Author Topic: The Cavalli Has Arrived (delayed until 2024) - Cade Cavalli  (Read 4979 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Can he top 14Ks tonight?

Offline catocony

Re: The Cavalli Has Arrived - Cade Cavalli
« Reply #1: August 26, 2022, 05:04:04 PM »
I remember Colin Balester's first start....

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: August 26, 2022, 05:28:51 PM »
Can he top 14Ks tonight?
Not in 4.1 innings.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: August 26, 2022, 05:37:28 PM »
Tools: Fastball: 70 | Changeup: 55 | Slider: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Control: 50
Skinny: Few pitchers can match Cavalli on pure stuff. His mid-to-high-90s fastball, as well as his plus slider and curveball, will dominate for short stretches, but at times his command betrays him. If Cavalli can harness his stuff he has frontline upside.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #4: August 26, 2022, 05:46:53 PM »
BA Grade: 55/High

Track Record: As a 2020 draftee, Cavalli's minor league debut was delayed to 2021, though he did impress at the Nationals' alternate training site in 2020 after being drafted 22nd overall out of Oklahoma. Once on the field this year, the righthander wasted no time making a statement, soaring from High-A to Triple-A over the course of the season. Importantly, after battling injuries in college, Cavalli stayed healthy all season and showed his ability to handle a heavy workload. He led the minor leagues with 157 strikeouts.

Scouting Report: Cavalli's stuff is electric. Over the summer, rival managers in Double-A Northeast voted his the best fastball and breaking ball in the league. His fastball sits 95-97 mph and has touched as high as 100 using an easy, yet powerful delivery. He throws two distinct breaking balls, a power curveball and a slider that is cutterish at times. The latter is used effectively to get off hitters' barrels. He gets good sink on his changeup, but evaluators are less enthused about that offering. He has a sinker in his arsenal, but it's a distant fifth pitch. Don't be fooled by his big frame, either. Cavalli is a plus athlete who fields his position well. He struggled a bit in his short time at Triple-A, but the organization is working with him to get outs in the zone more often, a necessity against mature hitters.

The Future: The Nationals couldn't have asked for much more out of Cavalli in 2021, and he looks the part of a front-of-the-rotation starter whose arrival will come sooner rather than later.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 70. Curveball: 55. Slider: 60. Changeup: 55. Control: 50.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: August 26, 2022, 08:38:25 PM »
Not in 4.1 innings.
Four and a third. Called it.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #6: August 26, 2022, 10:53:18 PM »
That fastball is not as advertised

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: August 26, 2022, 11:22:41 PM »
That fastball is not as advertised
Im sorry, but are you referring to Cade Cavalli's fastball? The one where he pumped over 97 five times? Or hitting 95 with 2350 spin on his 98th pitch?

All his pitches looked great.

Offline imref

« Reply #8: August 27, 2022, 12:02:25 AM »
Hopefully just first game jitters.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #9: August 27, 2022, 12:33:42 AM »
I went to the game tonight. His curve seemed really good. I could see the break from where I was sitting. The only thing I would say is he didn't seem to have enough confidence in his mid to upper 90's fastball. It seemed like he should of been challenging the hitters more. Even though he didn't have a good outing I was impressed with his stuff.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: August 27, 2022, 07:13:12 AM »
Im sorry, but are you referring to Cade Cavalli's fastball? The one where he pumped over 97 five times? Or hitting 95 with 2350 spin on his 98th pitch?

I think GataNats was drunk or his eyes are bad. 95.6 average velocity. I think the issue with all his pitches is location. 

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2022/8/27/23324176/good-bad-cade-cavalli-mlb-debut-for-washington-nationals

"Cavalli threw 40% fastballs, 36% curves, 13% changeups, 8% sliders, and 2% sinkers, with 13 swinging strikes (six with his curve, five with his 4-seamer, and two with his changeup), and got 10 called strikes (five with his fastball, three with his changeup, and two with his curve), averaging in 95.6 MPH on his four-seam fastball, which got up to 97.8 MPH, mixing in his curve (85.1), and the changeup (87.4), along with his 90.5 MPH slider, and 93.7 MPH sinker."

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #11: August 27, 2022, 09:06:15 AM »
It's sometimes hard to see young pitchers go out there and learn the last pieces of being a true pitcher at the MLB level, and us Nats fans seem to forget JZimm's development and only remember Stras tearing it up. Stras ain't the norm, and most pitchers take their lumps. From what we've seen of Cavalli and Gray, those guys look like legit guys with great stuff who can develop into top of the rotation pitchers. Gore seemed to be doing that in San Diego. It truly would be a healthy three horses to build off of.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: August 27, 2022, 10:15:28 AM »
I think GataNats was drunk or his eyes are bad. 95.6 average velocity. I think the issue with all his pitches is location. 

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2022/8/27/23324176/good-bad-cade-cavalli-mlb-debut-for-washington-nationals

"Cavalli threw 40% fastballs, 36% curves, 13% changeups, 8% sliders, and 2% sinkers, with 13 swinging strikes (six with his curve, five with his 4-seamer, and two with his changeup), and got 10 called strikes (five with his fastball, three with his changeup, and two with his curve), averaging in 95.6 MPH on his four-seam fastball, which got up to 97.8 MPH, mixing in his curve (85.1), and the changeup (87.4), along with his 90.5 MPH slider, and 93.7 MPH sinker."

Change up was impressive as was his use of it. The pitches are really good. Its just consistency at this point.

Reminds me of Zack Wheeler

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: August 27, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »
It's sometimes hard to see young pitchers go out there and learn the last pieces of being a true pitcher at the MLB level, and us Nats fans seem to forget JZimm's development and only remember Stras tearing it up. Stras ain't the norm, and most pitchers take their lumps. From what we've seen of Cavalli and Gray, those guys look like legit guys with great stuff who can develop into top of the rotation pitchers. Gore seemed to be doing that in San Diego. It truly would be a healthy three horses to build off of.
If i recall correctly, Strasburg struggled some in his starts after the opening night.  Seem to remember him struggling in Cleveland and fidgeting all over with the mound and his landing spots. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: August 27, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »
If i recall correctly, Strasburg struggled some in his starts after the opening night.  Seem to remember him struggling in Cleveland and fidgeting all over with the mound and his landing spots.
Here are his game logs.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pitchinglogs.php?p=strasst01&y=2010

I think it's a big difference now also as so many throw in the high to mid 90s and have 90 MPH changeups.  The hitters have adjusted. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #15: August 27, 2022, 03:53:41 PM »
Strasburg was #1 prospect in baseball. Cavalli slipped out of Top 50. Not a fair comparison.

Offline imref

« Reply #16: August 27, 2022, 04:00:04 PM »
Strasburg was #1 prospect in baseball. Cavalli slipped out of Top 50. Not a fair comparison.

yes. definitely not fair to compare the two. Cavalli is the best pitching prospect to arrive in D.C. since Strasburg, but he's nowhere near at that level. 

He did have 6Ks though. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: August 27, 2022, 04:06:52 PM »
Well yeah. And even Strasburg had some bumps in the road. All I was trying to say.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #18: August 27, 2022, 05:27:45 PM »

Yeah, this

Offline catocony

« Reply #19: August 28, 2022, 09:57:26 PM »
Plunking three batters in 4 1/3rd in your debut is not quite Ricky Vaughn territory, but when you're sweating like Scott Olsen and chucking like Henry Rodriguez, I start to feel uneasy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: August 29, 2022, 07:34:53 AM »
Plunking three batters in 4 1/3rd in your debut is not quite Ricky Vaughn territory, but when you're sweating like Scott Olsen and chucking like Henry Rodriguez, I start to feel uneasy.
:rofl:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #21: August 29, 2022, 04:01:45 PM »

It was his MLB debut.  If he's still doing that next June, then maybe it's a concern.  But I loled at the Scott Olsen callback.  Dude looked like he was always on the downward slope of a meth binge.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: August 30, 2022, 08:47:10 AM »
It was his MLB debut.  If he's still doing that next June, then maybe it's a concern.  But I loled at the Scott Olsen callback.  Dude looked like he was always on the downward slope of a meth binge.
thing is with Olsen, would he look all that strange if he were pitching today?  I mean, I remember the controversy about guys pitching with a lot of tattoos on their arms and making them wear long sleeves.  That was maybe 15 years ago.  That's before we even discuss hair and beards.  I mean, Jonny Damon in 2004 was out there.  That's Blackmon, Walsh, and more guys than you can name.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: August 30, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »
Onto the DL with a shoulder injury. It took our coaching staff literally one game to break him.

Offline imref

« Reply #24: August 30, 2022, 04:38:09 PM »
:( . Corey Abbott, come on back