Author Topic: Premature in season speculation about next year's roster  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Let's remember the goal here. This team is in a rebuild, rebuilds take 4-5 years. Realistically this team will not be good until the 2024 season at the earliest and perhaps not until the 2025 season. Everything the Nationals should do should be with the goal of making the 2024-2025+ Nationals as good as possible.

So what are realistic goals for the 2023 Nationals? To loose 100 games and earn the team a top 5 draft pick that can be used to draft a future superstar who will come to the majors in 2024 or 2025.

With that in mind every position should be manned by one of four types of players:

(1) prospects who have the potential to become superstars by 2024-2025
(2) superstars who will be under team control through at least the end of the 2025 season and are likely to still be superstars in 2025
(3) AAAA-level players who will make peanuts and put up replacement numbers - whether they are overpromoted minor leaguers or journeymen FAs is immaterial
(4) free agents signed for reasonably affordable 1-2 year deals in the hopes that the Nationals can trade them at the deadline for prospects

By #2, I mean guys like Manny Machado for the 2019 Padres or Jayson Werth for the 2011 Nationals. I think it's probably a year too early to make any moves like that. Look for that next offseason.

In terms of #3, I think that is where Kieboom staying on the team for another season comes into play. If he puts up a -1.7 WAR, that's great assuming he's not blocking a prospect. That's the kind of performance that will get you to 90+ losses and a top 5 draft pick.

In terms of #4, I would like to see the team sign some good relief pitchers. Obviously they will not have a ton of leads to hold in Washington, but every team is desperate for relief pitching at the deadline. This is also where you can pick players like Michael Conforto off the scrap heap, hope they have a bounceback season, and flip them at the deadline for lotto tickets.

In terms of #1, now is when the Nationals should be seeking to aggressively sign these players to long-term extensions that buy out their first few years of free agency, the way that the Braves and White Sox have done for years now. Once they materialize into consistent superstars it is too late.