Author Topic: NL Wild Card  (Read 244 times)

Offline Senatorswin

NL Wild Card
« Topic Start: August 19, 2022, 01:10:35 PM »
Bell is tanking with San Diego. Soto is getting on base big time but only 1 home run and 3 RBI with San Diego in 53 ABs. Hader can't get anybody out. The Padres lost 2 of 4 games with the Nats so far.

Harper is projected to come back around September 1st. Give the Phils credit for hanging in there in his absence. Looks like they will probably get in but I root for anybody but the Phils. CMON Brewers.

Whoever is runner-up in NL East gets the 1st Wild Card, Mets or Braves. Probably Braves.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: NL Wild Card
« Reply #1: August 19, 2022, 01:13:01 PM »
I wonder how warm the manager's seat in San Diego is right now.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #2: August 19, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »
I wonder how warm the manager's seat in San Diego is right now.

Good point. I didn't think about that. He's got to be feeling pressure. They won't fire him this year but if they don't get the wild card he's got to be fired.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: August 19, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »
Good point. I didn't think about that. He's got to be feeling pressure. They won't fire him this year but if they don't get the wild card he's got to be fired.
I was going to say the same thing.  But who knows with Preller.  He could bring the axe down anytime.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #4: August 19, 2022, 03:07:46 PM »
I was going to say the same thing.  But who knows with Preller.  He could bring the axe down anytime.

Preller will fire him if he needs to in order to avoid any scrutiny of Preller.  Actual performance doesn't matter.  Never mind that Preller's on about his fourth manager in eight years, all picked by Preller, and the team's never won crap despite climbing further and further up the standings in payroll.  Definitely it's the manager's fault every time.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: August 19, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »
Preller will fire him if he needs to in order to avoid any scrutiny of Preller.  Actual performance doesn't matter.  Never mind that Preller's on about his fourth manager in eight years, all picked by Preller, and the team's never won crap despite climbing further and further up the standings in payroll.  Definitely it's the manager's fault every time.
Well yeah. Sacrifice the manager to save your job. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #6: August 20, 2022, 07:52:47 AM »
I wish the Phillies nothing but the worst, but they will be a tough out if Harper picks up where he left off.  I would prefer them to tank and miss the post-season but they seem to be figuring it out.  Was Joe Girardi that much of an A-hole?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: August 20, 2022, 09:21:30 AM »
Does it make me petty that I want the Padres to fail to make the playoffs?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: August 20, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »

Preller gets fired before Melvin

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: August 20, 2022, 09:52:20 AM »
I kind of don't.  I think they are less likely to deal Soto to recover some of what they gave up if they stay on the fringe of the playoffs.  Among the NL West teams, I like the Dodgers. It's hard for me not to like Trea, Mookie, and Freddie.  SF I think is interesting the way they are built, I've liked the Rockies, but the D-backs not so much for some reason.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #10: August 20, 2022, 11:04:15 AM »

No, it's just a symptom of your pettiness.  Mine, too.  I'd literally the St. Louis Carpenters make it instead.

Preller gets fired before Melvin

Ah, one of AJ Preller's myriad mistakes?  Hiring a manager with actual credibility?

Online nfotiu

« Reply #11: August 20, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
I kind of don't.  I think they are less likely to deal Soto to recover some of what they gave up if they stay on the fringe of the playoffs.  Among the NL West teams, I like the Dodgers. It's hard for me not to like Trea, Mookie, and Freddie.  SF I think is interesting the way they are built, I've liked the Rockies, but the D-backs not so much for some reason.
Although, it would be interesting to see what the return looks like in the off-season vs when we traded him.

Soto may well get hot and lead them to the playoffs, but if he continues his middling play and the Padres miss, then I think his value tanks a bit.   

I still like Soto, and don't really like rooting against him, but I will snicker a bit if he has a few <.900 OPS/<6 WAR seasons, then he's not getting close to 400-500 million offers.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #12: August 20, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »
Although, it would be interesting to see what the return looks like in the off-season vs when we traded him.

Soto may well get hot and lead them to the playoffs, but if he continues his middling play and the Padres miss, then I think his value tanks a bit.   

I still like Soto, and don't really like rooting against him, but I will snicker a bit if he has a few <.900 OPS/<6 WAR seasons, then he's not getting close to 400-500 million offers.

Nobody can live up to a $500M contract. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #13: August 20, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
I would like to see the Phils and Padres not make the playoffs but that would mean the Brewers and Giants would have to get hot. Maybe the Brewers could do it but it doesn't look like the Giants can. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Braves overtake the Mets for the division but I have to root for the Mets this weekend because they're playing the Phils.