Author Topic: Mets Retire Willie Mays 24  (Read 562 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Mets Retire Willie Mays 24
« Topic Start: August 28, 2022, 01:03:49 PM »
The Mets have retired the Say-Hey kids number 24. I'm not a fan of that. Of over 12,500 plate appearances less than 500 came as a member of the Mets. I know he started in New York with the Giants but still not the Mets. I don't like it when a team tries to steal another teams accomplishments like the Nats have with Ivan Rodriguez and Frank Robinson.

Offline Five Banners

Re: Mets Retire Willie Mays 24
« Reply #1: August 28, 2022, 01:24:56 PM »
The Mets have retired the Say-Hey kids number 24. I'm not a fan of that. Of over 12,500 plate appearances less than 500 came as a member of the Mets. I know he started in New York with the Giants but still not the Mets. I don't like it when a team tries to steal another teams accomplishments like the Nats have with Ivan Rodriguez and Frank Robinson.

He reportedly played over 900 games in New York and won a title with New York’s NL franchise. Having New York’s current National League team which replaced the one that left retire the number of a player of his stature doesn’t strike me as problematic as what was done here with Rodriguez. Plus, the guy is still around in his 90s to receive this recognition.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #2: August 28, 2022, 02:38:36 PM »
He reportedly played over 900 games in New York and won a title with New York’s NL franchise. Having New York’s current National League team which replaced the one that left retire the number of a player of his stature doesn’t strike me as problematic as what was done here with Rodriguez. Plus, the guy is still around in his 90s to receive this recognition.

I agree it's not as bad as Rodriguez. Before the team moved to San Francisco Mays had a little over 3,000 plate appearances with the New York Giants. He had less than 500 with the New York Mets. It just seems like the Mets are celebrating Mays accomplishments with the Giants. Celebrate your own players accomplishments.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: August 28, 2022, 07:19:13 PM »
I agree it's not as bad as Rodriguez. Before the team moved to San Francisco Mays had a little over 3,000 plate appearances with the New York Giants. He had less than 500 with the New York Mets. It just seems like the Mets are celebrating Mays accomplishments with the Giants. Celebrate your own players accomplishments.
not to pick a fight, but it is no less appropriate than the Nats honoring guys like Frank Howard or Walter Johnson, maybe even more appropriate because he finished with the Mets.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: August 28, 2022, 08:26:27 PM »
The Mets traded for Mays in about 1973. He was finished, but I went to Shea and cheered for him. That Met team caused me to pay attention to baseball again, so I'll never forget "Ya gotta BELIEVE!" and all the rest. Have to remind myself that Mays was on the roster, though.

This is typical Mets-sleaze.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #5: August 29, 2022, 12:43:33 PM »
not to pick a fight, but it is no less appropriate than the Nats honoring guys like Frank Howard or Walter Johnson, maybe even more appropriate because he finished with the Mets.

I disagree because Mays heroics were in San Francisco, not New York. I don't think the Mets would of retired Mays number based on his years with the New York Giants as great as they were. To me, when you retire a guys number he was a huge part of the team of your city, not somebody else's city. Howard and Johnson were a huge part of DC baseball and even they haven't had their numbers retired.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #6: August 29, 2022, 01:19:32 PM »
I disagree because Mays heroics were in San Francisco, not New York.

His one World Series win included this historic moment in New York:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: August 29, 2022, 01:43:53 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Yeah I was thinking about that also. Most famous catch ever.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #8: August 29, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Iconic play and Mays was great with the New York Giants but they moved. His legacy is in San Francisco. I just don't like a team from a city celebrating to THAT EXTENT the accomplishments of a player from another team in another city. Celebrate your own.

I totally agree with the Nats celebrating old Senators players with the ring of stars. Nobody else would celebrate their accomplishments and their feats who meant so much to WASHINGTON baseball sh ould not be forgotten.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: August 29, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »
Iconic play and Mays was great with the New York Giants but they moved. His legacy is in San Francisco. I just don't like a team from a city celebrating to THAT EXTENT the accomplishments of a player from another team in another city. Celebrate your own.

I totally agree with the Nats celebrating old Senators players with the ring of stars. Nobody else would celebrate their accomplishments and their feats who meant so much to WASHINGTON baseball sh ould not be forgotten.
how do you feel about Josh Gibson? Homestead Grays really were a Pittsburgh team, and he has a statue. I'll also assume Harmon Killebrew and most of those late 50s Senators are more Minnesota than Nats.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #10: August 29, 2022, 02:53:25 PM »
In the baseball fan circles I hang out with, "Willie Mays on the Mets" is the go-to reference to make when talking about a once-great person reaching the twilight of their career.

That said, Willie Mays may be the GOAT at baseball so who can really complain about more accolades for him. And unlike a lot of sports GOATs he is universally considered a nice guy.

Offline welch

« Reply #11: August 29, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »

Howard, Killebrew, Sievers, Pascual, Tom Cheney, all the rest back to Walter Johnson, all of them played for the Washington baseball team of their time.

The Mets collected Willie Mays after he could no longer play. I remember him once stumbling and falling as he got out of the batter's box. Met fans, like me, groaned. We felt that the Mets ownership and GM had embarrassed a great man just for some publicity.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: August 29, 2022, 02:59:54 PM »
Mayswon a rookie of the year in ny, an mvp, a world series, plus a few other major awards.  If a player can be honored in 2 cities, he's got a good case. Mays would not hold the career stats but for his nyc time. To me, its more the different franchise than his ny performance.

Offline welch

« Reply #13: August 29, 2022, 03:02:03 PM »
how do you feel about Josh Gibson? Homestead Grays really were a Pittsburgh team, and he has a statue. I'll also assume Harmon Killebrew and most of those late 50s Senators are more Minnesota than Nats.

I've got no opinion on Josh Gibson.

I was listening the game Killebrew got his first home run. That was 1954. Nats fans called him our kid, and followed him until Calvin Griffith stole our team. Same the with other '59 and '60 Senators, or earlier guys like Mickey Vernon. Earlier guys, such as Cecil Travis, Buddy Lewis, "the Wrecking Crew of '33" or the super team of the 1920s.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #14: August 29, 2022, 06:04:14 PM »

The Grays split their time in DC and Pittsburg. I would have no problem with the Nats celebrating the players on the Grays team in DC because they didn't really belong to either team more than the other if I am correct.

Harmon Killebrew should not be celebrated by the Nats. He had two good years in Washington before having a HOF career in Minnesota. His number is retired in Minnesota where it should be. Again, teams and players who have great careers in cities should be celebrated in that city and not another team and city. Celebrate the players who deserve it in your city, not somebody else's.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #15: August 29, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »
Mayswon a rookie of the year in ny, an mvp, a world series, plus a few other major awards.  If a player can be honored in 2 cities, he's got a good case. Mays would not hold the career stats but for his nyc time. To me, its more the different franchise than his ny performance.

All of Mays accomplishments were made in the Giants franchise. He played two years at the end of his career in the Mets franchise. Even if you took his four great years for the New York Giants into account for the Mets they're not going to retire his number for that. Without all the incredible years he had in San Francisco they're not even thinking about retiring his number.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #16: August 29, 2022, 06:17:13 PM »
I've got no opinion on Josh Gibson.

I was listening the game Killebrew got his first home run. That was 1954. Nats fans called him our kid, and followed him until Calvin Griffith stole our team. Same the with other '59 and '60 Senators, or earlier guys like Mickey Vernon. Earlier guys, such as Cecil Travis, Buddy Lewis, "the Wrecking Crew of '33" or the super team of the 1920s.

I wouldn't lump Killebrew in with Johnson, and all the other great former Senators. Killebrew had two great years in DC and wouldn't be celebrated on those years alone. He had many great years in Minnesota and his number is retired there. Guys like Johnson and those other great Senators had their years in DC and are celebrated for those years and wouldn't be honored anywhere else.

Offline welch

« Reply #17: August 29, 2022, 08:14:30 PM »
I wouldn't lump Killebrew in with Johnson, and all the other great former Senators. Killebrew had two great years in DC and wouldn't be celebrated on those years alone. He had many great years in Minnesota and his number is retired there. Guys like Johnson and those other great Senators had their years in DC and are celebrated for those years and wouldn't be honored anywhere else.

When I go to a New Nationals game, I wear a Mitchell & Ness replica Senators jersey, 1959 - 60, number 3. Autographed by Harmon, himself. My daughter gave it to me about 2000. A few years before, I took my son to a Caps game at the MCI Center, and a sports bar nearby had the same Killebrew jersey to advertise themselves. He was pretty important to kids my age -- 12 when Calvin Griffith took the team. In the Summer of '59, us kids went to the Hechts at PG Plaza to see Killebrew and Allison one evening. They were a big deal to young fans. 

Offline welch

« Reply #18: August 29, 2022, 08:17:24 PM »
The point is Mays, though. Mays was important to NY fans, but not as a Met. When the Mets collected him, many fans talked about what they remembered from Mays when he played for the Giants. I had a professor who said, when Willie Mays retired, "Now I feel old".

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #19: August 29, 2022, 09:36:49 PM »
When I go to a New Nationals game, I wear a Mitchell & Ness replica Senators jersey, 1959 - 60, number 3. Autographed by Harmon, himself. My daughter gave it to me about 2000. A few years before, I took my son to a Caps game at the MCI Center, and a sports bar nearby had the same Killebrew jersey to advertise themselves. He was pretty important to kids my age -- 12 when Calvin Griffith took the team. In the Summer of '59, us kids went to the Hechts at PG Plaza to see Killebrew and Allison one evening. They were a big deal to young fans.

Yep, if that idiot Calvin Griffith hadn't moved the team Washington could of had guys like Killebrew, Oliva, Allison, Battey, Versailes, Kaat and so many more. Fantastic present from your daughter.

My brother-in-law is buried near Glark and Calvin Griffith's grave. Every time I visit my brother-in-law it's all I can do to not take a leak on Calvin's grave.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: August 30, 2022, 10:07:14 AM »
I'm fine with the Mets honoring Willie Mays. I feel like it is also honoring his time as a New York baseball Giant.

I'm fine with the Nationals honoring Senators players when those franchises fled town and there's now no official link. I don't see the difference with Mays and the Mets.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #21: August 30, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
I'm fine with the Mets honoring Willie Mays. I feel like it is also honoring his time as a New York baseball Giant.

I'm fine with the Nationals honoring Senators players when those franchises fled town and there's now no official link. I don't see the difference with Mays and the Mets.

The difference is there is no other team or city to honor the old Senators. They accomplished their feats if DC for a Washington team. Willie should be honored in San Francisco. The Mets are not the Giants franchise. If the Mets are honoring him for his New York Giants accomplishments the Yankees could too.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: August 30, 2022, 11:36:46 AM »
well, the Mets draw pretty heavily from both previous NL teams, down to copying the Giants logo script and copying Dodger blue as the primary color.  It's no accident that they are Dodger blue and orange.  That's the whole purpose.  42 is retired across baseball, but he's a Dodger, so 24 is a counterpart in NYC.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #23: August 30, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
well, the Mets draw pretty heavily from both previous NL teams, down to copying the Giants logo script and copying Dodger blue as the primary color.  It's no accident that they are Dodger blue and orange.  That's the whole purpose.  42 is retired across baseball, but he's a Dodger, so 24 is a counterpart in NYC.

42 is retired as a reminder of what Jackie Robinson went through and his significance to the sport. Different story.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: August 30, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
42 is retired as a reminder of what Jackie Robinson went through and his significance to the sport. Different story.
Why do you care about what another team does with its numbers?