Author Topic: New rules for 2023  (Read 755 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: New rules for 2023
« Reply #25: September 12, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
I like that idea a lot, but I think they missed the window when they were negotiating for a universal DH.   I guess it hurts the role and value of permanent DHs, but increases the importance of the bench.
meh, the DH was added, but there was a 26th player added, so benches in the NL could stay just as long.

Online nfotiu

« Reply #26: September 12, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »
meh, the DH was added, but there was a 26th player added, so benches in the NL could stay just as long.
I was thinking more along the lines of contracts for DHs.    Are you going to pay a DH 20 million if he only plays the first 6 innings?   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: September 12, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »
A sport that most people find needlessly complicated certainly needs more rules.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: September 13, 2022, 09:18:16 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of contracts for DHs.    Are you going to pay a DH 20 million if he only plays the first 6 innings?

He might not play just the first 6.  There would be nothing stopping Ohtani, for example, from DHing for 6 innings and then finishing the game in RF while the pitcher slides into the spot in the order that was the RF.  That would probably be more usual, even, to prevent the pitcher spot from being in the middle of the order.

Now Nelson Cruz ain't gonna be going to RF, but neither should he be in the middle of any order except at Denny's. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: September 13, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
He might not play just the first 6.  There would be nothing stopping Ohtani, for example, from DHing for 6 innings and then finishing the game in RF while the pitcher slides into the spot in the order that was the RF.  That would probably be more usual, even, to prevent the pitcher spot from being in the middle of the order.

Now Nelson Cruz ain't gonna be going to RF, but neither should he be in the middle of any order except at Denny's.
Kind of a big swath of DHs between Ohtani and Nelson Cruz. Seems unlikely most DHs will be candidates for moving into late inning defensive positions.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #30: September 13, 2022, 10:10:35 AM »
Kind of a big swath of DHs between Ohtani and Nelson Cruz. Seems unlikely most DHs will be candidates for moving into late inning defensive positions.

Probably - they're DHs for a reason - but just highlighting that the option would be there.