Author Topic: Premature in season speculation about next year's roster  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Section214

I don't really want to go out and spend tons of money this offseason, at least not with any long-term contracts. It would be nice to get 1 or maybe 2 veteran SPs we can maybe overpay for 1-2 year deals just to field a competitive rotation. Corey Kluber, Michael Wacha, Wade Miley, Matt Boyd, Ross Stripling etc.

It would be nice to have an actual set of 5 guys heading into the season that could theoretically throw 6 innings. We can't just count on Gore - Cavalli - Gray - Fedde - ? with Cavalli and Gore being ? in their own right.. I don't want to see them go big on someone like Manaea or Eovaldi though with some long-term deal.

As for the lineup, I want to go out and overpay Andrew Benintendi. He is not the sexiest option, but he could be our Jayson Werth or what the Braves did with Nick Markakis. Veteran guy who plays a very solid corner OF and gets on base. He could hit 2-3 in our bad lineup while we wait for all the kids to arrive, by the time we are competitive again he can be our 7 hitter while he plays out his contract. I don't want them to throw around huge contracts this offseason, save that for next offseason when we know what holes need to be filled, but I would love to have Benintendi nailed on as one guy in the lineup we can count on.

Oh and the first thing we should do is line up a brinks truck to get Trea back, but I think that ship has sailed...