Author Topic: The Cavalli Has Arrived (delayed until 2024) - Cade Cavalli  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: The Cavalli Has Arrived - Cade Cavalli
« Reply #25: August 30, 2022, 04:56:43 PM »
Amazing. I will assume the arm has been bothering him for a while and he told no one as he wanted to make MLB this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: August 30, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
Onto the DL with a shoulder injury. It took our coaching staff literally one game to break him.
this is so beyond absurd.  do they bother to X-ray guys in Rochester?  I mean, this is like Tetrault, except with an important piece.   I think a few other guys went on the IL after one or two appearances. Of course, Strasburg . . .

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: August 30, 2022, 05:00:28 PM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/cade-cavalli-shut-down-for-two-weeks-due-to-shoulder-inflammation.html

To everyone who said I was dumb for wanting to rush him up to start in a waste of a season, this is for you.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: August 30, 2022, 05:00:45 PM »
Amazing. I will assume the arm has been bothering him for a while and he told no one as he wanted to make MLB this year.
you know how costly this is in terms of team control in the future?  They had to add him to the 40 man and start his service clock.  They would have had control until 2029 if they had waited until 2 weeks into next year.  They also cut Clippard to make room for this dude.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #29: August 30, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »
this is so beyond absurd.  do they bother to X-ray guys in Rochester?  I mean, this is like Tetrault, except with an important piece.   I think a few other guys went on the IL after one or two appearances. Of course, Strasburg . . .

We saved a few bucks for the sale of the team by cutting medical treatment in AAA and by hiring the worst coaching staff in the league. Mark is going to make another $300k though so try to be happy JCA.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #30: August 30, 2022, 05:11:46 PM »
Crazy.  There must be some occult and witchcraft supply store in the Galleria with a grievance against the landlord.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #31: August 30, 2022, 05:13:36 PM »
you know how costly this is in terms of team control in the future?  They had to add him to the 40 man and start his service clock.  They would have had control until 2029 if they had waited until 2 weeks into next year.  They also cut Clippard to make room for this dude.

There seem to have been just plain incongruous decisions this year. The way the whole Clippard thing was handled was just one of them.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #32: August 30, 2022, 05:14:29 PM »

Who’s his agent?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #33: August 30, 2022, 05:14:32 PM »
Oh ffs

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: August 30, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »
We saved a few bucks for the sale of the team by cutting medical treatment in AAA and by hiring the worst coaching staff in the league. Mark is going to make another $300k though so try to be happy JCA.
That’s HOF Mark to you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: August 30, 2022, 05:19:55 PM »
Well I was on record as saying he was not ready. You can tell by the walks and balls versus strikes at Rochester that he lacked command. Maybe it was an injury all along. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: August 30, 2022, 05:20:36 PM »
Who’s his agent?
Sign him long term now. Buy low.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: August 30, 2022, 06:02:14 PM »
I admire the Nats for not manipulating service time, I truly do. But some of these call-up decisions have been absolutely mind boggling.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: August 30, 2022, 06:04:30 PM »
via MASN:
“I'm gonna start off by saying that we are going to shut Cade down for two weeks,” Martinez said. “He threw in the game. Came back the next day, was going through his routine, he's playing catch. After about 10 throws, he said he felt tight in the shoulder area. So we shut him down. He came in, we got him an MRI right away.”

The MRI came back mostly clean. There was no damage to the shoulder itself, but there was some inflammation.

“Everything looks good except for he has a little bit of inflammation around the capsule,” Martinez said. “But the labrum tendons, the rotator cuff, everything's very, very clean. So we're gonna be very, very cautious. We talked to Cade. Cade says he feels good today. But we need to be very, very cautious. We're talking about a kid that's part of a big future of ours. So we're gonna take it easy. And hopefully we can knock this out in a couple of weeks and then we'll re-evaluate after that.”

Sounds like they are just being extra careful with him. No reason to push him at this point.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #40: August 30, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »
I admire the Nats for not manipulating service time, I truly do. But some of these call-up decisions have been absolutely mind boggling.
Cavalli was ready enough. He had the performance at Rochester.

He was clearly struggling to grip the ball in his start. I gott a think that was what caused this. But the stuff was good.

Offline catocony

« Reply #41: August 30, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »
I mean, he's only getting 40 days or so of service time this year.  They can option him to AAA in the spring and he can stay there until late May and they still have him for 6 full seasons beyond next year.  Assuming he sticks with the team permanently after late May. 

This isn't a Ross Detwiler situation where they added him to the 40-man in September as a "thank-you" for signing quickly after the draft when he could have used an extra year in the minors beyond the 3 option years. 

Offline catocony

« Reply #42: August 30, 2022, 06:49:18 PM »
Cavalli was ready enough. He had the performance at Rochester.

He was clearly struggling to grip the ball in his start. I gott a think that was what caused this. But the stuff was good.
He looked to be to be over-torquing on every breaking pitch, so it's quite possible that the grip problems stressed his arm out enough to flair things up. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: August 30, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »
Cavalli lacks command of his pitches. He has no idea where that curve is going and not much better with the fastball.  Three and a half walks per 9 at Rochester was a major clue.  Can’t get away with that at the MLB level.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #44: August 30, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »
You can't make crap like this up.  Bring up your top pitching prospect.  Next stop, shoulder injury.  FFS.

Onwards to happier subjects, like meth:

thing is with Olsen, would he look all that strange if he were pitching today?  I mean, I remember the controversy about guys pitching with a lot of tattoos on their arms and making them wear long sleeves.  That was maybe 15 years ago.  That's before we even discuss hair and beards.  I mean, Jonny Damon in 2004 was out there.  That's Blackmon, Walsh, and more guys than you can name.

I don't even remember if he had tats or not.  I'm going only from his face and build.  And the beard isn't the issue - I had a near-Blackmon beard for a while, and I'm a big firm lawyer.  The world's largely past that.

via MASN:
Sounds like they are just being extra careful with him. No reason to push him at this point.

"Mostly clean."  Adverbs, yo.

Anyone else remember that scene from The Princess Bride?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: August 30, 2022, 08:51:16 PM »
I mean, he's only getting 40 days or so of service time this year.  They can option him to AAA in the spring and he can stay there until late May and they still have him for 6 full seasons beyond next year.  Assuming he sticks with the team permanently after late May. 

This isn't a Ross Detwiler situation where they added him to the 40-man in September as a "thank-you" for signing quickly after the draft when he could have used an extra year in the minors beyond the 3 option years. 
essentially, you are saying they have to keep him down 2 months to get back the time rather than 2 weeks at the start of next year.  well, that means he couldn't be penciled into the rotation at the start of the year (given that you only need 4 starters for a time or two).  Can you imagine the howling about "why is he in the minors" next year if they did that?  He could have finished the year in AAA and gotten his full-season of innings in (or, as it turns out, on the IL). 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: August 30, 2022, 10:17:30 PM »
So, glass half full
Cavalli lacks command of his pitches. He has no idea where that curve is going and not much better with the fastball.  Three and a half walks per 9 at Rochester was a major clue.  Can’t get away with that at the MLB level.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #47: August 31, 2022, 10:41:36 AM »
This sounds very precautionary. The Nats are historically very careful with their pitchers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #48: August 31, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
This sounds very precautionary. The Nats are historically very careful with their pitchers.
At the moment, they do not deserve benefit of the doubt.

With as many injury issues as we have up and down the organization, I'm leaning toward their risk-reward balance with pitching is accepting of way too much risk.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #49: August 31, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »
I'm not giving any benefit of doubt, I'm calling a spade a spade. There's no tear, just inflammation. Nats said it's precautionary and if they were in contention they would just skip a start. There's nothing "risky" about promoting Cavalli outside of standard pitching risk. He wasn't injured.