruth had held the home run record with 60 and the next best with 59 home runs. Good for Judge!

MILWAUKEE -- Aaron Judge is closing in on history, a fact to be made readily apparent by the increased attention that will accompany his every at-bat throughout the remainder of the season. The chants of ‘M-V-P!’, the ovations and the glowing platitudes from teammates and opponents -- it all signals that something special is coming.

Yet the only person who seems unchanged by Judge’s success stands in the box, day after day, belting frozen ropes and chasing legends. Judge launched his Major League-leading 58th and 59th home runs in the Yankees’ 12-8 win over the Brewers on Sunday, closing within two long balls of Roger Maris’ single-season American League record.

“It’s not too difficult if your main focus and your main objective is to go out there and win a game,” Judge said. “The numbers, they’re just numbers. I’m focused on doing what I can to be a good teammate and help the team win. If that means hitting a homer, it means hitting a homer, but it’s never been my focus.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge-hits-58th-home-run-of-2022

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Aaron Judge, Babe Ruth, and Roger Maris
« Reply #1: September 19, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »
I guess we are tossing all of the so-called "records" with an asterisk

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: September 19, 2022, 11:43:01 AM »
Roger Maris*

Online welch

« Reply #3: September 19, 2022, 11:54:48 AM »
Shirley Povich spotted the cheaters in his last column. He knew that McGwire and Sosa were cheating, and he mentioned the "protein" shakes they were drinking. Maris is the single-season homer champ. Judge might beat Maris. He has already matched Ruth's second best, and surpassed Jimmie Fox in 1932 and Hank Greenberg in 1938.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: September 19, 2022, 02:08:48 PM »
Matching or topping Ruth and Maris holds up regardless of what you think of Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds. I am just sorry you can't talk about Griffey as being the target. You have to think he would jave had. 60 in Cinci if he were healthy

Online welch

« Reply #5: September 19, 2022, 04:14:55 PM »
Yes, Griffey was splendid. Career cut short.

For that matter, the original Barry Bonds would have been a Hall of Famer. Saw him with the Pirates against the Mets a few times. Hit everything on the nose, ran like a gazelle, smooth fielder. But then a different Barry Bonds started hitting home runs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: September 19, 2022, 09:35:04 PM »
Shirley Povich spotted the cheaters in his last column. He knew that McGwire and Sosa were cheating, and he mentioned the "protein" shakes they were drinking. Maris is the single-season homer champ. Judge might beat Maris. He has already matched Ruth's second best, and surpassed Jimmie Fox in 1932 and Hank Greenberg in 1938.

Shirley's last column was just amazing.  The Post probably still has that in a searchable archive.  I've posted it before here but more than a decade ago probably. 

Online welch

« Reply #7: September 19, 2022, 11:05:14 PM »
Shirley's last column was just amazing.  The Post probably still has that in a searchable archive.  I've posted it before here but more than a decade ago probably. 

And here it is, again.

McGwire, weighs 245 pounds, stands 6 foot 5, and bulked up by strength coaches and Nautilus weightlifts, plus the new diet of "nutrition shakes" popular in the clubhouses may well hit the ball farther than the 215-pound Ruth, although there are stubborn non-believers. As Walter Johnson once said when asked to compare the Babe's swats with those hammer blows of Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx and Hank Greenberg: "Lemme say this, those balls Ruth hit got smaller quicker than anybody else's."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/general/povich/launch/shirley5.htm

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: September 20, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #9: September 20, 2022, 04:09:04 PM »
Aaron Judge is a much nicer guy that Ruth, Bonds, or McGwire. Sosa I guess was a lovable goofball but didn't exactly cover himself with glory pretending to be dumb in front of Congress or being caught using a corked bat. Never heard anything bad about Maris but I'm not an expert on that era of the game. I know Maris came out of nowhere, had 2 amazing seasons, and then more or less returned to nowhere.

Meanwhile, speaking of Babe Ruth, you also have Ohtani having another unprecedented two-way season in Anaheim. I don't envy the decision MVP voters have before them. I love Shohei Ohtani and think he should win MVP anytime he has a decent 2-way season unless somebody else has an amazing performance: Judge's year probably qualifies for that. He might get the Triple Crown too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: September 20, 2022, 04:31:59 PM »
the possibility of two triple crowns in one season is pretty amazing, although I guess Goldy is not catching up on homers.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: September 20, 2022, 10:34:09 PM »
60!

He better not get busted for PEDs!

Online welch

« Reply #12: September 21, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Judge ties Babe Ruth!

Incidentally. Roger Maris did not come from nowhere and then vanish. Maris was part of the slugging pair with the A's, a major league team that everyone called a Yankee farm team. After five strong seasons with the Yankees, Maris got hurt and New York dumped him to St Louis, where he was a tough player, and important player, on two pennant winners.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marisro01.shtml

Here is the SABR bio of Maris: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Roger-Maris/

Online welch

« Reply #13: September 28, 2022, 10:25:34 PM »
Judge now tied for the single-season home run record!

Online Five Banners

« Reply #14: September 29, 2022, 10:36:54 AM »
Judge now tied for the single-season home run record!

Looks like he’s pointing to the guy with the Day-Glo Zubaz shirt behind home plate
(Or his mom)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: September 29, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »
man if Judge fails a PED test, home runs will forever be ruined.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #16: September 29, 2022, 01:49:17 PM »
man if Judge fails a PED test, home runs will forever be ruined.

Yeah, I think another generation might be inclined to tap out

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: September 29, 2022, 02:15:32 PM »
Yeah, I think another generation might be inclined to tap out

Unless they get to publicly shame and "drag" him. That generation loves that stuff.  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #18: October 04, 2022, 08:59:09 PM »
Welp. He did it. Amazing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: October 04, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
Welp. He did it. Amazing.
I saw his last few ABs in the first game and did not realize there was a second game today.  HE just wanted a little suspense. < 154 to 60, , < 162 to 62.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: October 04, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »
I saw his last few ABs in the first game and did not realize there was a second game today.  HE just wanted a little suspense. < 154 to 60, , < 162 to 62.

First meatball he's seen for a week.  :hysterical:

Online welch

« Reply #21: October 04, 2022, 09:28:18 PM »
Great for Judge!!!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #22: October 04, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
So the Yankees drafted Judge with a compensation pick for losing Nick Swisher to Cleveland. I checked because I thought it might have been for losing Soriano to the Nats, but no. The Nats are not responsible for the Yanks’ face of the franchise; Cleveland is.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #23: October 04, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »
Many players today would have much more demonstrative rounding the bases. Judge ran at a fast pace with no outward "look at me" gestures. Glad he did it.

Online welch

« Reply #24: October 04, 2022, 09:54:05 PM »
Many players today would have much more demonstrative rounding the bases. Judge ran at a fast pace with no outward "look at me" gestures. Glad he did it.

Right. Judge did smile, though.