Author Topic: Mets Retire Willie Mays 24  (Read 589 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Mets Retire Willie Mays 24
« Reply #25: August 30, 2022, 02:01:31 PM »
The difference is there is no other team or city to honor the old Senators. They accomplished their feats if DC for a Washington team. Willie should be honored in San Francisco. The Mets are not the Giants franchise. If the Mets are honoring him for his New York Giants accomplishments the Yankees could too.
The Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers can both honor Washington Senators, if they wish. Same as the Nationals with the Expos.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #26: August 30, 2022, 02:35:38 PM »
The Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers can both honor Washington Senators, if they wish. Same as the Nationals with the Expos.

Agreed

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #27: August 30, 2022, 02:46:28 PM »
Why do you care about what another team does with its numbers?

I just think it cheapens it when you do things like that. Don't steal the exploits of another team as if they're yours like you don't have enough of your own stars to celebrate. Obviously, nothing against Mays.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #28: August 30, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »
I just think it cheapens it when you do things like that. Don't steal the exploits of another team as if they're yours like you don't have enough of your own stars to celebrate. Obviously, nothing against Mays.

That’s the thing, I really don’t get the sense that they were trying to steal exploits. They have enough players over their history they can and have honored that I don’t think this is about some sort of flail like one might characterize the Rodriguez ring of fame thing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: August 30, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »
42 is retired as a reminder of what Jackie Robinson went through and his significance to the sport. Different story.
I understand that.  My point is, that from an NY perspective, one is a Black Dodger star from the early period of integration, so Mays in a  sense is his counterpart.

By the way, Mays had a tryout with the Red Sox at Fenway before he signed with the Giants. Crushed the ball, very good performance. Supposedly Tom Yawkey, a South Carolinian with a widely recognized racist streak, was watching in the stands and yelled "get that [N-word] out of here" so they passed on signing him over the objections of the scouting staff.  Joe Cronin went along with it.

As Mays recounts in the book, when he was a teenager playing for the Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro Leagues, the Red Sox had a minor league team that shared a field with them. Multiple teams scouted Mays, including the Red Sox, and former Sox scout George Digby actually had a deal in place to purchase Mays’ contract for $4500 in 1950 before it was scuttled by the front office.

“I had Willie Mays bought for $4500,” Digby told me when I interviewed him in 2005. “I called up the Red Sox. I said, ‘I got Willie Mays. He’ll break the color line.'”

“The owner of the Black Barons had told us we could have Mays for $4500. I said, ‘I’ll be back to you by tomorrow.’ Glennon had asked me, ‘What do you think?’ I said, ‘I think he’s a big leaguer.’ We could have had Mays in center and [Ted] Williams in left.”

Instead, as Digby recounted, Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey and General Manager Joe Cronin passed on Mays, saying they “already had made up their minds they weren’t going to take any black players.” Indeed, the Red Sox had years earlier passed on signing Jackie Robinson, with then General Manager Eddie Collins and Yawkey passing for the same shameful reason.
https://bosoxinjection.com/2020/05/15/red-sox-signed-willie-mays/

Howard Bryant has written alot on it and the general topic of the Red Sox and race.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #30: August 30, 2022, 09:44:11 PM »
Wow, can you imagine Willie Mays playing his whole career in Fenway. It was awesome enough but that would of been off the charts. I'm surprised there's not a movement to rename Yawkey Way.

George Preston Marshall had similar sentiments with the Redskins.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: August 30, 2022, 09:51:14 PM »
Wow, can you imagine Willie Mays playing his whole career in Fenway. It was awesome enough but that would of been off the charts. I'm surprised there's not a movement to rename Yawkey Way.

George Preston Marshall had similar sentiments with the Redskins.
they did rename Yawkey Way.  It's back to Jersey Street, I think.  Yawkey is now held in contempt by pretty much every fan.  Bryant I think was the one who said the real curse on the Red Sox was they were so slow to sign black players.  Pumpsie Green I think debuted in 1959. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #32: August 30, 2022, 10:12:38 PM »
they did rename Yawkey Way.  It's back to Jersey Street, I think.  Yawkey is now held in contempt by pretty much every fan.  Bryant I think was the one who said the real curse on the Red Sox was they were so slow to sign black players.  Pumpsie Green I think debuted in 1959.

There you go lol. I didn't know that. The last time I was there it was still Yawkey Way. 4 Jersey Street.